Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_265821884

Is this normal for installing gutters ?

4 years ago

This gutter project was done when I was recovering fron 3 back surgeries, so I wasn't present for the install. Has anyone else seen gutters installed like this. The roof was very expensive and is 9 years old. The screws used are 2 inch composite. At the very least I think it looks tacky. Thanks in advance for any opinions.


Dave



Comments (19)

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    What is the height and material of the facia board? What is the climate?

    DAVID ANDERSON thanked res2architect
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Never seen that kind of installation and I would not be happy to have all those screw holes into my roof which would then start leaking with any movement of the screws, which will happen over time. I would have expected them to use gutter hangers attached to the facia board. Is there any reason they wouldn't have been able to install that on your facia board?

    DAVID ANDERSON thanked lyfia
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Sure nothing I've seen or would allow. But, then, my first Google search, this pops up :



    DAVID ANDERSON thanked worthy
  • 4 years ago

    I looked around also and could not find anything. Problem also is the screws penetrated through the roof. Thanks for the reply

  • 4 years ago

    Having trouble replying to individual messages. Thank you all for the posts. facia is just normal aluminum over wood. nothing special. I don't know how you would fix this. Some of the screw holes have leaked because I replaced a piec of soffit and receive a small shower.

  • 4 years ago

    Cental wisconsin, and yes ice can build up

  • 4 years ago

    Central

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    A common installation in our similar climate:


    Even better:



    But if the method of installation was not specified, you might have a hard time proving the installer was not fulfilling his contract obligations.

    DAVID ANDERSON thanked worthy
  • 4 years ago

    Yes, I have seen this method used in my area for older roofs where shingles can't be lifted. Obviously too ugly to be a preferred method but there is some circumstances where it was described as the best alternative. I think I have seen it on older houses where crown molding interfered with fastening gutter to fascia.

    DAVID ANDERSON thanked Lyndee Lee
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    In a cold climate the outer edge of the gutter should be below the extended plane of the roof so snow and ice can slide off the roof without damaging the gutter.

    If the facia is not vertical or tall enough, the alternative is to hang the gutter with straps, however, the straps are usually placed under the shingles as shown in Worthy's photo.

    So, how tall and vertical is the facia?

  • DAVID ANDERSON thanked res2architect
  • 4 years ago

    Thank you to all who responded. My intent is not to go after the installer. I am worried because of potential leaks and how it looks. The roof is on a older home, but the deck and shingles are about 9 years old. The fascia is 8 inches. Thanks again. I imagine they could have been hidden at install.

  • PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    You may experience water penetrating through the shingles where the screws are at some point in time.

    The installation of the shingles immediately under the window sill looks . . . creative, and not in a good way.

    DAVID ANDERSON thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • 4 years ago

    The screws and straps expand/contract resulting in leaks no amount of caulk and roofing tar can prevent.

    DAVID ANDERSON thanked klem1
  • 4 years ago

    If the facia is tall enough and adequately secured to the rafter tails, you can remove the straps and install conventilnal support brackets and slide metal flashing under the nail holes in the shingles. Its difficult to be sure from the photos but it looks like the bottom of the gutters are below the facia board.

    DAVID ANDERSON thanked res2architect
  • 4 years ago

    You have not given enough information or adequate pictures.

    Roof straps are used when the fascia is angled, or not tall enough, or missing (open rafter tails). Typically, a gutter company will install them on top of the shingles, as they are either retrofitting an existing house or in new construction the roof is installed first. They are not roofers and don't really care, so will not install them under the shingles, at most they will just dab some silicone on top of the screws. If you have one, they will rely on an Ice&Water Shield to seal around the screw shaft.




    Also from that pic your expensive re-roof looks to have some issues.

    DAVID ANDERSON thanked 3onthetree
  • 4 years ago

    The fascia is 6 inch aluminum over wood. The screws seem to be driven in without any silicone. The roof is another story and is mostly my fault. The "friend of a friend" who is a real good roofer did the job. There are other areas that are questionable. I think I am going to have a roofer who has been in business for 20 year with great references come and repair all the flaws. I appreciate everyone who responded and took the time to give suggestions. Thank you!!

  • 4 years ago

    Fascia is not angled.