Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

That's one big allium bulb (Ambassador)

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

As it was 50% off today I bought a couple. I have planted lots of alliums in my day but I am thinking this is the largest bulb I recall having in my possession. I weighed it and it is 450 grams/ 1 pound, (It is lots larger than any Giganteum or "Beau Regard" (from Breck's) bulbs I have planted in past years.)

Comments (34)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

i saw one just like that today.. $25 US ... like the song.. i walked on by ...

would have done the same at half off also.. lol..

ken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO073fekFfA&ab_channel=TubeSnatcher

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

(The one pictured above was on sale for $6 CDN (about $4.75 USD))

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    2 years ago

You lucky dog. i was considering splurging on a few Ambassador bulbs but waited just a little bit too long and they were all gone. You showed admirable restraint by only picking up one bulb, I would have probably grabbed as may as I could!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So @katob Z6ish, NE Pa is it your experience that Ambassador will give the largest flower on the tallest stalk of any allium?

(I did pick up two but I have decided to go back to the nursery tomorrow to get a few more....fingers crossed)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    2 years ago

I haven't grown them yet, but I think they are one of the tallest with good sized flowers.

I'd like to see if they are as 'purple' as advertised, most of the 'purples' I've tried have more of a silvery tone to them and I would really like a dark purple one such as this one is advertised.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
  • diggerdee zone 6 CT
    2 years ago

rouge, did you post a pic? I'm not seeing anything... $4.75 sounds like a great deal!

:)

Dee

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hey @diggerdee zone 6 CT can you see a picture now?

Original Author
    2 years ago

but I have decided to go back to the nursery tomorrow to get a few more....fingers crossed

So as could be easily predicted I over bought this morning i.e. got 8 Giganteum and 8 Ambassador (all at half price).

(I really should get them all in the ground today as the weather is reasonable right now and looking worse for tomorrow and next week.)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    2 years ago

OMG, lol! YES! Now I see the photo haha! Wow, that is indeed one big bulb!

Glad you found more this morning. Can't wait to see them in bloom next season!

:)

Dee

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
  • robert567
    2 years ago

I saw some today, and yes, Ambassador bulbs were very large to huge. Not sure why they much different than other tall ball types. Got one Giganteum which has a large but teardropped shape bulb. Find it a good spot, I'll see how tall I can get it.

These large "ornamental onions" don't really seem to grow rings like the species we eat, or do they? Nor like garlic with separate cloves. They seem solid.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked robert567
  • cecily 7A
    2 years ago

Am I the only one who can't get large flowered alliums to return? They bloom nicely the first year then dwindle to nothing. (Full sun, heavy clay soil, hot & dry summers, moderate & wet winters).

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked cecily 7A
  • erasmus_gw
    2 years ago

Neat!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

UPDATE June 2022):

Here is this same bulb as of today

• robert567
    last year

I planted two 'Ambassador', already bloomed and now interesting seed head pin cushion balls. Both almost exactly 4 feet tall. The purple was more intense than the giganteum which is still in bloom.

Also planted a hybrid called 'Magic', a hybrid of atropurpureum. Almost as tall and big as 'Ambassidor', it has upward pointed dark wine colored flowers, now they have cool green seeds pods.

• robert567
    last year

With large Allium bulbs like these, how well do they do the second year? Assuming they get good sun during Spring and are kept dry during Summer. Grow weaker? Divide into smaller plants?

• cecily 7A
    last year

In northern Virginia large flowered alliums dwindle and peter out in a couple of years. I have a few christophii in an especially dry bed which have bloomed for five years. Otherwise, two years has been it.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    last year

cecily - Thank you for that information.

Original Author
    last year

In northern Virginia large flowered alliums dwindle and peter out in a couple of years.

@cecily 7A, that is disappointing. The 6 or more Ambassador/Giganteum that came up in this their first spring was a highlight of our garden!

• cecily 7A
    last year

Rouge I trust that your soil isn't nearly as heavy as my red clay and your outcome will be quite different.

Original Author
    last year

All good cecily.

We had a few larger alliums from previous years and as I recall they did become less large. less vigorous over the years.

• cecily 7A
    last year

We happened to be visiting the Norfolk Botanical Garden last year (beach trip!) when the groundskeepers were pulling the alliums. Yes, they grow them as annuals like tulips.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    last year

Indeed, all alliums respond differently and culture really can impact their performance. Here's a clump of 'Globemaster' after what would have been three or four years. The soil is peaty, deep and free draining ... yes, they've since been lifted and replanted. This spring and early summer was especially cool and moist and 'Globemaster' had strutted it's stuff for an extended period of time. Some others are aggressive with seedling out or MASS blub reproduction, those types have been dug and composted!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked FrozeBudd_z3/4
  • cecily 7A
    last year

Wow, that's nice!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    last year

Yes, it has stopped a few folks in their tracks. I could have hundreds of these planted about, though I don't always get around to the early autumn chore of digging and replanting them.

Rouge, do you not also have 'Beau Regard', how has it performed?

• cecily 7A
    last year

I wish other gardeners would chime in and say "Globemaster is wicked good in Maine!" or "Globemaster was disappointing in _________". Then we would have a better idea of which regions favor large flowered alliums. Rouge was lucky to find them on sale - alliums are pricey, especially if they don't last long.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    last year

Yes, unreasonably high prices, I could make a small fortune on the excess 'Globemaster' I haven't bothered to replant.

Cecily, this forum being a very good resource and my go to regarding the performance of plants both new and old, always good having others chime in, can be fun as well !!

Original Author
    last year

Rouge, do you not also have 'Beau Regard', how has it performed?

Hey @FrozeBudd_z3/4. I had to check details ie I planted three in the Fall of 2016. I actually know exactly where they are located. I saw them this past spring, yes not as large as 5 years back but I think still big enough.

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    last year

Wow, that's an amazing photo!!

Cecily, mine didn't even all come up the first time. It could be I did something wrong though - rogue's photo is making me want to try again.

I don't recall if mine were giganteum or globemaster. Maybe they didn't get enough sun. Maybe something ate them? At any rate, out of several, like maybe 5? - I think I got one or two blooms, and then no repeats the next year.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
  • robert567
    last year

I planted two very large 'Ambassador' bulbs late last fall, and I dug them up now. Both have clearly divided into large halves with a third large clove baby. So I think digging up and replanting them is necessary to keep them huge.

Original Author
    last year

So I think digging up and replanting them is necessary to keep them huge.

That's one garden chore that I cant bring myself to do.

• Marie Tulin
    last year

I just dig them without trying when I'm planting something else.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    last year

Of course I'd have to mark where each is, dig up, store and replant. I guess with my laziness I am willing to have them slowly but surely lose their size over time.

• robert567
    last year

I did remember where I planted them, and they are quite large to find. Completely dormant, I replanted them without storage.