Software
Houzz Logo Print
lizette_deren

recommendations on how to update outside of traditional brick home

5 years ago

Would like suggestions on how to update/ upgrade traditional red brick home? Thanks in advance

Comments (18)

  • 5 years ago

    The shutters should be wider…as they would be if they were operational….these are skinny.
    Show us the front garden areas.

  • 5 years ago

    more pics

  • 5 years ago

    You could paint the brick but if it were my house I would not do it. I think the upkeep would be a lot. I think the house is beautiful as is.

  • 5 years ago

    You may consider painting the shutters and garage door.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Limewash will make the biggest difference in your home. It's not paint. It will not peel off.




    You can apply as much or as tille depending on the appearance you home to achieve.



  • 5 years ago

    Not a fan of the shutters, but they should be considerably wider if you like them. I'd go with a black garage door. Improved landscaping would make the most impact. I like the red brick and wouldn't change it.

  • 5 years ago

    Remove the shutters on the window by the front door, it looks cluttered. Wider shutters on the other windows. Paint the downspouts to match the brick, or spring for copper downspouts. Wood look carriage house style doors for the garage.

  • 5 years ago

    Brick is classic not dated, since Williamsburg, Va., always in style and maintenance free. Very costly to this beautiful house. Do not paint, stain, lime wash etc. As others have said wider shutters and new garage door with windows..Try a pop of color on front door. Recessed so hard to see Then spend your dollars on a landscape designer for whole yard. New landscaping will bring the improvements looking for.

  • 5 years ago

    Agree NOT to limewash your brick house. Just getting wider shutters and painting them a bright navy will make a huge difference. Changing the garage door to another style and painting that the same navy will also have a big impact. Then paint the front door a happy color, or the navy.
    There are a lot of brick homes where I live and I recently saw one with navy shutters. It struck me as classy and slightly non-traditional. Your black shutters are the safe, easier choice so perhaps it seems TOO traditional to you.
    I love the lines of your house. It is stately.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    It’s hard to say without more info — budget, do you want subtle changes or drastic ones, what do you like/not like about it now, what styles you like, are you planning any changes that will factor in any advice (such as new roof, windows, etc). So just going by what we know:

    I would remove all shutters and paint trim, then work on landscaping.

    There are some beautiful color schemes here:

    https://westmagnoliacharm.com/10-exterior-paint-colors-for-brick-homes/painting/

    Of course you’d need to test how any potential color will work with your exact brick color and white window grids.

    I would not whitewash or paint this brick unless you can hire someone who is very experienced with the application. People love to bang that cup here every time a brick house is posted, posting all these big, nice whitwashed homes, as if it’s as simple as painting walls. It’s not. I know of more than one house in my town that the homeowners got all excited looking online …. and then DIY’ed limewashing their homes into expensive messes to fix. It can look beautiful or it can look like a cheap nightmare with brick disease.

    Anyway, your brick is already beautiful, I’d embrace and work with it!

  • 5 years ago

    Some blue shutters to inspire you.

  • 5 years ago

    More, with a touch of green as another option

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you so much for the feedback and ideas - I will definitely be using them! I appreciate it!

  • 5 years ago

    I would remove all the shutters since they are really only appropriate on the garage and upstairs bonus room windows. There is plenty of architectural interest here without faux stick on shutters.I would change the garage doors to some that are colonial in style. Your pix are poor quality so can't really see the front door. What kind of light fixture is there?


    Georgian Colonial Styled Garage Door · More Info

  • 5 years ago

    Here are some better pics of brick and front door

  • 5 years ago

    Limewash your home. I'm not sure why folks in Jinx's town haven't been able to figure out the process, but it's a pretty straightforward DIY. If you're concerned about doing it yourself, you can always hire a professional. Do NOT paint your brick though until you have a full understanding of how painting brick may damage the brick overtime.

  • 5 years ago

    Show us how yours turned out, Bree! It’s always helpful for people to see success stories. Did you do your house?

  • 5 years ago

    I really like your house. Red brick is a classic that has stood the test of time and is lovely! Before you even consider painting or lime washing, I would propose to start by removing the shutters and upgrading the garage door to a really good carriage style door. The existing door profile is flat and not substantial enough for a brick house with quoins. The way the house is designed, your eye is drawn to the garage no matter what color the house is.