Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

GEE GAWS in the garden

ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

and pets nor grandkids are geegaws ...

any garden ornament .. or piece of garbage thats so big.. you leave it where it sits.. and declare it ART ... thats how i used many large piece of wood ... lol... art ..

nothing like an overturned root mass as garden art.. i wonder if i have a pic of that ..

ken

ps: btw.. POTS in the garden is coming up ... so save those for later ...

Comments (43)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

threw .. or bowled this out into the lawn ... decades ago .. and the irish wolfhound picked it up and carried it across the yard ..

many year later ... some bird had some kind of emotional breakdown on it ... whats that all about ... i suspect some tree was was producing berries or cherries... or something or another... and i really don think his problem was in his or her head .. lol

notice the fang groove ... and that bird must have been a mathematician or engineer ... what??? ... turn 35 degrees every time .... a true decorator ...

Original Author
    2 years ago

symmetry in nature ... lol ..

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    2 years ago

This falls under the "leave it where it sits" category. End of last winter a wagon cart from my neighbor up on top of the hill came rolling down and landed in the top part of my west hill garden. It's too hard for me to push it back up (steeper than the picture looks) and too hard for them to pull it up, so there it sits. Plants covered it up later in the year.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

I have to admit I love all these threads-they distract from buying plants I’m not supposed to be!!

Original Author
    2 years ago

are those solar lights .. or is your garden electrified?

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

Solar. They would probably last longer if I took them down every fall and put them back up in late spring but that is too much work so I won’t do them again

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

Now these are solar and I really like them. Our constant wetness fall through spring doesn’t faze them at all

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    2 years ago

I wish I had pics because these two things would trump any gee gaws posted lol. They may not be in "gardens" exactly, but they are in people's yards and I think they're worth a mention here.

There's a house in my town that has an old airplane on it's front lawn. They decorate it at Christmas and it's kind of cool. I found this picture, not so great, but here it is

https://www.sheltonherald.com/news/community/article/Family-tradition-turns-residents-home-into-13957003.php

But the plane is old news around here lol. Then about two weeks before Christmas I was driving along a busy road and suddenly saw a life-size woolly mammoth in someone's front yard!! I thought I was seeing things, and couldn't stop to look, but others have confirmed the sighting to me lol. It's huge and very dynamic, striding right at you. I can't imagine why it's there lol, but it sure is different!

:)

Dee

Original Author
    2 years ago

this post was intended to include pots... and flags.. and any other ornamentation ... things that increase the visual impact of you plant scape ...

im surprised how few pots have been included ...

anyone up to the challenge ...

ken

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

I thought POTS were going to have their own thread….

• erasmus_gw
    2 years ago

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 years ago

I do like fish…

and more fish.,.

tj

• erasmus_gw
    2 years ago

Oh gosh..I love that school of fish swimming in the air!

• erasmus_gw
    2 years ago

Just remembered I have a fish too...he's more of a land carp. Sits on the ground.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

Original Author
    2 years ago

im surprised how few pots have been included ...

==>>>

so i cruise on back.. and happen to notice the last line of my original post says.. dont include pots .. lol ...

and then oursteeler points that out.. go figure ..

ken

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    2 years ago

...things that increase the visual impact of you plant scape ...

Hmm, I thought my woolly mammoth would have gotten more notice. If that doesn't make an impact, nothing will, lol. Guess I'll have to try to get a photo...

Loving all the pictures of stuff! Some beautiful things in your gardens, especially the kids and animals!

Dee

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    2 years ago

So apparently my coworker didn't really believe me about the mammoth, so she went to look for herself and got these pictures.

Still not sure what possessed someone to put this in their yard. And I can only imagine how much it cost lol!

Dee

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    2 years ago

Where in the world would they get this? There could be more than one because I feel like I've seen this before online, HGTV, or somewhere before. I would want to put some large leaf tropicals around it to keep the prehistoric theme going!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    2 years ago

I have no idea! LOL I have sooo many questions! Where did they get it, WHY did they want it, how much did it cost, are they building something (garden, landscaping, etc) around it, did they just think it would be cool to have a random woolly mammoth in their front yard? LOL. Maybe they WILL do some kind of woolly mammoth garden - whatever that would entail haha!

Dee

Original Author
    2 years ago

well i suppose if you have a mammoth in your yard.. may as well wrap its husks in xmas lights ... wouldnt want peeps to miss it at night ....

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    2 years ago

Well Dee, I think you should just knock on the door and ask them! lol

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    2 years ago

Haha PM2, we were discussing that very thing at work! Saying how we should just ring their doorbell and ask. You don't put a woolly mammoth in your front yard if you are an introvert lol.

Ken I think there is some kind of christmassy type wreath around it's head!

Dee

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    2 years ago

Toad House:

(Please ignore the weeds ...)

Declared to be art ...

Deer defense ... I mean ... artistically placed sticks?

Okay, these guys obviously aren't in my garden ... but they are in a garden ...

Boston Public Garden ... Make Way For Ducklings

2 years ago

As for roots sticking out of the ground .... I have to find that picture ... I have one somewhere ...

2 years ago

Okay, I really wanted to find my close up of "Bug-a-Boo," but I can't find the rest of the pictures ... so here's what I could find for my roots sticking out of the ground art ...

The bamboo belongs to the neighbors ... the property ends at the stone wall ... the root infiltration came before the wall and root barrier were added. Bug-a-Boo is made from the roots that we couldn't get out all the way after breaking two shovels.

Original Author
    last year

bump.. anything new this season?

• jrb451
    last year

Hiking boot.

Audrey Two.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    last year

I have a bunch of gee gaws but for some reason they're all in my garage lol. I think I took them in one year and just never got around to putting them back out. I have a very inexpensive japanese lantern out in the garden which has held up amazingly well for almost 25 years, but no pics. I do have this little teapot planter (blooms from last year)

Dee

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last year

So many interesting items here! I am not much for Gee Gaws but tj I adore your flying fish! I realized I had never taken pics of the couple I have. These were gifts. Rocks are my garden art - do they count???

It is roughly 1'.

This one is larger, at least 2 1/2 ft. tall. Some of it is buried.

• functionthenlook
    last year

I have quite a few tchotchke in the yard at camp. It is something I wouldn't have at my primary home. It's fun and whimsical.

• functionthenlook
    last year
    last modified: last year

last year

I did finally find those pictures of Bug-A-Boo ... a.k.a. the root art (it was on an old camera card) ... For those who don't want to read up, these were roots from the neighbor's bamboo that we couldn't get out after breaking two shovels trying.

• lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
    last year

I “trash-picked” these cuties from a neighboring subdivision; I had always thought they were cute, and when the house they belonged to was sold, the new owners put them out by the curb with their garbage! They were too heavy to carry home (I was out for a walk), so I drove back and got ’em.