Software
Houzz Logo Print
bpalaw

small kitchen - two different tile backsplash

4 years ago

There is limited backsplash area in my new kitchen. Cabinets are traditional in Irish creme. Counter is quartz with brown vein. Cabinet pulls are oiled rubbed bronze. Have decided on a semi glass mixed marble 2x6 subway tile in warm tones for area near sink (33” + 66” x 18”)
Would like to use same mixed marble in a quilt like pattern tile on other wall encompassing stove and ‘wing’ area to left and right of stove.
Question: is it appropriate to use two different tile patterns in a smallish kitchen.
Thank you

Comments (9)

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Posting pictures of the space would help.

  • 4 years ago

    Sorry no digital photos but thank you for weighing in

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Small spaces cannot afford an overly busy hodgepodge look. Both the tile and the design sounds like too much.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    While you have not posted photos of ”semi glass mixed marble 2x6 subway tile”, I can tell you that backsplashes that are any combination of (1) multicolored narrow tiles, (2) multi material tiles as in combo of marble and glass, and (3) having a lot of grout lines, are dated by a good 10-15 years.

    Your idea of using two patterns of backsplash in a small kitchen is a bad one. Start over from scratch in your backsplash search. Look at kitchens magazines and online kitchen pics for backsplashes that appeal to you. Make sure the online photos aren’t 10 years old but are current.

    Some interior designers will work on an hourly basis. It may be worthwhile for you to hire one to help you find backsplash tile for your kitchen since it sounds like you need a more expert eye for this.

  • 4 years ago

    While you have not posted photos of ”semi glass mixed marble 2x6 subway tile”, I can tell you that backsplashes that are any combination of (1) multicolored narrow tiles, (2) multi material tiles as in combo of marble and glass, and (3) having a lot of grout lines, are dated by a good 10 years or more.


    I think "dated" is the least of the worries with multi-material, multi-colored tile backsplashes. They are really, really hard to pull off in a way that doesn't look busy and overwhelm the kitchen. There's a reason that they had such a short-lived heyday 10 years ago: The vast majority of such kitchens didn't look good. I'm not saying they never worked, but typically only when the rest of the kitchen was quite plain so the tile could be the diva, or if the various component tiles were pretty similar in color (e.g. all the tiles were white just different materials and glosses).


    Of course, I haven't seen the tile, so it's entirely possible that what I'm visualizing doesn't match what you are considering. Can you provide a link to a manufacturer website?

  • 4 years ago

    Thank you all - I think I now have enough data to make a final decision - this is a wonderful forum

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Take pics with your phone and post in a comment . IMO the only way to get any help. I do agree the multi mixed backspalshes tend to have a dated look

  • 4 years ago

    @bpalaw . Hi bpalaw. I came apon this discussion as I am wondering the same exact thing. I want to do decorative tile on the wall behind the stove with white tile on all the other walls in my small kitchen to give it some charactier. I am curious what you decided on.