Software
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_stiens

Missing something....

13 years ago
So we love the house we built, with some adjustments to the front entrance, we realized now we have this space above the garage and don't know what to do with it. Any thoughts or ideas?

Comments (24)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The window above the garage is too skinny, perhaps adding some shutters would help.
  • 13 years ago
    Oops, that's not the most current picture, we have added shutters. But the area I'm referring too is the area right about the garage door to the lower roof line.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You could add a small window above the Garage doors similar to this below.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm thinking because our garage doesn't peak, would wonder if the window would fit in right. Also, here is an updated pic with the shutters.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    In addition to what Indianpatti suggested, you could add metal awnings in copper. They would be a beautiful focal point. We added one to a client's home that we are currently building above their garage doors and it is spectacular.

    Here (and below) are some other pictures of metal awnings: https://www.houzz.com/photos/metal-awning-phbr0lbl-bl~l_40031
    Amanda Stiens thanked B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Thank you to the both of you. That is a great suggestion. Also, B.L. Rieke, love a couple of homes you have posted on here. Gorgeous, Craftsman style homes! I'll show my husband your ideas, but thank you again Indianpatti and B.L. Rieke!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think both ideas would look great!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Windows on the garage doors would add character or even a different color for the garage doors would help too. I think the color being the same or so close to the other color makes it looks more like a solid wall all the same color. If you do nothing but paint the doors a different color I think that could help. But I think windows would give it more flair and personality! :)
    Amanda Stiens thanked Andee Photography Fine Art And Digital Design
  • 13 years ago
    I agree the garage doors could be different either in color or windows added. My husband, however, doesn't want to add windows due to security issues. He is afraid of people being able to see in the garage. But making the doors a different color possibly, gel coating them like the front door, or more carriage style, just have to convince him! ;-).
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You can tint the window to where they could not see in. And now they add the windows to the top and they can not see in unless the house across the way sits taller. When I added a new garage door I wanted windows for the light. And because of security they are up higher than the older garage windows use to be. but you can add tinting or a frosted glass or cover to keep the views out. and yet have the decoration of the windows...Just another way around the window peepers,
  • 13 years ago
    I LOVE THE WOOD AWNING IDEA THAT IS THE BEST.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Thank you for the compliment, Amanda! And you're very welcome.

    Andee makes a great point about the color of the garage doors. The garage doors do fade against the exterior color. I think that if you color match your front door, and use that color to paint your garage doors, they would pop and would add some dimension to your home!

    Adding tinted windows are a good idea, as well, but that would require a much bigger investment since you would probably have to buy new doors or commission someone to alter your current ones.
  • 13 years ago
    We may have to go that direction, am trying to find out if HOA will allow 1. The metal roof, 2. The wood pergola covering. The hubby wasn't sure of the wood pergola, I'm wondering if there is a different design or two I could find.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Houzz and Pinterest are both great photo search engines for interior and exterior design. Do some research and compile the designs you like, then show your hubby. That way, he can only pick ones that you already like!
    Amanda Stiens thanked B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
  • 13 years ago
    You could put your address numbers there maybe spelled out in words or in larger numbers.
  • 13 years ago
    I think I would paint the garage doors to match the house door and shutters...
  • 13 years ago
    I was going to suggest what indianpatti did, the pergola over the garage doors. it would be lovely with a vine and flowers and would soften the large space that the garage takes up in the front.
  • 13 years ago
    Also love the pergola idea and I think you need to mimic the brown framework above your front door. I think you could simply hire a trim carpenter to pull this off.
  • 13 years ago
    I'm thinking the brown pergola would be good too, I found something similar, I'll post a pic. Luckily,I have a pretty handy hubby (yeah me!).
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    pergola over the garage to look like this
    leave the doors painted the house body color

    Eclectic Garage And Shed by Seattle Architects & Designers Dan Nelson, Designs Northwest Architects
    Amanda Stiens thanked Shendel Designs
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Amanda, you have a beautiful home. I have to agree with you that it is missing something; if it were my home, I would change the window above the garage to a squarer window - the shutters are optional. The skinny window with the wide molding just doesn't seem to flow with the house. Another thing I would consider would be to have the stonework (on the garage) brought up to the same level as on the left side of the house - this would then carry across the top of the garage. Your house is large - so in order to have that come across - I would do these things: move the small tree over to the left (between the posts) get larger and bulkier light fixtures, place the house numbers somewhere else or on a larger board, open the entry stair and walkway and have it go from post to post. Include a larger, oversized, walkway. Lastly, I think I would consider painting the garage doors white, typically that makes them disappear, and would let the attention remain on the left side of your home - which is very pretty.
    Amanda Stiens thanked cathyjoco
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Cathy for the suggestions. Definitely some good ideas to consider. Just a couple of thoughts, on the stonework, on the front of the house our stone work goes to just under our front window. The stone that goes high, is just on our columns. I would like different light fixtures, our house was just built in Nov of 2011 so our lighting budget went over as it was. We'll probably look in a couple of years or wait till we see just what we want. Unfortunately, I don't think painting the garage doors white will match the house very well being we don't have any white on our house. But I do think we might need a different color. On the walkway, we did a stamped concrete walkway and fron and back patio, so if you are familiar with how expensive it is to do that, we didn't want to go much bigger than we already did. I'll post some pics so you can see a better view of the front porch. Thank you for your suggestions though, trying to focus on the garage right now, :-)
  • 13 years ago
    .