Software
Houzz Logo Print
lucykr

Redecorating my bathroom

4 years ago

Good Evening to everybody!

I am trying to improve the look of my bathroom and would appreciate your ideas!!! I got advice to replace old beige shower curtain to white, and I did, but it does not look right yet...

Thank you!




Comments (33)

  • 4 years ago

    Looks lovely. I would turn the light fixture so the light shines down, not up at the ceiling.

    lucykr thanked Angel 18432
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I'd remove the big vase - looks too large scale-wise, and takes up too much valuable, limited counter space. Also put a bath rug in front of the vanity - white would work, or multi-colored.


    Maybe replace the light with something a little simpler, lighter/less heavy.


    It's a nice bathroom.

    lucykr thanked Carrie B
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Thank you, Carrie! I tried to remove that vase, but then I walk in and nothing interesting to look at... Any ideas about anything to add interest? I will remove the vase. I can replace mirror and light, but cannot figure out which light fixture. Any ideas are very welcome. Will get a rug. Thank you!

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Angel, thank you! Any suggestions about which light fixture be looking good in here?

  • 4 years ago
    • will remove vase
    • add rug
    • change lighting fixture (any suggestions, please?)
    • need to change mirrow as well because it is rusted. Any suggestions about the mirrows shape and frame?

    Should I keep the white curtain? May be a little havier curtain?


  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    The mosaic is interesting enough, and if you put in a mirror and lights you like, that's great. You don't need anything on the counter that isn't useful. :-)


    Do a search on Houzz for Vanity Mirror Lights or similar and save the ones you like. You'll get a sense of your own taste from looking at them. Here are my two bathrooms:


    Hall bath:


    Master bath:



    lucykr thanked Carrie B
  • 4 years ago

    Nice bathrooms! Thank you, Carrie, for advice. Will look next for light and mirror.

  • 4 years ago

    This Aqua-Fold door can pivot in and out of the shower and fold. At Lowe's.


    lucykr thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 4 years ago

    jackowskib That is an interesting! Thank you so much. I feel that mosaic "needs help" to be a focal point and it bothers me that nothing "playing nice" with mosaic in this room. I think thats why I had this vase in there to relate to mosaic at least by color. The longer height will be better!

  • 4 years ago

    I don’t think the white shower curtain works. I would play up the green from the mosaics. Maybe pull in the tan wall color too.

    I usually agree with Carrie, but I’m not a fan of white mats, unless you want to change it very often.

    lucykr thanked eld6161
  • 4 years ago

    It sounds like you’re getting advice to move the vase, but understand you still want interest. How about after removing the vase, you could add 2 floating shelves above the toilet? Might need help drilling through tile.

    lucykr thanked mmc429
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I have removed the vase already :) I was thinking about shelves... What would you place on those shelves that looks good with mosaic? Something with low green artificial grass?

  • 4 years ago

    Less is more. Agree with Carrie B…nothing on counter that is not useful.

    lucykr thanked mamamocha
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    How bold are you willing to go? When I first looked, I thought "That mosaic needs a bold paint color to show it off." I can't photoshop, but if I could, I'd pick a color from the mosaic (on my monitor it looks like it has a lot of dark green in it), and paint the walls dark.


    The white shower curtain would look great with it, as would your floor.
    eta: oh, wait, I didn't see that it may be all tiled :-( Well, maybe a dark green shower curtain? edited again: If that is all tile, maybe a green shower curtain, a green framed mirror and/or paint the vanity dark green?

    lucykr thanked olychick
  • 4 years ago

    If green appeals to you, maybe a mirror like this? You might have to find a white one or unpainted one and paint it yourself.


    lucykr thanked olychick
  • 4 years ago

    olychick yes! I love this photo and this bold! Our another bathroom is bright persimonn :) What makes it complicated for me is a lot of beige tiles, which we cannot replace just yet. The rest of the walls are cement and tan color added to cement mix. I can paint those walls green, but I cannot visualize how it will look together with so much tan walls. Let me think about this for few days and I will try to do a photoshop! I will try dark green curtain too! I love so much to see something exciting as I walk in. Thank you so much for your ideas!

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    It might look better to leave all the walls the same color as the tile and go bold with accessories like the shower curtain and mirror, maybe the vanity itself? Or paint the baskets? Since you can photoshop, you'll be able to decide.

    lucykr thanked olychick
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I do not really have tools for photoshop, but I can try in MS Paint. I just ordered dark green curtain. Have to wait few days until I get it. Painting vanity dark green is a great idea! When I get curtains, will try to photoshop with mirror and vanity and the baskets. What do you think if the light fixture above the mirrow is different from faucet?

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    It could be different, but you have so much going on there, I'd probably try to match the faucet, but maybe select something that doesn't have a lot of metal showing. Maybe something that is part black and part another finish if you don't really want to go black:


    lucykr thanked olychick
  • 4 years ago

    Thank you! I will post my "photoshop" and final result when I am done! :)

  • 4 years ago

    It looks like the wall across from the vanity does not have artwork. Maybe add artwork above the towel bar.

    lucykr thanked shirlpp
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    shirlpp I tried a few art peices, but it looked out of style :(, so I removed it and gave up. Any suggestions?

  • 4 years ago

    Am I looking for a light fixture in a correct direction? Thank you!!!



  • 4 years ago

    I wouldn't do all silver (chrome or nickel) or all brass. Sometimes you can mix metals but I don't think that works in your space with the black faucet. If you want to go away from black in the light, try to find your preferred metal combined with black like in the one I posted.
    Decide on mirror shape, then pick a light fixture. You may not want a very linear light with a round mirror or a curved light with a square mirror and although those can work, it's trickier. Like, I wouldn't use that one of multiple black squares with a round mirror, but the rest of them might work. I really like the size of the round mirror that you're using now. So, think about what light shape would work with the mirror. You have to be sure the lights don't hang down too low over the frame of the mirror. Do you also have a ceiling light, or is the vanity light the only light in the room?

    lucykr thanked olychick
  • 4 years ago

    I like the vase a lot and would definitely keep it! I think you just need to play with getting the shower curtain right. Your original one had a more luxurious look.

    lucykr thanked Holly Johnson
  • 4 years ago

    I would wait on getting mats, towels, etc until main room colors are finished. Love my white mats but need to wash regularly.

    lucykr thanked bearbev
  • 4 years ago

    Consider a glass shelf to mount above horizontal mosaic above toilet. Vase can go there with another decorative item.

  • 4 years ago

    @lucykr, Can you take a pic of the wall. I can only see it through the mirror. Maybe take a pic from the entry door.

    lucykr thanked shirlpp
  • 4 years ago

    Here what I have now, after rem0ving the vase and changing to white curtain.

    Glass shelf might be dangerous as my cats will walk it :).



  • 4 years ago

    Haley Johnson

    Haley! I hear you! That curtain was more luxurious indeed, and that vase was my original "design". I will try to find another white/ off white more luxurious curtain! I will try the suggestions given to me hear! Thank you very much!

  • 4 years ago

    I would consider a different mirror. Something rectangular with a thin black frame. Then choose new lights that have black metal as well. If you can photoshop dark green walls, definitely do that! I agree it would make this room so much more interesting.
    As for the original question, I don’t think the white curtain works. I love the folding door idea from Lowes that @decoenthusiaste posted. Much better for a small bathroom.

    lucykr thanked RedRyder
  • 4 years ago

    I would get another beige shower curtain…the white is too bright and clashes with the slight off-white of the sink and toilet. A beige shower curtain will fade away into the wall tile rather than ‘pop out’. You don’t need to decorate the sink area…you need space for your soap dispenser and lotion bottle. A woven grass cover for a cube tissue box on the toilet tank lid would be useful. I’d remove the vase completely. Add a washable bathroom rug in front of the sink (a green color from your accent tile). Make sure it doesn’t interfere with the door swing movement.

    lucykr thanked felizlady