Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mersadies_watlington

Which cabinet hardware should I use?

Lady Watts
2 years ago

Hi, I'm getting new cabinets installed and I'm going to be doing the hardware myself. But I don't know what time lf hardware to use.. should it be handles, knobs or mix of both? And where would they go. I have lazy susan on the sides of my sinks.. any ideas?

Comments (10)

• Lady Watts
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Lorraine Leroux
    2 years ago

My kitchen is a bit similar to your and this is what I did.

• stiley
    2 years ago

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule, but the design firm we're using says "knobs on doors, pulls on drawers."

Here's a kitchen with cup pulls and knobs.

Here's one with pulls and knobs. I think in general, pulls placed on the raised part of the shaker cabinets looks a bit squished but a knob placed in the center would look weird and be awkward to use. The rental we're currently in has the knobs too far in and I notice it each time I use them.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I have simple Shaker styled kitchen cabinets and chose, Top Knob brand, brushed stainless steel hardware pulls for all cabinets and drawers. I am happy with my choice. Your choice of hardware on cabinetry is quite a personal choice; there are not any “rules”. Its like choosing jewelry pieces to wear with your outfit. Best of luck on your journey.

Lady Watts thanked kculbers
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I have no clue as to your style but I like pulls and I lke them to be in proprtion to the cabinet or drawer so often many different sizes and often hung some vertical and some hoizontal and FYI id you have never done this before IMO not a great started DIY project. I use painters tape to figure what looks best and for sure you should do that . This the look I like you need to also consider what will bump into what .

• A S
    2 years ago

I’m just finishing my remodel, shaker kitchen. My contractor told me pulls on drawers and knobs on cabinets too. I love the combo!

• Mom 2022
    2 years ago

Is cup pulls on drawers and regular pulls on cabinets not recommended?

I would need to pick the hardware soon and been struggling with the options and the length.
    Like the cup pulls for drawers and 5inch pulls for doors. Could not find any photos for this
    Combination though

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

My cabinet maker talked me out of cup pulls. She said that they are hard to grab if you are juggling a bunch of things while cooking and that they get very dirty and germy inside. No thanks!

I'm a big fan of knobs. I like pulls sometimes too but think they have gone on steroids in the last few years by making them super long. Think of proportion and the size of your kitchen. Visually, how much hardware will look too cluttered and how much will look just right.

• Lorraine Leroux
    2 years ago

As an added note I chose pulls only because we are aging in place and we are both arthritic so knobs were out when we made the decision to use pulls only.

• stiley
    2 years ago

@Mom 2022 look what I just came across on IG--cups + pulls (+ latches).