Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trm655

Upgrade a portion of yard.

Tom M.
2 years ago

Hello. I am located in New Jersey and looking for ideas on what to do with a section of my yard. It used to be a play area with a swingset, sandbox and other playthings. Now my daughters are college age and I am looking to do something more grown up and entertaining/relaxing for the area. Probably would like more hardscaping than landscaping. Our style is traditional. The area is 120x58 (6960 sq. ft.) slopes up, and shady. We have a fence on one side. Leveling out the area and trimming back the trees for more sunlight is a consideration. Also, it is not difficult to run electric or gas, if needed. Probably do some DIY and some Pro Contracting.

Thank you for your help.

This picture is looking south down the hill and this is 120 ft length. Behind the evergreens is an in ground pool.

This picture is looking North up the hill and is the 120 foot in length.

This view is looking West and is 58ft. My house and deck is behind me.

This view is looking East toward my house and deck and is 58 ft.

Comments (13)

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I hadn't heard of bocce ball until I moved away from home. Have you heard of it?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

It is fun game but I would not design my outdoor area for it unless you play it all the time. As for your space I am finding it hard to get a feel for ow it relates to your home so maybe some pics of the house with deck to give me a better idea.

Tom M. thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    2 years ago

It looks like it is quite a distance from the house. So I'd start by getting some inexpensive, comfortable chairs and placing them somewhere. Then figure out if you ever use them. Most people won't, so making a big investment isn't really worth it.

Major hardscaping, leveling, paving, etc. near the trees is going to damage the trees. So keep that in mind.

Tom M. thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • Tom M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, the area is about 50 feet from my back deck. However, I am looking to make more use of my backyard. I am on an acre of land. Here is a picture of my backyard from the area I would like to renovate, facing the back of my house. The fence is behind me.

Here is a picture of the front of my house to give you an idea of our style.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    2 years ago

Here are some ideas:

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    2 years ago

Here are some ideas:

Tom M. thanked Dig Doug's Designs
  • Christopher CNC
    2 years ago

Hardscaping pretty much has to have a purpose. You already have a back deck and a pool which one hopes is well integrated with the house for dining and entertaining. Only you can say what is "something more grown up and entertaining/relaxing' that would require additional hardscape to what you currently have. Tennis court?

In some circles "something more grown up and entertaining/relaxing" would be a nice evening stroll through a beautiful garden on a mighty fine hardscaped walkway before and after a gourmet candle light supper on the deck by the pool. Walking is something more grownups should do.

Tom M. thanked Christopher CNC
  • Tom M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Chris and Doug. Your good ideas and comments are helpful.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I think I would enlarge and join up those 2 deck areas into one huge space to strat How do you even cook on the BBQ I love decks much more than patios and in your cae it would work then maybe a step or two down onto a fire pit area with some nice Muskoka chairs in bright colors . I find a firepit is always a draw once the fire is going .

• Tom M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Patricia. I like firepits also and think it is a good area to get people together.

• Tom M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Littlebug. I want to prune back some trees, not lose them. What detrimental affect will adding dirt and hardscape due to the trees? If needed, I will use permeable pavers or stone so as not to damage the surrounding landscape..

• Little Bug
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Trees typically cannot endure a dirt grade change, neither plus nor minus. Laying stone or pavers over roots also must be done with caution.

Damage to the roots - repeated driving over them by heavy machinery and/or the addition or subtraction of any material including dirt - can kill the trees. Heavy pruning can too.

An arborist can give you advice on the vulnerability of your trees.