Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2nrussell2

Week 4 of March 2022

Nancy RW (zone 7)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

March 20 doesn't sound so late--but Week FOUR? I feel like a new person with warm temperatures--the change is dramatic--I'm simply full of joy--even with being so out of shape. I can tell that when I'm weeding. I hope it will be a productive week for all of you, too.

What will you be planting and working on? Jen--that's terrific to have Bruce nearby! I'm hoping to have 2 more beds cleared of weeds today so I can get beets and carrots in. It shouldn't really take long--they're the raised beds and the henbit and other weed are easy to pull.

Meanwhile, the yard is a mess, and that's okay. We "left the leaves," and I saw 3 yellow butterflies (too far away to identify), and 2 black swallowtails. This is the earliest I've seen swallowtails here. I believe it is a good idea to "leave the leaves." I noticed in my one raised flower bed that there is a 3x2 foot area of goldenrod springing up. What a thrill that is.

Happy Week 4 everyone. I hope for good weather and good gardening luck for all.

Comments (45)

• hwy20gardener
    2 years ago

It's definitely getting warmer out. Something I noticed this year is that the tree buds are about a week or two behind. Our forsythia has blooms way down near the base, and other shrubs are just starting new growth, but the redbuds are just not quite there yet.

Looks like we'll be seeding the carrot bed today. Got a yellow carrot and a purple carrot with our Danvers half long order, so we'll try those too. Enjoy the weather, y'all. Well, outside of the wind that is.

• jlhart76
    2 years ago

I potted up all my tomatoes today. Some were way too small, but that just means they'll have to be strong in order to survive. Went for a walk across the field. There's a bramble patch in the back & I'm trying to figure out if it's just thorn bushes or blackberries, raspberries, or wild roses. Still too early to tell. I need to mark them so Cliff won't mow them when he gets around to mowing back there. I also found some yarrow (I think) so I dug up some to bring back. I've tried growing it before but never had luck getting it established. Maybe this time I will.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

Jen, I can't wait to hear what you've got growing back there. I hope it's something good!

Is everyone getting rain? It's rained most of the day here at work. I hope we're getting some at home too. Also, maybe the carrot seed will get washed away.

And the giant cabbage "seedlings" need to go into the garden. Maybe tomorrow.

The broccoli is struggling a bit. It got bit by the cold temps last week even though it was double covered in the hoop house. It's now planted in the raised beds in the hoop house...and heat was the issue over the weekend. And wind. If the hoop is vented, the wind can get into the hoop. It's it's not vented well, it gets too hot. It's a thing for sure. A learning thing. I have an idea (if I ever get time) to make some low hoops out of wire to throw my shade cloth over them. Nothing over-the-top--just simple. They don't have to be fastened down and staked in an intense way because it's "indoors", just something that a cloth can be thrown over with a couple of clips holding it in place.

Back to work.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Tornadoes running amok in Texas. Too close for comfort. Lots of wind rain and hail.

• hwy20gardener
    2 years ago

Kingston had some pretty bad damage from the videos I saw. Yikes.

And the rain...it just keeps coming down. We covered the carrot bed early this morning, thank goodness. Rain like this will probably have little streams all over the garden tomorrow. Pretty small problems compared to the tornado damaged areas.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

We have been getting wind and rain, I have not been out to the garden to check, but I know that my wildlife garden will have erosion problems.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

I got at least an inch and a half of rain here. It's "funny", we could have gotten much more, but the storms would open up a hole when they got to Owasso. I'm glad we got what we did, but it delays planting longer.

Kim, I was wondering how close you were to the tornadoes.

Really nothing else to say, just thought I would post so you'd know I was here.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Amy glad you are here.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

I'm glad Amy is here too! Amy, tell us a story. About anything.

I'm just now watching the news and see the tornado damage. My uncle, aunt, and cousins lived in Kingston several years ago. They're up in the metro area now. Well, my uncle has passed, but the others are.

I saw where it went through Sherwood Shores and killed a woman. That's where my Great Grandma Ida lived. She died when I was small, but I remember much about the house, area, and her.

I don't have much to talk about either. Home today. Cleaning and organizing the extra bedroom that has the new-to-me armoire. Clearing stuff out. You know that saying, "if you have two coats, you have someone else's coat"? I'm trying to remember that as I clear stuff out. I'm no minimalist, but there's no reason to keep something just for the sake of keeping it and letting it rot, especially if someone else can be using it. For the most part.

That's what I'm telling myself.

Certainly not a good gardening day.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So busy here, Have any of you used any voice recognition programs that work really well? I'm trying to figure it out.

Lori and Bob came by yesterday to pick up plants and we had a lot of fun visiting with them. Hope we can get together for fishing this year--and with Larry and Eileen, too.

I am so tickled to be growing carrots and beets--makes my gardening year! I'm feeling lazy today, so we're going to go to a steak place in Muskogee today. And we'll stop by Lowe's and pick up more raised bed soil, maybe a few bedding plants, though honestly can't think of anything I need. I have six great native flower plants coming from Missouri Wildflowers Nursery, and more seeds coming from Pinetree, Baker Creek and SESE. Can't even remember what now. I'm sure I didn't need more seeds, but you know how that goes.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

It is not a gardening day here either.

We have company and we seem to be going a lot. The others have gone to town to do some shopping. I was invited to go, but I don't like to go with others, I cant hold up to walking like they can, and its not fun to me. I am completely happy to stay home and watch it rain. Madge always ask it there is something she can get me, I always sat " you might can bring me some seeds ", I seldom get any, and it I did I don't know where I would put them. I just sit here and read on the computer.

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

It snowed last night, and several times today. My grand kids slept in the tent anyway. One sleeping bag made the cut for cold weather sleeping... the other needs a liner, or a warmer bag.

I hope, spring weather shows up soon. I brought my bike with me.

Saw some flowering plum all budded out this afternoon.

The New Mexico weather is playing crazy too.

• Megan Huntley
    2 years ago

Like most of you, I was able to get out and enjoy the nice, but gusty, weather this weekend. I’m glad I did because the vitamin D did me some good. The two days in the sun gave me enough energy that I was able to drag myself up and walk the dogs before work on Monday. I’m a touch anemic lately and haven’t had that energy in a bit.

I’m finding that despite it being milder, this winter was harder on my perennials. One of my chores this weekend was cleaning out my micro prairie and trimming back the native grasses. I discovered that I lost probably about 40% of the plants there, assuming all my grasses come back which is yet to be seen. Also, I went to move my dahlia which survived in the ground last winter when temperatures were -26° and it has died. I know the dahlia shouldn’t survive at all in the ground in our winters but that contrast was pretty surprising.

The damage in the micro prairie isn’t a terrible loss. I’m not happy about it but I was planning to edit that bed anyway so mother nature helped me along a little bit there. As you would expect though, the plants that I lost were ones that I probably would have opted to keep and the thugish plants are the ones that survived. I was hemming and hawing over what exactly I wanted to accomplish with my editing so some of those decisions are now easier.

I had the sense to water the flowerbeds in front of the house so I’m hopeful the winter damage is less serious there. But I didn’t think that I would need to water my hearty native plants through the winter and I was definitely wrong.

I’m glad to hear others agree that we seem to be about 2 weeks off this year. I’m a bit (or a lot) of a “finger in the air” gardener. The record keeping aspect doesn’t happen much. I’m getting better but typing and spreadsheets and data are what I do 40+ hours a week. I garden to get away from all that.

Nancy, as far as voice to type options if you’re on an Apple device the native app within the keyboard works well. In fact it’s not even an app it’s just a function within the keyboard. I’ve also found that the more you use it the better it understands your voice and some of the commands you’re giving it. The trickiest part of voice to type is that you have to verbally say the punctuation that you’d like included. In fact, I am using the voice to type option on my phone right now to get this post ready. I’m using the Notes app on my phone and then like I said, the native microphone thats within my keyboard. If you’re an android user, I’m sure there are good options out there. If you’re on Reddit that would be a good place to ask. One last trick. I’m pretty sure this is something apple stole from android so it should work on both too. If you have handwritten notes, take a picture of them. When you have the picture open, there will be a box with horizontal lines in the lower right corner (maybe somewhere else on android). Tap that box and it will let you select/highlight the text and copy/paste it as type into something like notes, OneNote, Evernote, etc.

Nancy RW (zone 7) thanked Megan Huntley
  • Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Amy love that. Kids are so funny. Today I asked my granddaughter why she had on pull up where is your panties. She said I can’t tell you. What a goose. Gardening…………it’s freezing cold here. Tomorrow warming I may go out and sleep in sun but my serious plan is to sleep all day and stay warm. My new job is not agreeing with me at all.

• Megan Huntley
    2 years ago

Amy, if it can read my chicken scratch, I assume it will read cursive. I cannot speak definitively though. My writing cannot be classified as either print or cursive. It’s a mix.

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

It snowed more in ABQ.

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

I didn't know that about taking the pic and sending it to the apps. But are you saying it will turn the writing into typewritten text? I'm going to have to read up on that. Thanks so much for all the time you took to respond, Megan . I just don't think the voice to text on the Iphone, Ipad or Mac will work. Sort of a specialized kind of dictation with a specialized jargon. And I was looking at options for a fellow about my age who has only ever used dictaphone recorders and turned the microcasettes over to transcribers. My son said since that's what he was used to, why not just go with that. I guess maybe he's right.

Meanwhile, I had gotten a Rocketbook a month or so ago--I am just so excited about them. Same sort of deal as taking picture of notes and moving to OneNote or Evernote. (Only one uses the pages of the 32-page notebook over and over and over. It's apparently a big hit with students--think of all the trees we can save!)

Brrrrr. Only bedding plants I picked up were parsley and cilantro. GDW mowed down all my cilantro 2-3 months ago; and the freezes may have killed all the parsley. So got those at Lowe's just in case.

I am so excited that I have 5 little bitty celery plants that have sprouted. Well, we all know that doesnt mean anything. Still--it's a start, right? I haven't had to pot up tomatoes yet. . . maybe in the next few days.

Euonymus americanus (strawberry bush), fringe trees, and blackhaw look great--and Garry got four bushes dug out from the front yard, so there will be room for them. Maybe. Fringe tree and blackhaw might be too tall. I'll have to work on that.

I am just beside myself with the prospect of carrots and beets. I'm going to plant them every 10 days or so for the next 3-4 weeks. Hwy20 do you always grow carrots? Do you have good luck with them? Well the ones I planted 2-3 weeks ago germinated and look great. Little buggers, still. I don't have problems with "crusting soil," but just had to remember to keep cardboard on top and keep it watered every day.

I appreciated reading the cool season crop tips, Rick. I SEEM to be on good track this yeara. . . but time will tell.

Kim--missed the news about your new job! Congrats--hope it works out for you.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Nancy, I have had problems with crusting soil also. I have tried drawing a line in the soil with a hoe handle, dropping in the seeds, then sprinkling about 1/8" of potting soil on top. I can see better where the seeds are planted, and it seems as though the seeds break through the potting soil better. As my soil gets more amended I have less problems with germination.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Larry that’s what I do too. Someone here probably you taught me that and it works perfectly.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Nancy the job is not working out at all. 6 days and I am done. It was a learning experience.

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

I did similar to Larry. I used potting soil, some sand and some sawdust mixed together over the second sowing over the carrots. I hope they sprouted rather then washed away. My fingers are crossed.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh my gosh. What a dummy I am. Dictation on Microsoft word and Pages on the Mac. How cool! Thanks again, Megan. I think I have a solution for my friend.

My carrots are sown in the raised bed, so really good soil, anyway and no crusting. But I DID lightly cover them from a bag of raised bed soil; had I known how easy it would be, I would have begun planting them 8 yrs ago! The only trick for me is to remember to water them every day or even twice a day (they're covered with cardboard).

Kim, I'm sorry about the job. Hard to find a job we love, for most of us.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

In spring I just add a few radish seeds to the carrot row (or next to it). Radishes sprout quicker than carrots and break any crust that's forming. They are harvested long before carrots. This won't stop rain from washing seeds away however. In fall I lay wet burlap over the seeds and keep it damp. One time I planted and sprinkled vermiculite over the seeds. I think they were lettuce and Ron came and ran his fingers through the dirt. He didn't know I had planted there. This has hapened more than once.

What was the job Kim?

Oh, Kim, back when kids wore "training" pants, my son came into the house. I couldn't see anything but his head because he was blocked by the couch. When he came to where I could see him he was stark naked and poopy. I'm like where are your pants. "In the toilet at Brandon's house." So humiliating to retrieve his pants, though I don't think parents were there, just teenagers.

Houzz won't let me scroll up to see what else I wanted to talk about. Grrrr.

Nancy, I see you got a couple of shrubs I want. I think my American Strawberry Bush died. Don't let it dry out. What kind of blackhaw? I looked for those a long time.

Got a doctor's appointment this afternoon and then we're going to lunch.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

I just went out to check my south garden, only one with anything planted, I still cant see any sprouts. The weather is 48 and windy too cold for me to enjoy being out in it.

Our company just left to go back to Texas. I enjoyed seeing them, but too much activity for me. I have turned the center bedroom into a seed starting room, so, we were short one bed. I have slept in my recliner for 5 nights. I am ready to spend some time in my own bed.

With having the company here, and being on the go so much, my plants look very bad. I will try to work on them this afternoon, after I take a nap. I did not go to sleep this morning til a lifter 6 AM, and Madge came in and woke me a little after 7 AM because I had a Dr. appointment in Poteau at 8:30. I always enjoy going to Poteau because that means I drop by the Farmers Coop.

I keep dozing off with this computer in my lap. see you later.

• hwy20gardener
    2 years ago

Nancy, i've grown carrots for the past few years. Mainly I stick to Danvers half long, but always try out other types as well.

I've seeded them out into probably too deep furrows and let the rain pound them, and i've babied them by covering with 2x4's, ply or sheeting. Both methods, they sprout up right where I planted them. I've always spaced them tight; about 8-10 inches between rows. I continuously spread seed all the way down each furrow and thin later.

Preparing the bed, i'll sink a garden fork all over the bed and pull up about a foot to loosen things before furrowing/planting.

• hwy20gardener
    2 years ago

The pea seeds we planted about three weeks ago are sure taking their sweet time. We had some pop early, then a few more, probably about 10 of 300 or so have broken through. All I can say is that they had better hurry before the heat comes on.

No beet sprouts yet. And my trusty redbud tree clock is telling me it's still early March.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

I picked up more fertilizer, turnip seeds and broadleaf mustard seeds when I came back through Poteau today. There are not a lot of things I can grow in the winter, but I feel that I have done about all I can do as far as things to grow if the economy goes bad. One of the problems I have is that a lot of my family dont like a lot of the stuff that can be stored easily, or is easy to grow in cool weather. I have noticed that people's opinions change if they get really hungry.

I have not had a lot of luck with my beets. The ones I planted last fall were too small when winter hit. I noticed a few days ago that they were trying to put out again, I may be able to get some greens off of them later in spring.

My onions are still looking good, the walking onions I planted in the fall, and the bulbing onions I planted a few weeks ago.

I have sweet potato slips that I need to pot up, and more roots to get ready to make slips. I need to have several purple sweet potato slips ready for people who want to try them. I dont think the purple potatoes have as good of texture, but the make slips like crazy.

• hwy20gardener
    2 years ago

Hey slow, yeah i'd expect people will find a way to appreciate the greens & other things if food got a little scarce. Storing longer term is something we'd like to work on. We can and store as best we can, but by no means are experts on it.

Turnips is a good idea and something I completely forgot about this year. We may lay out a grid of those to get some greens before the summer veggies go in. Hard to beat a 30 day maturity.

Our onions are still in ground but look a little beaten up from the wind & rain. I'll probably treat them to some blood meal next week. Maybe that will get those tops reaching for the sky.

Of all the bounties we got last year, the sweet potatoes were probably the most surprising. It was our first time growing and we are still well stocked and eating on them. Excellent storage life, and massive production. Been wanting to try those purple ones.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

hwy20, if you will send me your address i will send you a couple if potatoes to sprout. They are a little picked over this late in the year, but they will make good slips anyway. What I often do is take the sprouting end off a sweet potato that my wife is using for a meal, plant about 20% of the sweet potato, and eat the other 80%.

I normally grow Covington sweet potatoes, but I got three of "new to me " sweet potatoes from George last year and I will be happy to share any of the 4 kinds I have.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

I potted up 20 purple sweet potato slips, and 10 Red Wine Velvet sweet potato slips. It is too early to put them in the garden, so I will put them in small 10 pack size containers ( about 12 to 16 oz ) and let them grow a few weeks. I have not started on the potatoes I had planned to use for slips. These potatoes are some I potter up last fall and kept them through the winter, just something I was playing with because I had such a hard time to get the Red Wine Velvet potatoes to make slips a year ago, they were even slow by having then in a pot all winter, but it looks like I will have purple sweet potato slips coming out my ears. I will place them on the light shelf where it is warmer, this should wake them up.

• jlhart76
    2 years ago

We had to get the truck tagged & Cliff wanted a haircut so I made him stop at tractor supply on the way. Their website said they had 2 dwarf cherry trees, but the sales clerk couldn't find them. But I did get 2 raspberries, a box of strawberries and 2 bags of onion bulbs. And I've discovered I need a LOT bigger garden lol. So this weekend I need to regroup & figure out what comes next. I may just dig out a bed along the shed, set up the bucket brigade, and figure out where to put another bed next year.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Jen, it sure is strange how gardens shrink? I have started many in my life, and they were all too small, until about July or August, then I start blaming Madge for making me plant so much, not really, but it is a running joke between us.

When I started reading your post I thought you were going to tell us that Cliff gets his haircuts at tractor supply. I wish that TSC did give haircuts, but the one here does not. I go with Madge to her beauty operator, sit down in the chair and just let her have her way with me. She always ask me how In want it cut, and then cuts it like Madge tells her to. I have a rough life.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Larry that does sound rough. I need someone to help me with decisions. I am tired of them. And I want someone to drive me. I used to love to drive but anymore I would rather someone else drove.

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

I was never good with decisions, Kim. But I muddled by--one decision I was VERY happy with was to remain single after some bad decisions. And I was so happily single for 30 years. I'm very happy to be with Garry now (my high school boyfriend) for the past 7 1/2 years, but I am still very independent. I'd rather do the driving! (But don't most of the time.) We both make decisions, depending on our strengths.

This poor fellow did NOT sign up for gardening, bless his heart--but he sure is a good sport. And he DOES care very much about certain aspects of it. And was I ever lucky in the Mr. Fixit department. On the other hand, he knows nothing about computers, so we have a partnership. He brings me the part, I look it up and order it or we go to the repair clinic.

I was in the middle of potting up tomatoes when I came across the lemon grass plants and decided I had to take one to the Whitehorn Marina and Boo, right then. So we ran down, handed plants to Boo, had a drink and ordered dinner from the Black Pearl. We hadn't been there in 2 months or so. Going to memorial services for dear Deb (one of the owners) on Sunday. Heartbreaking. Miss her so.

My peppers are WAY too big. Okay. I was smart in not starting the tomatoes but thinking that peppers grow more slowly, planted them week of March 1. They're already too big.

Tomorrow will be nice and warm, so I'll pot things up outside on the deck. Broccoli raab--how many of you have grown it? It's growing great. How do prepare it?

My sprout seeds and lids have arrived. And Garry loves sprouts! Yay! Tomorrow we'll start!

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

PS: Kim--I wish you would find someone to help with decisions and to drive!

Sprouts lids arrived and sprouts arrive, too, so I guess we'll start some sprouts today. And finally again, a warm day so I can up pot tomatoes today. Pot up. LOL Happy Saturday.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

I don't make many decisions, other than something out side. I tell people that I just live here, I am the gardener. If Madge wants something for the house I just tell her to get it and have it delivered. If we go out to eat, I just tell Madge to go where ever she wants, I can find something to eat at any of the joints. The best meals I eat are at home, I feel that if we go out to eat it should be Madge's choice because she works so hard at seeing that I eat well. and she needs a little time off.

• hwy20gardener
    2 years ago

We'd absolutely love to have some of those slips, slow. As soon as I can find out how to send a message, i'll send the address.

Walked aroumd the garden this morning and it is still pretty wet. Peas for the most part STILL haven't broken the surface. We check in one spot and the peas there had sprouted, but haven't broken through. Wife is getting a little worried. Beets aren't up yet either. Come on, plants...get on up!

Onions are beaten up a little from that last downpour and we may replace some of the ones that probably won't do much.

Bradfords have popped with blooms finally. My red bud is stilll lagging though. My local clock is showing mid-March, I guess.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Hwy20, I dont know anything about a computer, but some of the other forum members send me messages on facebook, I dont know how to do any of that, but I bet someone on here will pop in and tell us how. I feel like such an idiot, but my great grand kids can do things on a computer that I am not able to do.

I fixed a flat of Red Wine Velvet sweet potatoes, planning on them having slips by planting time. I cut the potatoes for today up ( some were small enough to place the whole potato in the potting soil ) and used the sprouting end for slips, the other end of the potato is in the kitchen cooking now. Madge will make pie filling out of them.

The only thing doing well in my garden is the henbit. The south garden is a little dry, I watered the onions. The ground was cracked, and I watered it till the cracks closed. The spot where the onions are planted is where the edge of the garden use to be, so the soil has not been amended like the older part of the garden. I have added a little to the south garden each of the past 3 years.

I went over to feed the neighbor's dogs, and on the way home I drove through the wildlife garden, it is still too wet, but we may have to work the higher spots and get something planted. In this valley I have to be concerned about run-off. Sometimes the run-off helps, most of the time it works against me because of erosion, plus keeping the soil too wet in the spring.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

Amy, thanks for the story! :D

I'm really far behind. I'm afraid I'll miss something.

I love the potting soil and carrots idea. I'm doing that next time.

Nancy, my peppers are still pretty small. They look healthy, though. So far.

I had an amazing day (other than a nagging headache. boo!). The weather was just lovely.

I did my normal routine of feeding all the critters, scooping the droppings boards, and opening the hoop house. Then found a new workout that is only 20 minutes. I like it a lot. Took all the trays of tomatoes to the hoop house.

Then, just did a few things around the house including making a grocery list and meal plan for next week. And shopping. Oh, and helped Tom with some meat that he smoked for a banquet tomorrow night.

Took Josi for a walk and then the fun began.

Finally pruned the chaste tree, weeded the little bed with the goji berry. It's still alive. And put some composted chicken droppings on that bed.

Used dormant oil for the first time on a couple of things. It was just so nice to be outside. I was alone and loved it. I even hid from neighbors walking by. Didn't feel like talking, just wanted to be alone in the gardens.

Here's happenings in the garden:

Onions--they look really good. Some of them have 4 leaves now. Have I mentioned that I only have long day varieties out there?! To me, storage is more important than giant onion bulbs. Most of my recipes call for a "small" or "medium" onion.

Cabbage--some of it is a little wilty but overall, it looks good. They are in several beds around the property.

Hoop house plants--The broccoli in the hoop house raised bed looked really good today. The older leaves that had frost damage don't look wonderful, but the new leaves look healthy. The tomatoes went to the hoop house today and they looked great this evening. I'm going to leave them overnight. Hoping for the best. It's not supposed to freeze or anything. One tray looks a little "off". Maybe it got a touch of sun scald or wind burn?

Turnips--The salad turnips are popping up! I didn't plant many, just a couple of 8 ft rows.

Ladybugs--I'm seeing lots of them around the property, especially in the Survivalists Garden. They're waiting on Rick's peas to pop up because they know things. They are very smart and know that peas are aphid magnets.

I'm still thinking a lot about the turnpike situation. Someone posted the aerial surveyor and his/her map today. I guess it's public information. The map is exactly along the future turnpike. Many people saw the plane. We were out shopping at the time. It is interesting that the planes map/course is public. People are really, really upset.

The white arrows continue to show up along the route.

But, I'm trying to not let it steal my joy right now. We are putting off doing some things to our property, but there are things we can continue to do. I don't think the turnpike is going to sit on our property at all, but the only way into our neighborhood is Indian Hills. IF the OTA feels like your property is needed for construction (even if it's not the exact site), OR in their way, they can take it. That's more my fear. We just don't know. So there's no use in fretting, but I will continue to have plans....Plan A, Plan B and so on...

It will affect us.

Goodness even the railroad repairs that have shut down a portion of IH this week, are a nightmare. All the detours.

Being prepared is a big things now-a-days, but storing up supplies is only one way of being prepared. Sometimes getting rid of things is a way to be prepared too. If you have to leave, you need to lighten the load of stuff. Have the important things organized and ready.

Tomorrow starts a new week. Looking forward to some gardening evenings. And maybe a bit of rain.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Jennifer you have been very busy. I hope the headache is gone by morning. I like your garden updates. It inspires me

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Hwy20, here are the purple slips I potted up yesterday, I have more, but if you had rather have slips than potatoes to make your own slips, I think that it may be best for me to keep the slips and let them form some roots before shipping. This is something new for me, before I would just send a couple of potatoes to have slips made from them, but I will do this anyway you want it. Last year I got 20+ slips from each purple potato.

• hwy20gardener
    2 years ago

Looking good, slow. And sorry, I said slips but we can make the slips ourselves. Probably should have said potatoes instead. We actually need to get going on some of our orange ones. I believe they are beuregard. If I can find a way to message, i'll do it. If I can't figure it out tough, don't worry about it.

Still a pea here, a couple the next day, and round and round we go. Hoping they all just pop out of the ground this week. Usually, the entire row would be up by now. Such a strange spring, things just seem weeks behind in this area.

Made a huge commitment by starting removal of landscape rock out of a big flower bed today. I think I mis-judged just how much rock was in there. Hopefully somebody can take it off my hands to find it all a new home. Also, amazing how hard getting lanscape cloth out of an established bed can be. We are worn out!

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Hwy20, I started some Red Wine Velvet sweet potatoes yesterday, they look to be waking up nicely. Most of these potatoes were just by cutting the sprouting end off, and a few pieces where I just place some peel on the potting soil, then placing the tray on a heating mat. Just in one days time, I noticed the slips starting to grow, if things go as I plan I can send you some of them, those may have to be shipped as slips because I am not sure I have any of those that will be good slip potatoes.

Look who came to see Papaw today. We butchered 2 pumpkins, and whipped 4 donkeys that were trying to eat Papaw.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting