Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxpiper

Help me choose new siding!

Roxanne
2 years ago

We are going to replace the aluminum siding on our home with Hardiplank, and I need help choosing ASAP!

On Monday, a large truck snagged our powerline, ripping it and the meter off of the house and damaging the ancient, ugly aluminium siding. The silver lining for us is that the insurance company will need to replace all the siding because the aluminium stuff is no longer available. They will pay to replace it with vinyl siding, and we're thinking about upgrading to Hardiplank since we have the opportunity to save a ton of money doing so

in the next couple of years, we will extend the back of the house, hopefully adopting a bit of a MCM or contemporary vibe. That may or may not matter right now, but thought I'd throw it out there

There are options for smooth and Cedarmill (woodgrain), both of which can come with or without a bead (see photos)—and can be horizontal or vertical. I'm sorta liking the vertical, but wanted to see what y'all think

So what would you choose? Horizontal or vertical? Beaded or unbeaded?

In a previous thread, members suggested using buff or olive rather than white, which sounds good to me. If you have other color suggestions, please let me know as well

Front of house - larger than it looks since we're on a hill

Front porch - couldn't capture in the photo above due to shadow. Excuse the clutter. . .it's been a nightmare week due to the four-day power outage

Stone on front of house - it's real stone (like 4" thick), not a facade

Left side of house - any suggestions on how to cover the white hose? We'll be removing the A/C unit

Right side of house, where the power line and meter box were ripped out of the house on Monday

Back of house - my son is a professional woodworker, and his overflow is currently on the patio 🙄

HARDIPLANK OPTIONS:

Comments (9)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Always smooth unless it is a mountain house. Vertical would look nice in the gables but you already have stone AND painted brick so I think stick to all being horizontal.

Roxanne thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Roxanne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I didn't the rule about "smooth unless it's a mountain house", so I'm glad you told me. Would you do with the smooth plank with a bead, or without?

The company whose truck took out our powerline just happens to be a large building supply company in the area, and it sounds like they will be paying for the upgrade in an effort to "make things right". They have 8.25" in stock for any of the options (smooth, woodgrain, beaded, unbeaded)—does that size sound right to you?

With respect to the brick, we could certainly either repaint it or remove the paint and do more of a "wash" on it—if that's even an option. You had suggested buff or olive in my previous post, so I'm curious to know whether you would paint the siding and brick the same color or not

Appreciate all your help!

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

I'm all about low maintenance, so Hardie sounds great. My concern would be that the bead and cedarmill details would be dirt catchers, therefore, not as low maintenance as the smooth with no bead, which also look to be more in line with the original siding. Noticed you have a lot of white brick. Is painting it to match the stone an option when you do the addition? Not sure Romabio can help since it looks to be painted already, but you might visit with them about it. They do custom colors and could probably match the stone pretty well. I'd also match the siding to a warm color in the stone work that melds with the roof. Lastly, brighten the door with a fresh color and get the landscaping under control; it looks to be overtaking the house. No suggestion on the AC hose though.

Residential Stone Exteriors · More Info

• elunia
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

+1 smooth, no bead. there are line covers you can purchase that will give a neater appearance if you can’t bury the lines in the walls.

• Roxanne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Painting the stone could be an option, but so far I haven’t seen any painted stone that looks nice. I would almost rather remove the entire front and do some thing else, though I cannot imagine the labor involved in getting all of that down 😱

• latifolia
    2 years ago

We got the unbeaded Cedarmill on the back of our garage last year. There are six attached garages, so we matched the others. So far it hasn't gotten dirty or needed extra maintenance. What kind of siding is prevalent in your area?

• Roxanne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It’s not a double post - the first one was about color only. This one is mainly about the TYPE of siding, with the comment as a side point. I also linked to my original post 🙂

• Roxanne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@latifolia - the siding in my area (metro DC) is all over the place. Most of the older homes are from the 50s-70s, and those with siding are either aluminium, vinyl or Hardiplank. There is probably some wood siding, but I don't think I see it very often

Many older homes have been torn down and replaced by large-footprint craftsmen or modern homes, so it really is all over the place