Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zachary_harris4

Paint in AC vents? Is this normal?

Zac Harris
2 years ago

I just moved into a new construction two weeks ago and noticed all of our AC vents have overspray in them, some of which have paint on the ducts they lead into.

Is this normal? Any health concerns?

Comments (6)

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Why would it be any more of a health concern than dry paint on a wall?

• kevin9408
    2 years ago

Walls are spray painted before the vent covers are installed, common and nothing to worry about and it doesn't hurt a thing.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    2 years ago

Hmm sounds like another "builder grade" problem. LOL.

Kevin mentioned it's due to "spray on paint" ----- builders don't roll on paint. There's videos of some pro painters on YouTube that show them painting = err spray painting a room in under 10 minutes. (Beating previous records if you can imagine that.)

• In the new home builder realm, it's more about speed. How fast can someone get it done. Because the faster you are the more money you make. Some builders like to talk quality this and that... but it's mostly "talk". (I like to call it yickety yack, ha-ha)

So the grill is placed and magically the "over spray" disappears. -magic. In new home build it's about what you can see.

The real question is: after two weeks of living here, why are you removing the AC vents?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

I service the Katy, Texas area.

• HU-469011444
    9 months ago

I am for getting no paint in duct work. i removed my grill after repeated vacuming dried paint pieces off the floor blowing out of the ceiling vent after painters didnt bother to cover duct work.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    9 months ago

It's awful difficult to maintain an indoor environment that's heated and/or air conditioned and suitable for painting when all the HVAC supplies and returns are covered up. If you have a need to make the interior of duct work paint free, that's a requirement which needs to be stated in the painter's scope of work. They can remove any over spray and build the cost into their pricing.

• kevin9408
    9 months ago

I charge an extra $120 per hour to remove paint from duct work with a 4 hour minimum.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations