Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fabnfun21

Awkward living room layout

Trista Taylor
2 years ago

Hi there Houzz! So my dilemma that I would love to fix, is minimizing my family room’s awkward layout. We have a longer than wide space, which is like 22’ by 20’ in dimension with a corner fireplace. I hate to have my sofa in the middle of the room, but that was our best option due to the wall dimensions.
So my question is what kind of entertainment table should I get???? It will replace the one pictured.
The new tv will be larger but will mount on the wall that it is currently and the ceiling fan will be updated once the brown ceiling is painted white. **The rug will be larger and the individual accent chair will be sleeker than the one pictured as well.
I am having a hard time with this space since I have limited wall space 🥴

Please help! Xo

Comments (5)

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

This is a challenging layout but I think you've done a great job and the ideas you have for the rest of the transformations are spot on. I like the light wood color of your counter stools and of the stand next to the sofa with the vase on it. I would look for a media console with that color wood.

Check out Crate and Barrel prarie and luke. (Luke has a big price tag but is a lovely look and perhaps you could shop around for something like it.)

• Sarah
    2 years ago

I also like the layout. Looks like you could use a narrow console table behind the sofa. Check out Blu Dot for one that’s only 11” deep and about 60” wide. I have one at the back of my sofa and it’s perfect!

• PRO
    Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
    last year

Since you have a corner fireplace, but you want to have the sofa face the TV/console area, we might suggest getting a long, low console for under the new TV. You also might try a sofa table behind the sofa, if seeing the back of it bothers you. Below are just a few of our designs we thought we would share that might help you with your space a little more.

California Ranch Transformation · More Info

New Build: Living Room · More Info

Casual Classic Remodel: Living Room · More Info

Charming Cottage: Living Room · More Info

• JT7abcz
    last year

Do you have a coffee table and if so, can you post a photo of it? Because the fireplace extends to the corner of the space, the media cabinet sticks out in front of it and crowds the chair view to both the fireplace and TV which may be the reason you want a new chair. I wonder if it would feel roomier inside the seating area to forgo a media cabinet once the TV is wall mounted. You could then scoot the sofa toward the TV a bit and get it out of the walkway, and fit a sofa table behind it. The new chair can be placed closer to the sofa or the one you have may now fit better without a media cabinet in the space.

• Denise Marchand
    last year

Here's a plan for you to consider. Since the room is asymmetrical, don't fight it. Angle the furniture at a 45 degree angle with a large coffee table 42 x 42. Keep the 9 x 12 rug perpendicular to the wall.

The TV wall is important to have some sort of horizontal plane so that your focus is not jumping all around the room. Keep the top of the TV below the height of the fireplace mantle. Besides looking visually pleasing, it will be much more comfortable for watching. When you get a cabinet under the TV make sure it is low to the ground.

Consider painting the lower half only of the TV wall a color (paint from the mantle height down to the floor).

Keep the top of the TV aligned with the top of the mantle V V V

Even if you do something like this V V V keep the top of the TV even with the top of the mantle. V V V

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm