Software
Houzz Logo Print
lee6336

Dining Room Update

5 years ago

I'm looking for ways to update this traditional dining room. The French table, chairs and antique chest with mirror will remain. The blinds and drapes will stay. I've thought about replacing the end chairs with winged Parsons chairs in an updated print. Host chair fabric suggestions greatly needed. I've considered painting and lightly distressing the caned side chairs an off white with blue-gray under paint. Not sure at all about the china cabinet? What would I replace it with? The dining room is immediately to the right of my front doors. A pass through takes you to the kitchen-great room open floor plan on one side. The main entrance also flows into the great room from the other side. I'm making progress in the main room, but need some help in the DR. Thanks!






Comments (13)

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Just paint the walls...any French blue you like...I prefer a darker one for the back drop. Everything in the room, mirror, chandelier, furniture will stand out.




  • 5 years ago

    A different wall color is probably a good idea with the brown furniture. Back wall needs a transformation too. Thanks!

  • 5 years ago

    Paint is a fabulous idea. I was also thinking some millwork like a chair rail or doing one wall (back wall) in wall paper (to complement the new paint color). A new light fixture will also update the room. The china cabinet is gorgeous!

    lee6336 thanked trendtown
  • 5 years ago

    We have definitely considered some millwork and wallpaper. Thanks for the kind works about the china cabinet. I'm wondering if a sideboard of some type with very large prints above it would be a more interesting update.

  • 5 years ago

    While I LOVE those deep blues suggested for the wall, I notice that the flooring is light and plenty of white woodwork is combined with them. Your floor appears dark as does the furniture, so I think you would need to add a good chunk of white or light to the mix if you are considering deep blue for the walls

  • 5 years ago

    Salvona, I agree that dark blue is a great color, but will darken my room. Not necessarily what I'm going for. The floor is a medium Jacobean oak with Alabaster trim. Thanks for the help.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I would keep the china cabinet, all the more so if it's used. It's lovely! Everything in this room is lovely. My "update" ideas would be simple: find a gorgeous wallpaper for the back of the display shelves (this can be installed in non-permanent ways) and a coordinating fabric for the chairs seats. The large art is gorgeous but I'd try something different on that wall a bit. Perhaps you can switch it with a piece from another room? Sometimes, a change in decor is all our eye needs for an update. But that's my take on your dining room. :)

    ETA: Fabric can also be used for the back of the cabinet. It doesn't need to be wallpaper. :) I think I mentioned wallpaper because I'd just read a wallpaper thread.

  • 5 years ago

    Here are some of my favorite wallpapers

  • 5 years ago

    Please don’t paint that beautiful furniture! Is there room to move the China cabinet to the wall with only the picture? You could then put your antique cabinet on the wall where the China was. I agree that adding blue toile paper to the back of the cabinet would be lovely. Change the chair seats to a complementing solid blue. No need to paint or do anything else.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Pat Reddrick, Unfortunately, I don't have room for the china cabinet at he end of the room. I may put some light, neutral paper in the back of the china cabinet. I do want to change the chair seats as soon as I come of with a plan for the entire room. At this time I'm strongly considering host chairs to replace the end chairs and provide pattern and color. Then I can coordinate the chair seats.

    Thanks HU-187528210 for the wallpaper tips. I am team wallpaper. I am currently looking for one for my powder bathroom as well.




  • 5 years ago

    Your inspo pic is lovely! I'd think twice about painting the furniture as well. The wood is lovely. You can do so much with fabric and decor elements. I love Anthropologie's wallpaper selection. And of course, companies like Thibaut and Schumacher make matching fabric and paper should that tickle your fancy. There is some gawwwwjus stuff out there! Good luck deciding. :)

    lee6336 thanked tartanmeup
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County