Software
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_margulis

Pantry Door Dilemma

4 years ago

We are putting in a new 28 inch pantry door. We took a coat closet in the hallway between back door and kitchen and converted it to a pantry so the door is not inside the kitchen, but just outside it. My question is should I go with a solid door so it just looks like a closet still? Or go with glass? And if glass, do plain or with the grids? Thanks.

Comments (10)

  • 4 years ago

    Can you upload pictures of the hallway with the existing door and where it is in proximity to the kitchen?

  • 4 years ago

    Do the solid door with an organizer. The one shown above looks very useful or  there are wire racks available for less money. Be sure to discuss this with the door guy just in case there are any issues with weight, clearances,  light switches etc

  • 4 years ago

    This is the hallway area from garage door entrance….Soon to be mud room to the left (with no door), kitchen to the right, baby gate coming down. 😊. BUT just found out today that the door swing is changing if that makes a difference. We currently have a typical outward door swing since it was a coat closet. Now it will swing inward so it might be too tight to put an organizer on the door? It is 7 feet long or so but only about 3 1/2 feet wide when you step in and some of that will be eaten up by shelf depth. Aside from the practicality of the organizer, if that cannot be done, wondering if still should do solid or not. 🤔 Sorry for lengthy description!

  • 4 years ago

    Why would the door swing in? The room is still used for storage, just for packaged food and appiances, not coats That doesn't make sense to me because you will lose all the space behind the door swing. You could store some things behind the door but they would need to be rarely used because it will be a major pain to get them out.

  • 4 years ago

    I tend to agree with you. I’ll have to ask my KD why he suggested it this way. Maybe because it’s a small entryway, this will keep the door out of the way since it will be opened a lot. Can potentially stay open a while without being on the way? But you bring up a great point! Ty

  • 4 years ago

    i have same question @Lyndee Lee has about door swing. Why change it? My in kitchen pantry is an out swing, Also, FWIW, my pantry door is reeded glass. Obscures what’s in pantry but sure lightens the look by not having a solid door.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I would have to agree. You lose a wall of storage with an inswing door.


    also add a 4" LED disc to light the space.

  • 4 years ago

    I am curious about the designer's rationale for changing the door to inswing.

  • 4 years ago

    Thanks for all the input everyone! I didn’t ask him, I just had him switch it to an outward swing. Makes so much more sense. Would be fine if I had a huge pantry, but I can use all the interior storage space I can get. 😊