Software
Houzz Logo Print
melanieguerrette

WWYD?

13 years ago
I got this dresser for free yesterday and wanted to refinish it. The top two drawers have a "bow" shape that is raised from the rest of the dresser. Question is, should I paint those "bows" a different color than the rest of the dresser? Or paint it all the same? Keep the hardware? What colors would you suggest? I am planning on selling it once it is complete, so any color suggestions would be helpful! Looking forward to comments.... Thanks!

Comments (207)

  • 13 years ago
    My post just got stuck swirling again. It won't go through...let's see..
  • 13 years ago
    bsellers... YES! I am about to start waxing...
  • 13 years ago
    So you figured out it's time, huh? Didnt you do about three or four different pieces at a time oops, sorry, you probably have your hands full right now ! ;-)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    HI -- Melanie and fellow Calgarian -- to get back on topic of the chest of drawers , have you decided what your going to do - keep it - or sell it and how or where - and how much if your selling it ! ?
  • 13 years ago
    Ok, this is putting the pressure on...that's pretty straightforward!
  • 13 years ago
    Dare I decoupage drawer lining? They are not all the same, but I have cut to fit the most charming French inspired scrapbook papers... hmmmmm.....
  • 13 years ago
    Hi lefty, I put it on kijiji on Tuesday for $100, and a girl emailed me last night wanting to pick it up tonight! She Didn't even dicker over the price, yet :) I'm so excited that someone actually wants it!!!!!
  • 13 years ago
    Cindy, decoupage!!!! It looks amazing.
  • 13 years ago
    Sad your dresser is going :( but glad for you to get the $$ for your work :) Taking a break from paste waxing and paper cutting lol!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Just an idea :)
    have you ever considered using Mod Podge on any of your pieces? I think that it would sell like hot cakes :)
    old newspaper clippings for one .

    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MTPzpufwx4k/UZOnOEKvHzI/AAAAAAAAIRc/Nxl7CjIi-2w/s1600/before-after640.png
  • 13 years ago
    Genevieve, I've never heard of that... But will be googling it momentarily!
  • 13 years ago
    You may like what you see :) I have used pages from a Victorian catalogue for it .
  • 13 years ago
    Three drawers left to decoupage (mod podge)...but only the liner :)
  • 13 years ago
    Woop woop!! Good job Cindy! Can't wait to see it. I looked up mod podge, it's really neat! Have you ever tried it with fabric?
  • 13 years ago
    I did on a chair and it looks great, I covered an old patio chair with it .
  • 13 years ago
    I haven't seen Cindy's gold leaf even! Did you post it? Did you ever find your camera stick??? Did you lose a bunch of great pictures?
  • 13 years ago
    No, did not loose any, I was just using it the other day and all are in my computer. When I go out, will get a new memory card (unless I clean up first and find it lol!) Right now, sitting with a glass of wine with a back ache, drawers all waxed and decoupaged... tomorrow the dresser and chest. I have done it with fabric, but don't remember for what lol! Have a good night!
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, oh yeah..uhhh, I think you said "dare I ?..I've already got the most charming French inspired ..BACKACHE?" You started this day running out to replace your camera stick then waxing and the next thing I know, you're doing both at the same time!!! My head was spinning. You've been a whirling derbish! Obviously, you were not quite satisfied with them and you followed your artistic instincts. You'll be glad you did later on. I f you're like me, if I don't do it when it's ripe chances are I won't get back to it with the same juices flowing, if at all. My energies deflate if I let up. I hate to "readdress" an issue . I want to move on to the next thing. Besides, your buddies kept cheering you on! Go Cindy Go!!! SHOOT, G'AHEAD! Have MORE than one glass of wine and relax your muscles. As a matter of fact, have one for me !:-D You're probably stepping back and just at a glance, it feels completed
    to your own satisfaction. Kind of like, "oh yeah, I feel better about it now."
  • 13 years ago
    Yikes! I could tell that I was going to lose all my gabbing. It was starting to get pretty quirky
  • 13 years ago
    Sorry! Apologies! Couldn't even proof read the post.
    I really am anxious to see your heart's work.

    Wonder if Mel sold her chest tonight? Whether she gave it a clear coat and sending it off with a baby jar of touch up paint.

    BTW, for the record, I don't think I've ever really painted a piece of furniture like y'all do. I'm not one of the gang that really understands the terms you use, or how it's done. I'm just enjoying the beauty, the talent and the company.

    I did scrape, sand, replastered and did glazes and faux painting "back in the day" of my whole interior. I worked on it for 1 1/2 years. Several years later I hardly had any more elbow pain!

    Rest well. Goodnight all.
  • 13 years ago
    Sold!!! My first baby is gone! I did send her with some paint, and I have to say, it was hard to see it go. I started second guessing myself "is it good enough?" "Did I charge too much?"... "I could have done a better job". Maybe that will go away with the more I do and the better I get?
  • 13 years ago
    Cindy? I'm dying to see what you've done! Get on the pic posting girl!
  • 13 years ago
    LOL... I want to do the picture, but don't want to take the time to go out for the card...I just want these two pieces finished... then I woke up in the night thinking, "oh my, son in college means we will have to get the dresser upstairs!" Not too heavy with the drawers out lol. Melanie, you should charge more if you do it again. Here is one I found not nearly as nice as yours~ http://www.etsy.com/listing/155357940/sample-red-mid-century-dresser?ref=sr_gallery_15&ga_search_query=mid+century+dresser&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all.
    The wax gave it a beautiful finish! The gloss black paint got shinier and the non shiny flat (that I made into chalk paint) came out with a nice satin finish. Well I am outahere while some of you in a different time zone are hopefully sleeping! bsellers, I did not start the day running out to get a new card lol... I barely stepped outside but to add another coat of spray paint to the drawer inside the cabinet. I did however look at french inspired stencils online thinking I can add to the front of the cabinet doors... LATER lol! Have a great day everyone!
  • 13 years ago
    Wow, where is everyone today? Or is this site acting up again... no comments in 6 hours and none all day but mine? Chest done and LOVELY!! I think I want to keep it in the LR...would have to figure out furniture arrangement. Think hubby will be coming back with memory card for camera... so maybe pictures later... if anyone is there lol!
  • 13 years ago
    Yes! As a matter of fact that is what you'd said first thing in the morning and I'm laughing ti myself at the time, thinking you and Mel sure don't let any moss grow under your feet!!! So now I find out, more like me, YIU NEVER MADE IT OUT IF THE HOUSE!!! How funny..thank you for the chuckle...oh my...oh
  • 13 years ago
    Cindy! We are on STRIKE til we get some pictures!!!
  • 13 years ago
    Its like pulling teeth to make me shop!! So believe me, I understand!
    Did you mean you are pleased with wax affect on THIS project? I was wondering how a clear coat would change the contrast of the matte and the gloss on Melanie's first baby.
    Yes, I think that girl was more than happy to pay $100 for it. Sure went fast and buyer came right away. Melanie was having the "BEST WEEKEND EVER" just this past weekend(?!) Come to find out it was her first AND Melanie got it for free. Other than maybe keep for self, sounds like BIG WIN ALL AROUND! Prices JUST went up though!
  • 13 years ago
    Oh you ladies make me laugh!! I've been at my "real" job and haven't had time to check in yet today... Plus checking kijiji for free stuff (shhh... don't tell the boss$ And yes, prices just did go up! Cindy, I am boycotting you until I see some pics!
  • 13 years ago
    Melanie, that chest just launched your new business! Yea! You and your girlfriend will be able to get that junk shop afterall!
  • 13 years ago
    Omg!!! Melanie! I didn't know about these chairs! Wow!!! Theyre nice. I'm joing in really late. I'll have to catch up.

    But I DO really like these chair frames
  • 13 years ago
    Hahaha.... Junk Shop here I come! Thanks for the compliment on the chairs, which fabric do you like (keeping in mind your distaste for retro) :)
  • 13 years ago
    You are doing them for someone else? I like Linda's third one in the group, bottom left.
  • 13 years ago
    I couldn't see Lydia's full page of ideas. I think there were 4 total, two that were light colors, one that was "peacock" colors and one more that was more brown and gold tones..
  • 13 years ago
    I'm doing them for anybody that might want to buy them!
  • 13 years ago
    Oops, posted where I found you on the actual chair talkbox discussion. Now that I read they are short, ..consider this: 2 fabrics that blend but are different maybe..my screen looks like you could do one in the top first color and the other in the second color. Do they compliment?

    I bet you want to do that orange print! Don't you?
  • 13 years ago
    You're like a little bird on my shoulder! Of course I love the orange!!!
  • 13 years ago
    I think their size is really important. DO consider who would buy small chairs and gear towards that. That would be the crucial for appropriate use and resale.
  • 13 years ago
    Don't blink folks! She'll have them covered in that orange print snd online fof sale TONIGHT!!! LOL!
  • 13 years ago
    Please stay out of back alleys!!!
  • 13 years ago
    Just in case my pictures don't steal my comments... lol! My dear sweet hubby came home with a memory card for my camera
  • 13 years ago
    DID IT AGAIN>>> ARRRGGGGHHH
  • 13 years ago
    WHAT CHAIRS????
  • 13 years ago
    not letting me put my comment down!
  • 13 years ago
    Still from my photo comment "The dresser top still tacky, I have to outline it in gold. FYI...if you want Gold buy a gold leaf marker not a bottle of Antique Gold Paint...too watery and difficult to cover! The marker more gold in color and EASY to use...glad I bought one in silver for my next project! " .... keeps blocking me saying reload and I do but not letting me post again!
  • 13 years ago
    oh gosh... made a heart using less than symbol and 3 and it would not post... took it out and there is my whole comment... what is that a symbol for something not politically correct?
  • 13 years ago
    Cindy, I'm afraid I would not have a clue! I'm sure it's been thrown in my direction but also way over my head. Let me know if you find out what it is so that I can recognize it as such! Thanks!
  • 13 years ago
    Love love love your dressers Cindy!!!!! They look shimmery. You did an amazing job! You're a real inspiration.
  • 13 years ago
    I made a heart too and it disappeared. ❤
  • 13 years ago
    There you are! Hello, Melanie, what's up?
  • 13 years ago
    Yea, the first time it wasn't posting my whole comments they had heart symbol... posted up to it and the rest was gone!
0