Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_29405466

Who designed the pool for your new custom build?

2rickies
2 years ago

The architect, a landscape architect, or a pool company?

I assumed I'd be hiring a pool company, but the architect said he could design it. It's not going to be part of the terrace that's attached to the house, so I thought it would be fine, and maybe less expensive, to have someone else do it. (It will be down a gentle grassy slope behind the house.)

I'm planning a small pool house later, but if I'm not doing the building right away, only the pool, who is the best person to do it?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Depending on the architect's capabilities, it will have the greatest amount of success if the architect designs it. Have them design the pool house at this time also. Maybe only have then take the design as far as schematics, depending upon how far in the future it will be built.

I designed a pool house (on the right) for an existing house (on the left) that I did not design. I aimed for complimenting the existing architecture instead of trying to match it. The pool is inside.

2rickies thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • chispa
    2 years ago

Our builder connected us with a pool builder, but he was just that, a pool builder, and didn't seem to have any design ideas. We weren't impressed. Our builder then had us go to another pool builder and this one was much more creative. We sat with him for 4 hours, brainstormed and he designed it on his design program as we spoke. By the end of the meeting we had a design and exact pricing. Using a good pool designer/builder also means that he knows he can build what he is designing.

Our architect had drawn a pool into the plans, but the orientation and design wasn't the best fit once we actually started building.

2rickies thanked chispa
  • fissfiss
    2 years ago

When we lived in SoCal, our landscape architect designed it….

2rickies thanked fissfiss
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I think it depends on the architects ability to design a pool I would trust the pool company more than most architects sort of like I get a kitchen designer not an architect to design a kitchen I think before anything else is done you need to speak to a landscape architect and a pool designer to even see what is possible with a sloped yard .

2rickies thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Depo
    2 years ago

We had a landscape architect design our pool.

2rickies thanked Depo
  • David Cary
    2 years ago

Pool maker here. Context matters - small lot vs large lot.

Our home designer was involved and discussed location/layout etc with him. But permits etc went with pool maker.

2rickies thanked David Cary
  • 2rickies
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thank you all. It looks like the answer is, it depends. There are some natural rock formations that I'm hoping to incorporate into the design, if it's practical. I'm not sure if that points more to architect + pool designer, or maybe some combination of all three.

David Cary, it's a large lot, and there's a flat area that lends itself, a little way down the slope from the house.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

We had the pool builder design it with lots and lots of imput from me.

2rickies thanked cpartist
  • justcallmepool
    2 years ago

We had a pool company design and build our pool. We installed it a couple years after our build, but our house architect knew we wanted one and designed that side of the house with the pool in mind, similar to architectrunnerguy's comment. But the actual pool design was worked by a pool designer. And like cpartist, I went in knowing the look I wanted and the pool company we chose used my ideas and made them better and work best.

Our builder recommended a pool guy he's worked with many times but I didn't like him.

2rickies thanked justcallmepool
  • 2rickies
    Original Author
    2 years ago

wow, @cpartist, that's a beautiful pool!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County