Software
Houzz Logo Print
sarah1433

What do you think??

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

This is the beginning stages of the floorplan. Ignore the garage - it's cut off because it's a large one. I am mainly focused on the flow etc. of the house. One thing to note, I hate an open floor plan but understand it is popular so I'm trying to incorporate some open areas without caving to trends. Also, the view is towards mountains which is why the focus on all of the rooms is to one side of the house. Let me know if you have any questions! Thank you!



Comments (12)

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Really I can'r read this at all.Draw the plan on graph paper with all rooms named and all meaurements clearly marked We will need a lot more info as to the size of your family how you entertain etc.

  • 4 years ago

    With all those covered porches, none of the rooms will be able to see your mountain views. :(

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    "What do you think??"

    I think I can not read it.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    First thought was the maze in The Shining. Overly convoluted and not designed to intuitively find your way through it.


    And. Its as if it were designed for the cars and not the humans as the clients. It’s a too big too much garage, with a bare pastiche of awkward living space attached.

  • 4 years ago

    This is not the beginning stages. If it were, they should be hand sketches or a combo of basic CAD with hand overlays, not fully developed drawings. It seems that this will hamper your ability to change or even adjust anything.

    Having "closed off" rooms as opposed to "open concept" should not change successful circulation, flow, and adjacencies. Just because rooms are walled off doesn't mean you have to travel like in a doctor's office ("go down the hall, find room 212 for vitals, then come back to 204 for blood draw, then go to 208 for your checkup"). Circulation can still provide a sense of arrival at points and rhythm along the way.

    I try to find the concept behind floor plans/elevations to get in the same mindset for advice or solutions; it's usually pretty evident looking at drawings. Here, I'm having difficulty recognizing one. I would recommend that you google "early 1900s house floor plans" and you will see some very successful, yet non-open-concept, examples.


  • PRO
    4 years ago

    "This is the beginning stages of the floorplan" means the OP is open to major changes.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    You enter from the garage through a "utility room". This seems to imply all of your mechanics will be in this room? Check your clearances...

  • 4 years ago

    Open concept is over 40 years of a trend. I don't see anything open in this plan. A lot of space to storage rooms and hallway. This house will be a great subject for Love It or List It.

  • 4 years ago

    Who is living here? and what are your needs?


    I do like you use of small entries for the master bath / closet and getting to the powder room - it feels more elegant that dumping people out in the hall or bedroom.


    The laundry room will take an icky task and increase it's drudgery....no windows, no folding space, no storage, no space for hampers, and it's a walkthrough.

  • 4 years ago

    The master bath and closet are bigger than the bedroom. Does that make sense to you?

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    It seems convouted and maze like with too many rooms, so not very open concept. I’m not a fan of angled doorways. They seem very 80’s to me or like the designer couldnt find a way to make the spaces work together so threw in some angled doorways. But I guess that’s also a matter of preference.

  • 4 years ago

    Who designed this?