Software
Houzz Logo Print
frycx

textured ceilings

4 years ago

Our builder applied a texture to our ceilings without discussing with us. I’m not sure I want this and my builder insist this is the best way he does them. Is this new practice to texturize the ceiling?

Comments (17)

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Many times texture is applied to ceilings to hide imperfections in materials or craftsmanship, mainly materials. Some light fixtures emphasize those imperfections. Be glad they did not chose the stalactite or popcorn techniques.

  • 4 years ago

    Thanks! I wish I would have been consulted before making the decision.

  • 4 years ago

    I'm not a big fan of texture on walls or ceilings, but what you have is pretty subdued. I could live with that.

  • 4 years ago

    I’m not either. I wouldn’t have selected it either. Not sure I want to keep it! Thanks!

  • 4 years ago

    This is standard for many builders - flat ceiling is considered an upgrade. I’m surprised there was nothing in your contact about this. Our specs included ceiling texture. I prefer flat ceilings.

  • 4 years ago

    Texture is a very regional thing. What type of build was this? Custom/Tract/Semi-custom?

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Ask if it's possible to cover it with a skim coat. I recommend veneer plaster rather than joint compound if its available in your area. Its what they put on "blueboard"

    In my area the ceiling would be hard smooth veneer plaster even for a tract house unless you asked for something else so its regional.

  • 4 years ago

    Helpful comments. I’m in IN. This is a full custom home. I’m going to review the contract today but I do not believe it was in there. Thank you!

  • 4 years ago

    I did review my contact and nothing in the contract. Would you change if you could? I’m not sure I’m going to like it but it doesn’t look horrible. I’m wondering with cabinets and finished if I will even notice. Anyone have them and don’t mind having textured ceilings?

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    What is the finish on the beams and walls?

    Has any of it been painted?

  • 4 years ago

    The ceilings were painted and the walls primed. It’s knockdown texture. I’ve made the decision I don’t want it. I’m going to have him fix it to smooth. Thanks!

  • 4 years ago

    I definitely consider it a downgrade. I would not accept it. It has to be removed. I wouldn't get used to it after moving in. I would make sure any future design 'features the builder wants to try do not go forward without my approval.

  • 4 years ago

    Totally agree. At least he is going to fix it.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    We just moved to a house this year built in 1999 and I detest texture ceiling and almost kept us from buying the house. It has a stomped/stippled ceiling and I just completed my first room of smoothing out the ceiling. Sanded first then applying two skim coats. Came out great, but what a mess. Now for the rest of the house. I am just going to try and power through and cover everything and get it done and move on. You are making the right decision to go smooth now.

  • 4 years ago

    Thank you! Your comment is helpful. I agree. Better to do it now than later after we move in.

  • 4 years ago

    I prefer smooth. The texture of your drywall should have been discussed with you.