Software
Houzz Logo Print
kmax123

Want to open archway - is this job more complex than I think?

4 years ago

1902 house with plaster. Archway was always a cool feature, but it's starting to show obvious signs off settling/separating (see pic 1 ....not sure what's causing it tbh) and we can see that it wasn't an original feature, as we can visibly see the original framing. I'd like to open it up a bit to get rid of the unsightly cracking and make the space a bit more open.


Trying to understand the complexity and involvement. I'm pretty unfamiliar with this type of this, so pardon my naivety. I'd imagine we would use sheetrock or framing wood to "seal" it back up. I guess it depends on what we find underneath. One concern is that it appears to still have rounded angles, so I'm not exactly sure how we would address that. The other concern would be the surround plaster crumbling.


Is there anything I may not be thinking of? Any tips or advice?


We're probably thinking of tackling this once baby gate is no longer needed :)


Thanks all!




Comments (4)