Software
Houzz Logo Print
cocotree

Help! Crown molding in kitchen question

4 years ago

The rest of our main level has crown molding (see adjacent room picture with Christmas tree) but the kitchen remodelers did not install any cabinet molding and we didn’t think to discuss it with them. What can be done to make our kitchen look cohesive with the rest of the level? Should we add crown molding to rest of kitchen and skip cabinets? We have an HVAC return next to our oven- should we put some crown molding there to help? Or should we skip molding altogether in this room?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (10)

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    How upper cabinets terminate at the ceiling is a conversation any good cabinetmaker will have with the homeowner in the design phase.


    From what I can tell, there's no room for crown--nor any other type of treatment at the upper cabinets. You could run crown around the perimeter of the room, but I think it will draw attention to the fact that there is none at the top of the cabinets.

  • 4 years ago

    I think I’d take the crown until the end of the yellow wall. Up until the fridge and then leave the rest as is.

    Are you painting the walls to match?
    If you can go a size up on the crown I think that could make a big difference but would obviously be a larger undertaking than intended

  • 4 years ago

    Forgot to show the other side. Not sure I can put the trim on the yellow because the opposite side is all one wall.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I only see crown ,and BTW not properly installed, in one space so no crown in the kitchen anywhere since the cabinets are as close to the ceiling as you can get so how would the doors open if you added crown

  • 4 years ago

    The cabinets look like they are hung high. how much space is there between the top of the base and bottom of wall cabinets? They are normally 18 inches from top of countertop to bottom of wall cabinets. Usually abou 1 1/2 inches for counter.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I am not fond of the crown in the living room either. With the white crown, and the white baseboards, and the gray walls, it just makes the room look very short, and I am fairly sure, you have 8 ft celings in there. I would remove the living room crown. Crown moulding looks better in houses with 9 ft or more ceiling height. I also agree, that your upper cabinets look like they are mounted a little bit higher than they should have been.

  • 4 years ago

    I believe the crown molding has a hanging return end so I think it is proper and it’s the same as our other rooms so I do want to keep it. I just wasn’t sure I should put it in the kitchen or not. I was also thinking I could do something with the HVAC next to the stove. Maybe make add some molding and make it look like an oven hood (to give the kitchen a more traditional look) or if that would make things worse because the kitchen looks more modern. Anyway, thanks for the point about them being hung too high - they asked me if I wanted longer cabinets but didn’t mention anything about how high they should be.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Hi, Cocotree,

    If the HVAC next to the stove is indeed a return, please be advised that it is not allowed by the International Residential Code section M1602.2.4. If it's instead a supply, it would be allowed.

  • 4 years ago

    It’s a supply

  • 4 years ago

    But good to know!