Software
Houzz Logo Print
jmurenko

New sectional too big?

4 years ago

So our new sectional came today, and I can't decide if it's too big for the room. It could go a bit more towards the back wall once the Christmas tree is gone, but not much. Maybe 1/4 ft. Thoughts? Too big or just a bit shocked going from a sofa and a chair to this?



Comments (50)

  • 4 years ago

    Not a pro but I think it looks good. You now need a bigger rug though!

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Interesting! I never even thought about the rug size. Perhaps that's part of the reason the sectional is feeling so large!?

  • 4 years ago

    I think the sectional is beautiful ! I would try and change the rug first , try moving it in a different way so that at least the front covers all your furniture ... and try moving the sectional towards the wall and find another space for the tree ..if you have another space ... it looks great ! Have fun moving things around until it looks right .

  • 4 years ago

    The sectional size looks good. When the tree comes down, consider moving sectional only part way back so you could add a nice console table on that back wall with the prints above. Definitely would work on a getting a larger rug with a different pattern to bring another subtle color to the space and change sofa pillows to compliment. If budget allows, consider getting a round open coffee table to open up the space there in front of the sectional and add a nice tower lamp at one end maybe. Great looking space to work with!

  • 4 years ago

    Yes, to all suggestions ...the end tables look heavy with those white cross cross woods ...until you are able to change those try painting them a dark color so that they don’t stand out as much ..

  • 4 years ago

    Try turning the rug another way and see if it fits properly before getting a larger rug. The sectional looks to be the right size

  • 4 years ago

    Beautiful and comfy looking sectional! Nice room. Looks great. I also agree consider a larger rug.

  • 4 years ago

    Larger rug or at least pull it out more from under the sectional, keeping front legs on the rug. Jan is spot on about table and pictures. I think the window would benefit from drapery panels for softness.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    The sad thing is you gained not one more comfortable seat than you had before in fact you lost one. I do agree a bigger rug . The coffee and endtables are too big and heavy looking and lower your art the center of it should be at eye level. Lamps would be a great addition too.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Turn the coffee table and the end table. Pull the sectional a few inches away from the window.

  • 4 years ago

    Your rug palette is perfect, but if you're replacing it, then get a rug with curved, not angular patterns. Since the sectional occupies so much space, if you replace your coffee table in the future, get a round or oval nexting one that can be extended--this idea, up on legs for lightness.

    Set of 2 Bronze Gold Nesting Coffee Tables, Round Large Modern Minimalist · More Info

    Add ceiling to floor curtains to soften the windows and shades

    teardrop leaf roomdarkening-wp-gray-pair-52x84 · More Info


  • 4 years ago

    Bigger rug for sure. I think rest looks lovely

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    @Patricia Colwell Consulting - we actually gained quite a bit more seating areas

  • 4 years ago

    I love sectionals! I don't think it's to big at all. agree with others, get a bigger rug.

  • 4 years ago

    Center the sectional in front of the window and a few inches from it so drapes mounted in the cornice box won't be crushed when drawn closed.. Leggy seating should be anchored on a rug that extends at least a foot around all the seating. If that is a fireplace, the rug should be 12-15" from the hearth. You can probably seat five here. Likely no one will take the corner seat except for kids who'll fight over it, especially if they like to snuggle. Two people on the chaise will both be uncomfortable as they'll have to perch to put their feet on the floor and therefore will have no back support or arm rests. Only one person will get an arm rest and most people are more comfortable in a chair with arms if they sit more than 10 minutes. End tables should arrive 1" above or below arms and be pulled forward to the front edge of the arm to be accessible. A round coffee table will look better and should be scaled lightly like the legs on the sectional. "C" tables might work better than both of those tables. They're easily pulled where needed, can hold a laptop or dinner and come in lots of styles and price points. Your wall hung pieces should center 5' above the floor and be one hand's width apart.


    C Side Table, Steel, Holds 22 lbs, White · More Info


  • 4 years ago

    Looks perfect!

  • 4 years ago

    What Jan Moyer said. She nailed it with her response.

  • 4 years ago

    Jan was right, but as that country style coffee table needs to go, so the matching end tables.

  • 4 years ago

    I love your sectional. I do agree that the tables (coffee and side) are too large and heavy. They look even larger because of the sharp contrast of the white paint. I think you need something smaller and round and not too heavy looking. I would stay away from any white or light colors personally.

    Also a larger rug will look great!

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Thanks everyone. We ordered a larger rug, new coffee and end tables and an arched lamp to replace the old Ikea one. Will need to work on the tv console and entry table as they match the coffee tables


  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Beware the matchy matchy..................................

  • 4 years ago

    like the changes! the sectional looks great; would you be willing to share where it’s from?

  • 4 years ago

    Show photos of the new items. The room will be great with the suggestions made (mostly by @Jan Moyer at the start.).

  • 4 years ago

    Jenna, you're headed in the right direction. You can do things slowly.

    As mentioned previously, your wall frames should be lower. Center of the pictures should be about 60" from the floor.

    Love your sectional and I think you'll be very happy with the larger rug.

  • 4 years ago

    Not a pro but I think it looks good. You now need a bigger rug though!

    Totally agree. Your sectional's proportions are great, and a larger rug will balance out the large seating.

    A bit too country, and a round would be better for the cocktail.

    Agree again. The sectional and the coffee tables are both nice, but they don't match. I like the round, nested coffee table that someone showed above.

  • 4 years ago

    I also agree with round being your best choice.

  • PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    @A G - belieb it or not, IKEA!

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Do you think a matching coffee and end table is too much for matching? @JAN MOYER

  • 4 years ago

    Sectional size looks okay…it’s a big room. You need some fabric: drapes or at least window-framing panels with more color than you have so far. You can add a pair or trio of pillows in the drapery fabric. A larger rug in the sectional area would be more appropriate: I like to have ALL of the front feet of the sofa on the rug. Bring the framed pictures down to eye level.

  • PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I Never match side tables and a coffee table. I like them to share the feel in a room, but not be a match in material and shape

    First picture below

    cocktail tables

    West Elm, and the drawer table? Also West elm, in the nightstand category. : )



    Below.West Elm cocktail, wayfair end table



    Notice no nest on cocktail............you don't have room to USE a pulled out nest type. Yo are boxed in by the sectional configuration. As end tables? Below. Also all west elm





    ADD A PAIR OF LAMPS : )

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    There will be enough space when the Christmas tree is gone for the sofa to fit in the corner. Simply increase the size of the coffee table in all of the objects, everything else is good.

  • PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    It doesn't matter where you PLACE the sectional. The configuration remains the same. Increase the coffee table size??? What fits , fits.

    The only way to enlarge? Remove the corner entirely, stretch out to one long sofa and chaise. Sorry, : )

  • 4 years ago

    I like it. My husband and I like to lie down on the couch to watch TV. So this has enough room for that plus another person. Or tons of room for seating. Try turning the coffee table 90 degrees and see if that helps. Where did the sofa come from? I want one!

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    @sheila0 - Ikea!

  • 4 years ago

    I don't think it is too large at all. it may look too large because the rug is too small. Also, I wouldn’t move it once you put away the tree. I would instead get a colorful mid-wall size cabinet (not to deep—maybe 12 inches) to put on the wall to the right of the Christmas tree and then put a mirror or painting above that. I would not use drapes as I don't think it would look good with the drop down over your windows, but I would consider painting the window frames a soft contrasting color.

  • 4 years ago

    My husband and I like to lie down on the couch to watch TV.

    ^^this.^^ for me, a sectional is rarely meant to seat a ton of people for long periods. It's more like for 2 people to completely sprawl out, for 3 people to sit with a respectable amount of space, or for families that want to snuggle.

    Personally I love sitting in the corner! it's so cozy. that's why I've always wanted a sectional.


  • 4 years ago

    Jan’s advice is, as usual, spot on. It’s not too big, but rug is too small, agree with her table comments and pics on the wall need to be arranged more like gallery. So in general do you lose seating with a sectional?? What would be the best kind? Chaise style?

  • 4 years ago

    That end table is too flimsy too with kids. My daughter has one for her bedroom

  • PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Sectionals limit versatility/flexible arrangements . When you do a chaise appendage ? Double the "limit" ! In other words.......you lose quite a lot to gain ONE curl up corner. Even a matched separate ottoman is better than the limits imposed by a single chaise -if only because that chaise will dictate the size of an ottoman. Just as it has above.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    @Kathy Furt - no kids here, just two adults who both wanted to be able to lie down when watching tv.

  • 4 years ago

    Jenna we also love a sectional. We do have kids and they rotate through spots when we watch tv. It’s awesome and comfy and perfect for us. Lots of sectional hate on this forum but if you like it who cares!

  • 4 years ago

    Yes so it’s seems more options with a regular couch? And love seat maybe

  • 4 years ago

    Hey Jenna gotcha!! I would do woven shades on the windows too if you felt like spending more

  • 4 years ago

    no kids here, just two adults who both wanted to be able to lie down when watching tv.

    People should design their spaces based on how they most commonly use it, which is what you did here. Separate ottomans would have looked cluttered. No reason to decorate for guests unless you entertain constantly. I find that my house is in shambles about ten minutes after family arrives but I learned to let go and just enjoy their company! Once they're gone, I put everything back and enjoy having a beautiful living room again.

    Do you have the space for comfy chairs in other rooms? "apartment" size armchairs are comfortable and light enough to pull into the living room when needed. It would look a little odd, but you definitely have the space to temporarily pull the sectional apart or move it to the corner if you need to expand the seating area.

    I honestly think that you achieved a space that has the ultimate comfort for two while also looking really great.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Here's where we're at. New rug and coffee/side table, new lamp. Hung curtains on one side (the other side will have to wait for the tree to go) took down the 3 photos on the back wall and will be replacing them with 2 larger canvases, and replaced out other media console

  • 4 years ago

    Where did you get the media console, that is exactly what I’m looking for!

  • PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    @Joy VG - I made it! Just finished it Saturday night!

  • 4 years ago

    I think it looks great! The pillows could be more fun. They don't have to be very bright or have wild patterns. If you want to keep the colors light, you can add interest with textures.






    Also, I see you are like me and require lots of throw blankets, yet too many makes the couch look cluttered when not in use. For me, I fold and stash a couple of the spares under the couch -- you can't see them unless you get down on the floor. Or get a pretty basket to drop them into, and place it next to the Christmas tree.



  • 4 years ago

    Jenna Wow! That console is beautiful, make a few more and sell them to pay for your redecorating!