Software
Houzz Logo Print
angela_meister65

Small walk in closet design help! From scratch

4 years ago

Hi everyone! Moving into a new place and have a great opportunity to create a walk in closet situation. I would go straight to ikea and buy the built in closet if i could but unfortunately they are too tall, so I have to DIY.

I have some ideas but I want to hear any input if you have about optimizing the space. I think perhaps a lot of hanging would be good for clothes rather than dresser. I will post all my ideas/ photos here!


Side note: apparently the walls are thin so mounting things might not be an option.




Ignore my headless boyfriend in the photos lol!!





Comments (6)

  • 4 years ago

    Everyone is going to ask for measurements! When I planned our closets, I used a system that could be reconfigured. Ella systems are at The Container Store and you will find help there as well as special storage. I bought the wire systems at Lowe’s because I lived in a hot, humid climate and wire systems are better for air circulation as opposed to wooden systems.

    Angela Meister thanked remodeling1840
  • 4 years ago

    Unfortunately its too short! I checked. :(

  • 4 years ago

    What is too short for what?

    Elfa system is customizable, length and height. And, they make a stand-up version for where drilled installations aren’t possible.

    One of the numbers implies that the closet is only 13” deep? Did I read that right?

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    You need about 7’ to have hanging on both sides. 2‘ for hanging space on each side and a 3’ aisle. I have a 6’ Wide closet decked out with pax on one side with deep drawers and hanging space. On the other side, I have 14” deep shelving and shoe and bag storage. I have a 3’ walkway, and really thats as narrow as I would go. Keep that in mind that stuffing that closet full of shelving and rods is a waste if theres no space to maneuver.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Does that bulkhead by the door keep it from opening 90⁰?

    Does that little hatch to attic or crawlspace have to stay immediately accessible?

    What do you need to store in your closet? Is it for the two of you? Or just you? Do you have mostly pants and tops? Tops that hang? Dresses? Work at the workplace clothes or work from home? What about shoes, accessories? Seasonal clothing?

    Offhand, without measurements, I'm picturing: in the space around the corner from the door, hanging with shelves above. Far end, a full length mirror. Long wall, drawers, countertop, shelves above for shoes.

    This is kind of my own preference, to not see hanging things first thing when I walk in. It can be chaotic with the different colors, textures, and lengths.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!