Software
Houzz Logo Print
pyh123

1970s ranch needs an update

4 years ago

Help! We just acquired this “new” 1970s ranch house. We won’t be moving in for several months, due to interior renovations. Its the exterior that has me paralyzed. I’m considering adding a covered porch, centering the front door and making it a double door, then painting the brick a creamy white with dark trim. But I’m terrified my choices will detract rather than update. Suggestions please and thank you!

Comments (27)

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    IMO painting brick is the fastest way to devalue your home . The brick is the best part of this house and the house should not have a porch at all.IMO finish what you are doing inside then tackle the outside since often interior work affects windows and where they are and size and style .Landscaping will have ahuge impact on curb appeal You have agreat house do not ruin it by trying to make it something it will never be.

  • 4 years ago

    Patricia Colwell Consulting. The interior renovation will largely involve reconfiguring space to create a master suite from two bedrooms and upgrading kitchens and baths. I don’t know yet if windows need to be replaced but I’m hoping not. Thank for your comment on the brick. I’ll definitely consider that. What colors do you think would work with the brick? For the door and garage, I was thinking a mid-tone wood?

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I would go with contrasting color for trim, garage, door such as taupe, bronze, charcoal gray, black.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    This is my fave for inspiration for landscaping and could you post a pic of the brick closer up too please note the front door style too.


  • 4 years ago

    I take a closer pic. But the house is 30 minutes away. So I may not be able to do so today.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I love painted brick but it is becoming pretty commonplace. Yours is quite a handsome house and the brick is a lot more tolerable than much that I've seen. Maybe what is bothering me most is the roofing and brick being so close in color and texture. It is tending to make the whole house monolithic. The trim being dark cream or yellow (bit hard to tell from the photos) also contributes to the monolithic feel. If you leave the brick unpainted I would definitely suggest painting trim white. The roof looks to be in good shape. Otherwise, I would suggest replacing the roof with a different color material. Would love to see a standing seam metal roof that provides a lot of contrast to the brick. Landscaping would do a lot to enhance your home too.

    pam h thanked Norwood Architects
  • 4 years ago

    Great house! I’d love to see some talented person post a rendering with the trim painted a contrasting color. It would also be interesting to see a floor plan with the modifications you‘ve made, unless you have very thin skin.

  • 4 years ago

    I will take a closer pic of the brick. But the house is 30 minutes away so it may not be today. I’m not thin skinned. Lol. But the floor plan is a work in progress. I literally wanted to “raise the roof,” but alas that’s not happening. I need a 4th bedroom though. So an addition is being drafted. Here’s the current rough. Done by me not my builder so the room dimensions are accurate but its obviously not a professional rendering.

  • 4 years ago

    "Maybe what is bothering me most is the roofing and brick being so close in color and texture."

    I was thinking the same thing, especially with the long. low roof line. Seems painting the trim a soft white could help.

  • 4 years ago

    I would go with a soft, sagely green for the trim. Is that a slider next to the front door? It’s an odd look, and I think you do need to do something with the door/window combo right in front. Maybe double doors with sidelights? It’s really a fabulous house!,

    pam h thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    chloebud. Norwood Architects.

    Agreed. But apparently there are several roofing units tied together and the engineer says it is the most "interesting" residential roof she's seen. Its the low pitch of the roof that is limiting my options. Taking the roof off and re-framing would eat up my entire renovation budget so I'm going to have to fashion another solution. I could do an obvious-looking addition above the garage that will not be in keeping with the character of the home, but I've ruled that out. There is a septic tank that, if I move it, would likely need to be replaced, beside bedroom 1. Its an option. An expensive option, so I'd prefer not to. I actually really like this house. But I had no idea what I was getting into. To be clear, I am far more interested in the house living well and being attractive than protecting architectural integrity. I know that's on-trend but its true for me. My only concern with painting the brick is that it can't really be undone and I'm afraid I'll come home in a couple of years and go "What have I done?!"


  • 4 years ago

    I like the brick but the trim color is bad. The roof blends with brick gives it a bla look. I think u find the right trim color and new landscaping the house will look great. Im not in the “ dont paint brick”. There is brick that’s odd color or to many colors that is ugly. Yours looks uniform neutral and best low maintenance.

  • 4 years ago

    Beautiful house! I think its main problem (besides the landscaping) is the roof color being so close to the house color. You need more contrast there -- maybe a dark charcoal standing seam roof? Also, the downspouts are very distracting to me; perhaps remove them and use rain chains instead. Whoever you get to do the landscaping can make sure they are hung properly with the appropriate drainage areas. If the four vertical windows next to the front door are fixed glass, I would consider removing the drapes and changing the four clear glass panes to simple frosted glass which would provide sufficient privacy but would be more in keeping with the mid-century vibe. I'm not sure what to do about the window trim color; a light color does not seem right to me but maybe charcoal would be better. Do a mock-up before deciding on that and the roof. The front door should be changed also -- again, something mid-century style.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago



    I found this interior shot but it is the same brick as the exterior and is up close. The trim color is pretty much the same color as the grout btw.

  • 4 years ago

    Change the trim and eaves to the darkest shade in the brick, or even a bit darker; maybe a chocolate mocha. Remove the fence. You can probably get someone who wants it to remove in exchange for it. Then spend on totally new landscaping, possibly including a new walk that is wider and isn't so close to the house/flower beds.

  • 4 years ago

    Last year, after getting a new roof, we painted our shutter SW URBAN BRONZE. We love it. I suggest it for your color accents. Also, I agree about hiring a landscape designer for new landscape. Fall is the perfect time yo install it.

  • 4 years ago

    I would paint the trim a darker contrasting color and paint or stain the wooden fence in front. The gray weathered fence does not go with the rest of the house. I would either paint it to match the trim or stain it a light cedar or other brown/tan wood tone more in keeping with the house.

  • 4 years ago

    Yes to dark trim e.g. Urbane Bronze. No to painting brick.

    A very attractive house.

  • 4 years ago

    I think the brick looks quite attractive. The thing that bothers me is the yellowish undertone of the trim seems to be fighting with the taupey color of the bricks. (Assuming the colors in the photos are accurate.)

  • 3 years ago

    15 months later, bc life happened and I simply couldn’t focus on this project, we finally started. I decided against painting the brick, in favor of preserving as much of the home’s character as I can and still be happy with it. I decided to follow
    Patricia Colwell Consulting’s advice and address the exterior last, with whatever budget is left. At least for the moment. Norwood Architects, we paid to re-engineer the roof and extended the kitchen, which, as predicted, has eaten up much of the budget. Otherwise, I think I’d love that metal seamed roof you suggested. I posted an update bc all of the exterior framing and roofing is done and I am focused on the interior finishing details. I have changed my mind on the details so much that I’m sure the builder and his design partner have tired of me. But the interior designer and architect, who both seem knowledgeable, agree on little. Leaving me dazed and confused!

  • 3 years ago

    Ended up expanding out to enlarge the kitchen. I kept the same windows in order to preserve as much of the home’s original character as possible. Now I’m considering going with vertical hardie plank instead of a near match brick. Yay or nay? If yay, what color for the bump-out and the trim?

  • 3 years ago

    Hang in there, and please post updated pics!

  • 3 years ago

    I forgot the picture!

  • 3 years ago

    I really like the blue-grey siding, but am stumped about the best trim color(s) Any ideas!

  • 3 years ago

    I like the suggestion for a color like Urbane Bronze somebody had earlier. I think it would pair well with both your brick and the blue-grey siding. Looks great!

  • 3 years ago

    After hurricane Sally,we got a new roof so we had to change the paint color of the shutter. A houzzer suggested Urbane Bronze and we love it!