Software
Houzz Logo Print
linda_loftin

Design dilemma black splash

4 years ago

I want a new blacksplash but i am not changing the dark granite countertop. i know i want glass for ease of cleaning but i am clueless about the color i should go for. will appreciate your ideas. Microwave used to be in the empty spot but we are awaiting a new one.


Comments (18)

  • 4 years ago

    Black sounds pretty severe.

    If you posted a more expansive photo you might get more help.

    Is it a small space? any natural light?

    a photo of the whole room & your style would help.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Would you consider a slab of stone or stainless steel directly over the cooktop, and glass tiles elsewhere? The grout in the existing tiles looks discolored, so you may want to avoid that in the future.

  • 4 years ago

    I like this idea. I will explore it. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    You're welcome, Linda!

  • 4 years ago

    I would avoid glass matchstick or mosaic tiles, they are becoming very dated.  If you prefer glass you should consider sheet glass.

  • 4 years ago

    yours is one of the older speckled granites I like. glass however is too subtle/ will disappear. seek something that stands up to the granite a bit......I like these w some pattern or some distinction w grout color esp w your simple door style.

    Marvin Project · More Info


    Woodstock Modern Kitchen · More Info


    Historic Addition with New Kitchen and Bathrooms · More Info

  • 4 years ago

    I agree with those who said a porcelain or ceramic will work better with your granite. I love the ideas that @herbflavor posted. Using a white tile in an interesting installation or shape (like arabesque) will add interest to the backsplash wall without competing with the pattern of your granite. Keep in mind that a subway tile glass will change color when it’s installed, so it’s harder to choose those without doing sample boards.

  • 4 years ago

    Wow, such great ideas. Thanks for the pictures @Herbflavor. Also, I didn’t know glass was becoming dated. My tile guy recommended it, but now I will rethink. You all are really appreciated and I thank you so much!

  • 4 years ago

    I would look for a plain light-to-medium gray tile which matches a gray in your counter. Use matching grout. The tile you have now leans toward a milky blue and the grout color is totally wrong.

  • 4 years ago

    Hello, I see at least 3 options for your awesome speckled granite, considering the tone of your cabinetry. To minimize grout lines (easy cleaning at cooktop and less visually distracting) I would go with oversized tiles, NOT 3x6 subway. First, is mix of creams and grays, second is off white from the granite background, third is light gray which emphasizes the black in the granite.

  • 4 years ago

    Please take “dated” comments with a grain of salt. Glass tiles are very appropriate backsplash material for coastal and lake areas, for example.

  • 4 years ago

    Love the first pic especially. Thanks for showing a similar granite. So helpful!

  • 4 years ago

    We had glass in our last house, and we constantly got compliments on it. I recently put glass in our bathroom, and my only regret is that we got glass tiles with waves, which definitely isn't as pretty as straight glass because of the grout. I'd go for something light, like a white or light gray color. I agree that you should stick with smaller tiles.

  • 4 years ago

    From the color or your cabinets, consider changing to black knobs. For some reason the silver doesn't appeal to me on that pretty cabinet color.

  • 4 years ago

    You could do a solid sheet mirrored backsplash or a sheet of stainless steel behind the cooktop.

  • 4 years ago

    I think the “dated” comment about glass tiles might refer to the thin, multi-colored tiles that creat a busy look. Subway glass tiles in most colors are still a great backsplash option. But installation requires the right professional who knows how to do them properly. And they will look slightly different when installed.

    I like what @marylut showed as options here.

  • 4 years ago

    if you really want glass then look at all the ways.. i prefer the white subway approach but with the slab cherry doors leaning modern, presumably...here's a new approach w glass. gorgeous blue color could be a great option....vibrant but soothing at the same time. bring in colored glass samples and see .

    Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · More Info


    Cherry cabinets with slab doors, a custom-mixed stain, Bianco Antico granite and · More Info