Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missb_remodeling

Viking 36" gas range?

missb_remodeling
2 years ago

Dh and I shopped for appliances this morning, including a 36" dual fuel range. In our previous home, we had a five star 36" dual fuel range. Our current kitchen will get ripped out. We're doing red oak floors to match the adjoining rooms, white shaker inset cabinets, some sort of dark countertop (soapstone maybe).

We looked at Miele, Viking, Wolf and Fisher Paykel.

Note that I'm looking at gas ranges. We won't be installing an induction range, so please don't try to convince me to switch. We have many reasons why we're not going with induction technology.

Five star ranges are pretty basic - there are few electronic gizmos to go bad. But there isn't a local distributor of those, and I don't see many folks buying them nowadays. The one we bought 25 years ago is still kicking at the old house. I'm just worried that if something did go wrong, we'd not find a repair person around to deal with it. It does run about $5k less than the one we chose this morning.

I kinda liked the Miele, but it presented as too modern for me. I didn't love the grates, and the tilt out display just screamed "you'll be replacing this when it stops tilting out". They had a more basic version without the fancy display, but it still seemed a bit too modern. (side note: we are buying their stackable washer/dryer for our master bedroo closet so I'm not totally opposed to the brand).

The Wolf was okay, but I didn't love the blue interior of the oven. I've never really liked Wolf units, though visually they're pretty close to what I like.

The Fisher Paykel was okay, but I didn't love the grate height. They just seemed so high.

So I think we settled on a Viking, but I'm curious if anyone has any recent experience with them. I see a lot of older threads with some issues, but I'm not seeing newer ones. Does anyone have a 36" dual fuel range by Viking and actually love it?

Comments (6)