Software
Houzz Logo Print
pook019

Closet Conversion to Built in TV Cabinet

4 years ago

Hi All -
Looking for ideas and experience converting a 60” closet into a built in TV Cabinet. We currently have a actual TV cabinet in the closet with lots of wasted room around it. I’m thinking about buying a 60” counter height cabinet base to put inside. Then deciding if I should have a false back built out to mount the TV or just have it sit on the cabinet?
Also not sure to handle the ceiling - it goes up inside and I wondered if I could make that storage by putting in a shelf and maybe slider doors. Welcome any ideas. Here’s a picture of current and a few things I saw online. But those look shallower that the 24” depth the closet has….

Comments (8)

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    First, that's an awesome idea - converting an closet (especially if it is unused or underused) into an entertainment center. My first thought is to consult with a carpenter that might have some experience making such a conversion. He or she might be able to give you even more ideas about what might be the best layout and fit. Good luck!

  • 4 years ago

    Agree with @Norwood Architects. You will need a custom wood piece anyway, so start interviewing recommended people in your area. They probably know how to do this to maximize all the interior space. Great idea.

  • 4 years ago

    Thanks! I’m having trouble finding some ideas so came here! I do have a handyman lined up to do the work but need to guide the plan a bit.

  • 4 years ago

    Since the closet is 24" deep and you don't want the TV recessed you will want to use a solution with the TV on a shelf (first picture). Then I would have drawers or baskets in the cubbies so things don't get lost in the back. If you're going to use baskets, look at what available sizes are before you build cubbies.

  • 4 years ago

    What is in the room behind the closet? Maybe your storage could open into that room, or to the side where there is a door. You don't need the depth of a closet for a TV.

  • 4 years ago

    Agree with seeing if there’s a way to access unused depth from the opposite side. If not might put TV on unobtrusive stand and have false wall/cab with sliding door behind it where you can hide things (shallow wall safe, for example) with deeper drawers beneath. I used some unused depth from a bath nook to put a shallow built in jewelry cabinet on the other side. For my coat closet I used a Murphy door that is a bookshelf/cabinet that swings open to reveal closet. Depending upon budget and the creativity of your carpenter you can do some cool things!

  • 4 years ago

    Thanks! Sliding door was something I was thinking too!! That wall is an exterior wall so no opportunity to access the space from the other side.

  • 4 years ago

    So I think I’ve landed on a plan! Counter height cabinet on bottom. 2 12” high, 30” wide cabinets up top with backing and ceiling and floor removed and sitting on a shelf and another shelf below it. Then a false back wall to hide the cords and so the TV doesn’t sit too deep. Any experience with the false back wall idea?? Picture of the false wall here is from a blog. And mock up of the closet I just did by copying pictures of the cabinets from Home Depot website.