Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delaney_digrigoli

What do I do with this front porch area?

Delaney Di
2 years ago

Looking for ideas for this front entry area

Comments (11)

• Rachel Lee
    2 years ago

Swap the door for a more modern look, maybe one with some glass panes. Add a modern bench against the white side, a couple of round planters with greenery.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

IMO a walkway from the stree to the front door is a great way to welcome guests and un this case also a nice way to add some landscaping , I agree a new front door that suits the house and this is a good inspiration pic for some landscaping and a door style. As for the actusl are by the door a bench could workbut I think changing the side panel on the right to something more MCM would be great too.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

I'd put some all-weather furniture to our right of the door; I've become a big fan of recycled plastic benches and Adirondack chairs. Then paint the door a brighter colour, or maybe switch the door out for something with some "texture" like panes of glass or panels. Then add either a trellis or an all-weather decorative piece of wall art on the wall between the garage and the window - depending on your preferences. Personally, I'd go with a piece of metal art on the wall there, because I have a notoriously brown thumb.

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would remove the totally unnecessary and visual obtrusive porch railing and replace the wimpy pillars with more substantial ones - not "replace" exactly, can be just a simple matter of building a box around the existing pillars. Then bump out the garden so it extends a few more feet beyond the right side of the porch. I was looking for a jazzy plum purple door to go with your browns and cream - Im sure it exists somewhere but couldnt find -these should give you some idea though. This type of simple modern door with horizontal panes look good on a variety of post ww2 house types.

• chicagoans
    2 years ago

(not a pro) Cute house! Some suggestions:

1. Center the light over the front door. If it's cost prohibitive to move the electric box, get a light with a longer chain and swag it to a hook centered over the door.
    2. Updated door as per above
    3. I like the bench idea to the right of the door
    4. Tall landscaping, urns or trellis to the left of the front window
    5. Low landscaping (e.g. boxwood) below the front window and in the area at the right front of entry concrete.
    6. More landscaping around trees at right.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 years ago

Fins a fun outdoor rug and pull a color from there for the front door and planters. Either remove the railing or make it horizontal and more modern.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Move the walk way away from the house. Be sure it has a nice curve and let it lead from the sidewalk to the door not the drive way.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Change the light and replace the see-through cutout with a simple pair of posts to support the roof. Replace the door with a true MCM style and color one. Direct a wider walkway to the street.

Mid-Century Modern in White Rock · More Info

• suezbell
    2 years ago

A seat would be more welcoming than a "fence". Your railing is not really about keeping people from falling off a ledge but more about dividing the porch from the planting area so consider rethinking your railing and instead create built in seating between two supporting posts. Also, consider keeping the new seating and posts a natural wood look for the posts -- and, budget permitting, add a natural wood door as well.

https://foter.com/deck-benches

Also, since your windows don't have obvious painted frames, you might consider repainting your fascia a muted brown color close to your roof color ... perhaps even your soffit, too.

• mnmamax3
    2 years ago

A lot of MCM homes also have built in planters. Maybe a planter right across the open space (not in front of the door) and then a nice wooden bench in an L shape behind.

This is a way to add interest in the MCM theme without completely blocking in the space.

This is an example of how it could look with just a plain post.