Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_leigh69

Kitchen UPPER cabinet pulls horizontally?

Kathy Leigh
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi, there. Just got new cabinets installed. Lots more to finish up, but thinking about positioning my upper pulls horizontally, rather than vertically. Polished chrome square pulls. Open concept kitchen/living room. Living room has a clean contemporary aesthetic. Everyone I discuss this with, including my husband, poo-poos the idea of horizontal pulls. 'Thinking' that they just aren't familiar with the look. I'd love someguidance from this group because I REALLY don't know what to do. I am only talking about the UPPER cabinets.

Many thanks!

Comments (16)

• kayozzy
    2 years ago

You just need to find some inspiration pics to see if you'd like it. here is one.

Dutch Kitchens · More Info

Kathy Leigh thanked kayozzy
  • Kathy Leigh
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, thank you, kayozzy. That's a lovely one. I have a decent number of inspiration pix & really like the idea. Nobody else I talk to does though :)

• kayozzy
    2 years ago

I'd show them the pictures as well. But most importantly, if your husband isn't set against it, do what YOU want. It is your home and you'll never please everyone anyway, so why try!?

Kathy Leigh thanked kayozzy
  • eld6161
    2 years ago

Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words. My immediate reaction was no until I saw the inspiration.

Kathy Leigh thanked eld6161
  • vpierce
    2 years ago

I'd test which way is easier to grab and pull. To me, vertical is easier.

Kathy Leigh thanked vpierce
  • whistle_b
    2 years ago

As someone with severe arthritis, horizontal would be very uncomfortable. YMMV

Kathy Leigh thanked whistle_b
  • Suki Mom
    2 years ago

The horizontal pulls on the upper cabinets kind of reminds me of the 60's-70's cabinets that had pulls centered on the upper cabinet doors. Was inconvenient and not as useful as typical placement.

Kathy Leigh thanked Suki Mom
  • arcy_gw
    2 years ago

This is like sharing baby names. If you tell people before baby is named you get all sorts of critiques!! If you wait and present baby "here's Matilda" no one says BOO!! You like it, DO IT...all the nay sayers will keep their negativity to themselves!!

Kathy Leigh thanked arcy_gw
  • ker9
    2 years ago

I did mine horizontal and am very happy with them. It’s no problem with opening the doors, like anything else you use, you get used to it being that way. Just need to be sure of clearance under counter. I like the symmetry.

Kathy Leigh thanked ker9
  • julieste
    2 years ago

I like the look but worry about the ergonomics. Think about where the door pivots on its hinges, and then imagine which placement will give you the maximum ease in pulling that door open.

Kathy Leigh thanked julieste
  • just_janni
    2 years ago

Doors aren't heavy. it's a shorter arc to open the door.

I've had pulls centered horizontally for 23-ish years - it's totally fine.

I agree having doors and drawers above one another, I too, like the symmetry.

Kathy Leigh thanked just_janni
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I use painters tape to figurre out all the pulls in a kitchen you need to be careful because sometimes all in one direction creates issues I also use proportional pulls to size of cabinets this is a good example

Kathy Leigh thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words. My immediate reaction was no until I saw the inspiration.

I thought the same. I still prefer the traditional vertical placement -- for me, I think it's about the long handle matching; that is, matching the door in that it goes in the longer direction. But the horizontal placement is acceptable, even if not expected.

I think after a week or two, using the slightly-different handles would feel automatic.

The ones pictured should not have issues except in corners. It’s when you do the ones that are almost the length of the doors that bigger issues arise. Do watch the opening arcs before sizing them or drilling for them. With longer pulls closer to edges, you can get some banging into one another and need hinge restricters.

This is essential. You don't want to end up with corners that don't open all the way /bump into the next cabinet.

Kathy Leigh thanked Mrs Pete
  • User
    2 years ago

The builder was going to install the pulls for the uppers in the vertical position but my wife wanted them horizonally. I think she made the right decison and we have had no issues with them interferring with their operation.

Kathy Leigh thanked User