Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_vaughan9117175

Wonky kitchen layout advice

Cheryl Vaughan
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have this wonky kitchen layout that has an 10’8 then goes to a 14’ width. the length is 18 ft on the counter side. there is 3ft between counter and island giving a 4 ft width and 8ft length. sink and dw will be on island and the rest on counter . Kitchen opens to dining room . i would be open to suggestions of different placement of appliances or do you think this could work ok?

Comments (12)

• Cheryl Vaughan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Palimpsest this is an apartment with floor ceiling patio windows in dining room and other side of kitchen so no window in kitchen yes this is to scale and this is the current layout that cant be changed because of other factors beyond control

• Cheryl Vaughan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Would anyone rhink the fridge should move to where the oven is and vice versa? any suggestions for placement other than whats shown?

• Buehl
    2 years ago

Do you have a fully-measured layout and sketch of the entire first floor that you can post? If not, draw it up for us. It doesn't have to be to-scale or fancy, but it should have all measurements labeled.

Excerpt from the "New to Kitchens? Read Me First!" thread:

By "fully-measured", we mean a layout with the widths of each wall/window/door/doorway and the distances between each wall/window/door/doorway labeled. See a sample below. If something cannot be moved or changed, label it precisely on your layout (see post in sample) and tell us why it cannot be moved/changed -- we may have some ideas for you.

The sketch of the entire floor lets us see how the Kitchen relates to the rest of the home. It doesn't have to be to-scale, but it should accurately show how the rooms relate to each other and should include all interior & exterior doors. In addition, it will help us see how traffic flows in, around, and through the Kitchen. Label the front entry and family entry. The family entry is usually a garage or side entry, but it might not be. It's helpful to know which door you use to bring in groceries.

Other questions...

• Tell us about you and your family and how you plan to use your Kitchen. All-adults? Empty Nesters? Children (now or in the future)?
    • What appliances (& their sizes) do you plan to have?
    • Where are you flexible? Can walls/windows/doors/doorways change (move, change size, add, delete)?
    • Do you have a basement under the Kitchen or are you on a slab?

Cheryl Vaughan thanked Buehl
  • mainenell
    2 years ago

The corner counter by the fridge will be inaccessible. I think you don’t have enough space for separate oven and cooktop. Suggest you use a range. Then moving the fridge might be the best IF there is enough aisle space.

Cheryl Vaughan thanked mainenell
  • palimpsest
    2 years ago

The way the refrigerator is drawn is as if it is a true counter depth refrigerator of about 30 wide. This may be what you are planning on, but a refrigerator of that sort is in the $5000-12,000 range. With refrigerator placement you have to determine in general what size and type of refrigerator you are planning getting including depth because they make them deeper and deeper all the time. Plus the door opening requires some inches on one side for the hinge action and some doorswing beyond 90 to access the drawers and such. Only a true build-in will have hinge function that works within the dimension of the actual width of the carcass, and not even all of them have this.

Cheryl Vaughan thanked palimpsest
  • herbflavor
    2 years ago

unknown is desire and true need for seating at island. I think most apartments would present with dining zone...MAYBE a couple stools at a peninsula. If you banked cabinets and fridge against the right side wall you could have the pantry set up there and other storage needs be inserted like a broom closet...cubby holes...more drawers .....storage of various sorts always useful in apartments or small quarters . You have used up space w island for questionable seating needs in apartment setting...and then you need aisle which is one of two aisles. If you put fridge and storage on right wall...the floor space can remain free flowing and the left wall with sink and range[18 feet of length ] could have deeper counters.

Cheryl Vaughan thanked herbflavor
  • girl_wonder
    2 years ago

I had similar reactions to others. maybe a range instead of a cooktop to create a long continous stretch of counter. For max functionality you want at least one long stretch. i see a lot of walkways around the island and not a lot of storage. Is an island the best use of space? seems like guests could be hanging out by the dining table vs. barstools. so maybe consider dropping the island in favor of storage on the currently empty wall. if it fits, i see advatages of placing the fridge near the dining table—guests could help themselves to drinks.

Cheryl Vaughan thanked girl_wonder
  • emilyam819
    2 years ago

Maybe 12” deep pantry cabinets would work on the blank wall. Then, I’d switch fridge and oven because the oven cabinet is less wide.

Cheryl Vaughan thanked emilyam819
  • Cheryl Vaughan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@emilyam819 I like the idea of the 12" pantry cabinet on the blank wall...I messed up the drawing of the fridge...its a normal width and not extra wide ...I can't use a range because I will use an induction cooktop (no gas in the apt) but a regular electric oven....I'm in Mexico so I'm limited as to what I can get and especially within budget..thanks for the suggestion of the pantry...it would give me a longer working counter then.

• girl_wonder
    2 years ago

Before my remodel, i had a 12” deep cab. (about 6’ long). It held a ton and nothing got lost in back. the previous owners designed it so there was an upper section with regular swinging cabinet doors. then a approx 12” gap, with the same wood on back, so effectively a counter (i stored cookbooks on half). Then the lowers had sliding doors. But you can design it how you like. maybe like a china cabinet with glass doors on top (or just the middle ones if you need more storage than display).

btw you can get a range with an electric oven and induction cooktop. my friend bought a GE that way. she wants to install solar panels some day.

Cheryl Vaughan thanked girl_wonder
  • mainenell
    2 years ago

They do make induction ranges. Not sure about available in Mexico, though.

Cheryl Vaughan thanked mainenell
Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor