Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daimeun

Update/Questions About My Lemon Tree.

daimeun
2 years ago

I posted a few days ago about my Eureka lemon tree after it suddenly developing brown venial chlorosis and brown-ish stems. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6252529/eureka-lemon-sudden-midrib-browning#n=2 

Since then things have progressively gotten worse. I am thinking either my last fertilization burnt it or the recent abundance of rain / myself learning when to water caused root rot. The branches have became a lot more limp since it started 3 days ago.

When I repotted the tree into 511 mix 2 and a half weeks ago I left a bit of the original soil on the roots and while I don't know how accurate it is, I used a moister meter 3 days ago on the center of the root ball and it registered at a 8/10 and today it is at a 6/10. This seems a bit concerning to me as I last watered it 6 days ago after it possibly getting watered too soon in retrospect to the weather. On the outer ring of the pot it is quite a bit drier which I am thinking has to do with the 511 mix/ being closer to the outside of the pot.

My question is do you think I should repot it or wait for it to completely dry out? Or another suggestion completely? I am open to any suggestions to save it! Our other citrus tree, a satsuma mandarin had a ton of fruit ripening on it and a racoon took every single leaf/branch off of it over night so I am trying my best to keep this lemon tree alive.

Comments (8)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    2 years ago

I would leave it alone and let it dry out. I water around the periphery of the pot to keep the center root ball drier. I have also used a vacuum chamber to suck air trough the root ball/pot in a pinch.

daimeun thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • daimeun
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I ended up taking it out of the 7 gallon pot and put it back in a 3 gallon (what it came from the nursery in) The roots looked fine so I am a bit more inclined to think that I burnt it. I made some more 511 mix but made sure that all the bark was under 1/2 inch (smallest sifter I have on hand). I also used 1.5 parts perlite instead of 1 and used 1/4 part worm casting and 3/4 part peat moss because I want to just give it water for a bit to try to get it to recover but still want some nutrition in the soil.

When I used the liquid fertilizer on it before I first watered it with normal water then gave it a half gallon of fertilized water but I did not water it in after so I am thinking it was too concentrated on the roots. Now I know to water it in afterwards.

It is still looking pretty rough and I am sure all of those leaves are going to die off as their stems where the first part to die. I am hoping the branches themselves don't die back too much but they have all changed from green to a brownish color.

Do you think that it has a chance if I give it just water for a few weeks? I guess I can play it by ear, debating on pulling the leaves off.

This sucks pretty bad but I will not give up!

• daimeun
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I am definitely waiting to give it more fertilizer and I made sure to let it dry for a day in the new pot (besides the water in the peat moss I mixed in) I then watered it super well to get the excess salts off of the roots.

In a few weeks time when I do start adding fertilizer back I am definitely going to start light but I am curious about how much fertilized water I need to add. For example the foliage-pro says 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water, but I have seen people use 1 to 1 1/2 for citrus. I have not seen an explanation on the amount of fertilized water a plant should get, is a half gallon too much for this 3 gallon pot or is it fine as long as I water it in afterwards and use the correct ratios?

• Ken B Zone 7
    2 years ago

The amount of water you give it doesn't matter, only the amount of fertilizer that's in the water.

• jane__ny
    2 years ago

Are you in Florida? Why not put it in the ground?

Mine are in the ground, pure sand. I really don't water them at all as I don't have sprinklers. I put granular fertilizer down about once a year.

I get tons of fruit.

We have not had rain in months and don't expect any until June. I also have an orange tree that I also neglect but it puts out loads of fruit.

Maybe mimic the way they grow in the ground? Sand, dry, lots of sun.

Jane

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    2 years ago

I wish I could. Zone 6b solid peanut butter clay with some light blue.

• daimeun
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes I am in North Florida. The repotting unfortunately did not work, still pretty shocked by how fast and the extent of the fertilizer burn. I ended up taking the dead branches off but after a week the plant started getting mold spots on the bark, black and reddish orange. Now I am in the process of saving my orange tree which racoons decided to obliterate which lead to extreme dieback.