Software
Houzz Logo Print
draper09

Kitchen update help

13 years ago
Updating kitchen. Stained golden oak cabinets dark and got new tile. Need ideas for countertops, sink, and backsplash. Ranch style home. Plan to get stainless refrigerator and change to can lighting. Made mistake of getting modern looking appliances even though I want a more traditional style kitchen. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments (67)

  • 13 years ago
    The entire house is rustic and neutral. Room closest to kitchen has beige walls and is very neutral. I like idea of a lighter island since the cabinets are so dark.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi draper09 - yes, I agree with you. A lighter island will brighten the space. That turquoise that Margo C. proposed was pretty though. Any kind of soft green would work, too, and would look nice with the dark wood. Look at shades of green (muddier colors towards the brown tones) It would be hard to go lighter with any other color because I think it would come off too pastel. Since everything else is neutral, it might be worth thinking about! :-) It would really make a statement in there! Take a look at Sherwin Williams "Tansy Green" SW6424 or Benjamin Moore "Ponderosa Pine" 531. These are green-based but still along the flooring tones. I am always leery of giving actual colors online because it's almost impossible to do, but think of them as a kind of starting point. I think it would be worth looking at some greens when you go to get paint samples.
  • 13 years ago
    Maybe like this green per Kathryn's suggestion;)
    Kitchen · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Love that green island! ^
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Perfect, Margo! That kind of soft green is just as neutral as what you would typically think of as "neutral". If you did that kind of color, you could go with a whiter quartz on the island and do a granite with some green in it on the perimeter. This may be too much green for you (hey, you may not like ANY of this) but this is beautiful and picks up the dark of the cabinets! http://www.kitchen-design-ideas.org/niagara-green-granite.html Or, here is a kitchen where they've used all the same, more neutral yet lighter color granite
    Kimberly Cole Design · More Info

    Just a couple more ideas. If you go with an actual color on the island, you may want to consider painting an upper cabinet or two in the same color (again, look at Margo's photo). Adding glass fronts would be nice, too, and would break up all the solid color.
  • 13 years ago
    The neutral green island is beautiful. I will pick up some paint samples. I won't be able to change the cabinets other than hardware.. Which it sounds like I should do. My cabinets have the old outside style hinges.. What do I do about those if I do s.st pulls? Also... What is the very first thing I should be doing? Lighting, countertop, island paint, hardware? Thank you SO much for your help!
  • 13 years ago
    The counter top is your biggest investment, so I would decide what I really want with that first;) The rest is fluff and fun;)
  • 13 years ago
    As far as the cabinet hardware, since you have hingers on the outside, I think I might go with a glass pull then and not worry about trying to match the hinges;)
  • 13 years ago
    I love the color scheme! The dark oak with the lighter counter tops - beautiful. I have been going to several places in Halifax, looking for kitchen cabinets. I can't decide to go dark or lighter.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    With stainless appliances,darker cabinets and a lighter countertop always looks great! A warm wood tone with stainless steel appliances can add warmth to any kitchen.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yes, I agree with Margo - since you have exposed hinges that you should go with a different material on the dark cabinets. What is the finish on the hinges? Is it an oil rubbed bronze look? Glass knobs could work, as Margo suggested. You would just want to make sure they aren't too faceted and glitzy looking to go with the heavier materials in your kitchen. Another option would be to go with a ceramic (or similar material, i.e. non-metal). I think it would actually look nice to go with a green knob, if you could find something to work, or maybe a cream. I am assuming the hinges are the same on the island which means they will stand out more there when you paint it. I think I would use the oil rubbed bronze finish on the island pulls (or whatever matches the hinges) - they will stand out and they will relate in color back to the dark cabinets.

    Here is something that might work if it works with the floor colors. A bit different than what I was talking about, but pretty; and the little bit of metal on this doesn't bother me. Also, this is a GREAT website with great prices if you can find something that works for you.
    http://www.dlawlesshardware.com/cltrpakn1tal.html

    Something like this might work on the dark cabinets if the green island color was in this family.
    http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/antique-sea-green-and-turquoise-stone-resin-knob-697128/

    Same color issue with this:
    http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/turquoise-round-wood-knob-750976/

    This is quite pretty. The ivory is softer than a white and the little metal there is is antiqued so I think it would work. This also comes in what they call a blue, but you never know - it might work, too. http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/ivory-crackle-ceramic-knob-with-metal-center-245761/

    There are a million options out there. I'll keep my eyes open for you :-)

    Oh oh - I just looked at the photo you posted of your cabinet doors and I see the hinges are more of a brass. That's OK - but you should look for knobs, which if they have any metal on them, are a brass finish. Sorry - that didn't register before!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    As far as your plan of attack and what you should be doing first, the very first thing I would do is get a direction going with the island color. It doesn't mean that you may not have to fine tune this color as you go along, but if you select a color you like, that can easily be done, plus you've got your starting point. So, #1. Pick a color for the island (knowing you might have to adjust as you go) #2. Look at countertop materials. There is a fairly substantial difference in cost for granites, depending upon the color/pattern, if this is of concern. Quartz (man-made) can actually be more expensive than granite but if you do it in only one spot (the perimeter OR the island) it shouldn't be too much. You will need to look at this at the same time so you can match up your selections. With granite, you will pick out the actual slab that will be used in your kitchen, but unless you select something with a large color or pattern variation, you won't need to do this right away. #3 Backsplash tile. This can only be selected after you have picked the countertops. This takes time because there are so many beautiful things out there! Don't rush it. #4. Lighting. Add undercabinet lighting (you can get this at the big box stores if you want to). Also, I would add some pendant lighting over the island both for function and aesthetics. #5. Hardware. This might actually happen at any time in the process if you find something you love. It is kind of the "jewelry" of the kitchen, so make it beautiful and functional.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    When you get to the lighting, I think some copper pendants would look fantastic with the dark cabinets and green island ;)


    Showhome 2010 - 2 · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I love the granite in this picture and the island color. thank you! http://houzz.com/photos/64297
  • 13 years ago
    Getting out new refrigerator this weekend! The counter depth refrigerators won't work for our family because they are smaller inside and we really the need the space. Will a regular stainless steel refrig look okay?
  • 13 years ago
    I would get stainless as your other appliances are;)
  • 13 years ago
    Yes planning on stainless but will the regular size be okay since the counter depth is so small?
  • 13 years ago
    What other choice is there?
  • 13 years ago
    BTW- where are you putting the frig. Same place or are you moving it?
  • 13 years ago
    I'm not sure. I just don't want to make the mistake of getting regular size if its going to look terrible.
  • 13 years ago
    Same place :)
  • 13 years ago
    I opted for the counter depth for the look, we are only a family of 3 and eat out a lot. If space is a concern and need you should weigh the pro's and con's. Counter depth's are also more expensive. If you are keeping it in the same place, how do you feel about the current refrig. Is the protrution a big deal? Do you have another refrig. or freezer in the basement?
  • 13 years ago
    Our current refrigerator has never bothered me but I agree counter depth would look much better. I have two little ones and one big husband and ours is always filled to the max. Not worried about price difference.. About $600 more. But I really feel I need to get the larger size. And I promise to not put magnets on it so maybe it won't stand out so much ;)
  • 13 years ago
    Warms the cockles of my heart to hear you say that about the magnets;))) My husband is always grumbling about how nothing fits in the refrig. You might be smart to take the reg. size! I sure hope you post pics of your progress;)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    To get the same cubic foot storage in a counter depth refrigerator, you need to go wider, since the depth is shallower. It doesn't look like you can do that anyway. The regular depth refrigerator will not stand out as much at the end of a cabinet run as it would in the middle somewhere. You might be able to add some trim onto the existing panels to extend it out.
  • 13 years ago
    What about counter depth and putting the old refig in the garage for extra food? I would start with counter tops. You can decide on island color from your granite. Use solid surface on counters and granite on the island. I love Margo C. comments
  • 13 years ago
    Love this granite. Typhoon Bordeaux. What do you think?
  • 13 years ago
    More pics
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    PERFECT!!!!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    hbmiller's comment reminded me of something: if you live in a climate which drops below freezing, a refrigerator in the garage will not work because the food will freeze. They do make garage refrigerators which I believe solve this problem.
  • 13 years ago
    We decided that for us it was more important to have the larger refrigerator. We got the new Samsung sparkling water fridge! Super excited!
  • 12 years ago
    Ok here's the latest with the kitchen!! Need ideas for backsplash, stools, and new dining table. Any other suggestions or comments??
  • 12 years ago
    More pics of house. After Kitchen is complete I start on living room.
  • 12 years ago
    More pics of house. After Kitchen is complete I start on living room.
  • 12 years ago
    Maybe remove the tile and start fresh with marble or marble look alike for the countertops!
  • 12 years ago
    Kristin the tile is gone and granite is is. Look at the recent photos I posted. Need some ideas for backsplash to go with typhoon bordeaux granite :)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Do you want to add color or keep it monochromatic?
  • 12 years ago
    I think monochromatic. Also should I get rid of the chairs at my dining table too or just the table?
  • 12 years ago
    Beautiful work! I actually like that you kept the island the same countertop and dark color for the cabinet. I would suggest a very neutral/light colored (or even white!) glass subway tile (3"x6") for the backsplash. Keeps the focus on your cabinets/countertops! I think a colorful or smaller tile backsplash would be way too busy in your kitchen. Your countertops are beautiful. For stools, if you really want the seating in this area, I would keep the short black slat ones you already have! I think they look great, and can "hide" under your island when not in use. Another thought is a solid skinny bench with a leather seat. I've seen them for dining room tables but they could work for island seating, and could hide under there also. Or get slat dark wood stools similar to what you have here but with black leather seats. I would not get stools with backs, they will detract from your kitchen. For a dining table, what do you think about getting a rectangular dining table with a solid surface similar to your countertops? You could get a dark surface (like black) or even a white surface, which would look great I think. I have a dark wood table similar to your cabinet color with a black granite top that I love. The best thing I like about it is no scratches/chips/wood discoloration, but I have small kids that could ruin anything with a wood surface! LOL If this is not your style, I would suggest a long rectangular dark wood dining table with seating for 6-8. I would not recommend a pub-height table, I think it would detract from your kitchen/island. I also would not recommend a round table. I would move the table to be more symmetrical/parallel to island, and relocate and replace the light fixture above the dining table. The nice thing about pendant lighting is you can swap out shades and change accent colors to your room. No matter the table you choose, you can put a centerpiece on it or use white/off-white decor to go with your kitchen. Great kitchen you have here! Thanks for sharing!
  • 12 years ago
    I like the monochromatic design also (as you probably can tell from my suggestions) and would use decor to add the colors you want.
  • 12 years ago
    Do dark hardwood floors and the
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Why do you want to replace the stools at the island? Do you want something more comfortable? with a back? I agree with Sarah Bullock that keeping them low-key will work the best; you want the cabinets and counters to stand out, not the stools. If you want something different, just for a change, I would go with something a bit rustic to play against the slick surfaces and to pick up on the cabinet in your family/living room (I love it!) Or how about a sophisticated wicker look to add texture?
    http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod690098&categoryId=cat1701061

    I don't see any reason to change your dining chairs, unless you just want to. I think you could go one of two ways with the table: very contemporary or rustic. Again, I like the play of the rustic against the modernity of your chairs, but it's really just a personal choice. Again I agree with Sarah that rectangular is the way to go in your space. I would stay relatively dark with the table so that it doesn't try to steal the show. This one kind of marries a contemporary and rustic/industrial look (and brings in the look of your barstools and that cabinet)
    http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1617015&categoryId=cat1701061
    OR
    http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2350112&categoryId=cat2220025

    More contemporary
    http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2270002&categoryId=cat2400288

    http://www.westelm.com/products/metal-and-wood-dining-table-72-h235/?pkey=cdining-tables&cm_src=dining-tables||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

    I also agree that keeping a simple, light backsplash would work well.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I forgot to add: your kitchen looks great! You've done a really nice job :-)
  • 12 years ago
    White granite countertop

    http://houzz.com/photos/109770
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you so much for your help! What do you think about these stools? I love the RH farmhouse table and happy to hear I can still use my chairs. Should I use all my white chairs or mix like I have them now. Im not sure I like the way it looks right now. Doesn't seem like the peacock chair goes with our rustic feel..whatab
  • 12 years ago
    With rivets?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yes, I like these. Substantial looking, but still low key.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I like the chairs you have, but if you want to change them out, how about something like this
    http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1679223&categoryId=cat1701059#
  • 12 years ago
    We just got done with our kitchen remodel last week. One piece of advise: get a large, one-basin, deep (10") sink. This has been the greatest investment in our remodel. We got rid of the whole sink divider and now we can fit so much more dirty pots and pans. We got ours at faucetdirect.com and the brand is Kaus.