Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_832934053

New home construction. Overwhelmed with planning

A D
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi,

We are constructing a new home in Oregon using Hiline homes. We went with what's called the Super shell package where rough plumbing, rough electrical, insulation, and sheetrock finished and textured comes with the construction. We then take over to finish the trim, cabinetry, floors, kitchen and the interior details.

We have about 4-5 months before sheet rock is laid. These are the main things we need to hash out soon:

• Kitchen & pantry cabinets
  • Bathroom sinks & storage
  • Living room and bedroom storage
  • Floors

While we are talking with local cabinet makers we want to explore Ikea too since the cost quite low. How do folks plan these things for new construction? Are there pros in Houzz that will help us design kitchen/bathroom/bedrooms based off of the approved plans? We are also interested to hear experiences from folks who've gone through this process. Thanks in advance!!

Comments (7)

• Tee
    2 years ago

Hi

Being in the similar boat I would say buckle up. If you don’t have designs I think it would be wise to hire someone locally. Another issue we keep facing is supplies and delay in delivery and in some things we had to compromise. So make sure you select cabinets, countertop, tiles, glass installers. Also order your windows, main door and garage door that is taking up a lot of time.

• User
    2 years ago

Yes, you badly need a Designer. I have list of ones that do remote design.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

BTW insist on smooth drywall finish everywhere and pay the extra you will not regret it. As for the rest for sure get an Interior designer who also has kitchen design in there pocket . Never use a cabinet salesperson to design a kitchen I happen to love Ikea and use them often in my kitchen designs you can also use them to help design your kitchen but they are limited to what the software can do , where as a real KD can use Ikea but think outside the realm of Ikea software I assume the windows are in since drywall work can begin

• tangerinedoor
    2 years ago

You are about to enter the realm of 1 million decisions.

When I was making decisions about my house.....what I'd like, ideas, fantasies, photos from websites, etc. I used Trello (free online app). I really recommend it.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2 years ago

Hi, A.D.,

I don't know what type of construction contract you have, but the best-case scenario would be a fixed-price construction contract. If so, you know the price of your build--at least up to the drywall phase--with a fair degree of certainty.

If you have a budget for the overall project (and who doesn't?) then subtract the builder's cost for their portion of the project and whatever's left over becomes your budget for everything else you need to accomplish. Do some homework so you can make reasonable allocations of costs for the various finishes and stay within that budget. And recognize the we're still in a crazy environment with regard to cost and availability of various materials and components. You're likely to overspend the budget and run late on schedule.

• shirlpp
    2 years ago

Are there pros in Houzz that will help us design kitchen/bathroom/bedrooms based off of the approved plans?

What do you mean when you say you need help with designing the bedrooms? Do you mean you need help with furniture placement? Choosing furniture? Flooring? Where to put closets?

• thinkdesignlive
    2 years ago

The approved plans show plumbing locations which solidifies your kitchen and bathroom layouts - so that interior design pro needs to work in tandem from the beginning.