Software
Houzz Logo Print
kl23

Contractor's project manager oversight

4 years ago

How much oversight should I expect from my contractor's "project manager"? My current one is barely here. Even the workers joke about it. I feel like I have to be the project manager. And that's a problem while I am short-staffed at work due to pandemic restrictions on hiring. My architect suggested a different contractor for the next step in remodeling. This is because the next step involves a lot of detail the architect feels the first contractor will miss. In establishing a new relationship, I'd like to know how often or after what steps a project manager should visit the project. Is it unreasonable to expect a visit after the demo, the day the electrician is on site, the day the plumber is on site...to see what work is needed for the drywall crew. The electrician made holes in five places but the drywall crew spotted only one and have had to return multiple times.. not very efficient. Should I just chill? Or should I expect more?

Chill
Expect more

Comments (8)

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Your remodeler should be managing every aspect of your remodeling project.


    Depending on the project scope and the particular activities du jour, a superintendent/working foreman/project manager may be camped out at the site all day long or may simply make one or two drop in visits to check on things. I would expect them to be on site at the arrival of each trade to go over the scope of work, to check on progress daily and to schedule materials and manpower so the job can be completed as soon as possible without compromising safety or quality.


    I would take your architect's advice about finding someone else for subsequent phases, provided your contract allows for it.

  • 4 years ago

    A project manager should be on site every critical day, at some point. At least 2-3x a week, depending on progress.But they should be present at all milestones.


    But you will pay for that type of quality and attention to detail. Double, at least. And you will wait on them. They may not have availability sooner than 24 months out.


    You do not get what you will not pay to receive.

  • 4 years ago

    Thanks to both of you for your comments. Verbo, this next step is the bathroom you commented on previously. As you know, there are a lot of details crammed in a standard space. One of the reasons I posted on that project was because I was afraid I was going to have to make too many decisions myself, as my current contractor was not providing much oversight. When comments on that thread assumed I hadn't already selected an architect and contractor, I realized one or both was letting me down. Comments focused on the architect, so I challenged her. She directed me to a different contractor, admitting neither she nor my current contractor were up to the next job.

  • 4 years ago

    My previous project manage only met me once and never been to the job site since. After constantly chasing him I had to fire him and I think he was glad as well because the house was beyond his experience. I hired another builder and explained to him that I want a more involved project manager. Same crap just a different day. My neighbours told us that we never see your builder and we have been noticing that as well. Last time he came to the job site was prior to drywall going up. I did try to talk to him and he was so aggressive and he turned it around on me. It has been so stressful already so I just left him alone and now I am just doing everything myself and treating him someone who will just deal with the inspection only because I have no time or energy.


    However, I don't think this is how it should be. He should be visit job site at least twice a week and he should explain the traders what is expected on the day major work.

  • 4 years ago

    I agree with you, Tee. In fact, I made a post awhile back asking what I should expect from a contractor. The pros said I should expect the project manager to be present to meet with each specialist like the electrician, plumber, etc at the beginning of the day and the end. Also the project manager should be present and inspect before things are closed from view, like when drywall is installed. How I wished ours was here to have made sure the sound insulation went behind the pipes in our laundry closet so we wouldn't hear the water rushing through them from our dining room. Oh well, who does laundry during a formal dinner with guests? And if I hadn't come home when I did, one set of pros would not have put in the braces the architect said we're important for a two-story addition outdoors, a balcony over a patio.

  • 4 years ago

    ​​SIlly me...this IS my post, haha. I'm so used to talking with you on YOUR posts, Tee!

  • 4 years ago

    Hahahahaha