Software
Houzz Logo Print
theotherjaye

Install ledger stone tile vertically?

4 years ago

We are thinking of using this tile on our fireplace wall (whole wall protrudes 6” into the room.) My husband absolutely loves it, and I like the novelty of it having several different finishes, although it’s a bit sparkly for my taste while simultaneously being a bit bland/boring. I currently have a sample propped up vertically and am liking it quite a bit. Woud it be weird to install ledger stone vertically? I realize it would no longer be ”stacked”.

Comments (12)

  • PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    No picture posted


    Corners are likely only available horizontally.

  • 4 years ago

    Pic is at the link. You’re correct. The corners are only available horizotally, but our builder’s tile guy can apparently miter the regular tiles for DIY corners.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Whats the style of your home? We thought about that stone ( was it the white sparkly version?) for a minute, but the idea of dusting that stone wasnt appealing to me. We ended up with a large format tile with a subtle fabric look to it. Super easy to dust lol.

    Like this?

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    @M Riz, exactly like that. We are looking at the multi-finish Alaska Grey version - the white was too stark. Our house is mid-century, mostly. Our last house was circa 1969, and we had no furniture when we moved in, so a lot of our existing stuff is tailored to that.


    Is that tile truly a PITA to dust? We have cleaners, but I don’t want to torture them!

  • 4 years ago

    Its easy for someone else to clean lol, We built a home that supports aging in place (I dont want to move again) so I tried to keep things easier to clean, right down to my skirted toilets. I think that those stones vertically will fit in with your mcm with an extra boost of m. I do like the texture and interest that the stone adds to the fireplace. It will add your touch of originality to your home. I think it will look beautiful.

    theotherjaye thanked M Riz
  • 4 years ago

    Thank you, M Riz. This is our ”forever” house, so we have mostly gravitated to stuff that’s easy to clean (hello, one piece toilets), but I’m a design fiend and my husband is a happy enabler of that, and he happens to love this one look.


    (He so rarely expresses an opinion that I’m inclined to take his preference fairly seriously when he has one)

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Are you 100% sold on the tile selection? This kind of small busy tile has been trending out for awhile. If you love it of course use it.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    IMO ledgerstone was never a good choice inside and now just dated and for sure a PITA to clean. Maybe give us a bit more info before marching ahead with this choice .

  • 4 years ago

    ^^Agree with @HALLETT & Co.

  • 4 years ago

    @Patricia Colwell Consulting and @HALLETT & Co., I generally agree with you - my first choice is a textured white ceramic. That said, my husband rarely ever expresses a preference on anything design related and has been so incredibly deferential to my taste in this whole process that I’m disinclined to be too fussy on this. He literally spotted this stuff (in white) from across the room.. We won’t make any decisions until all of the samples are in.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    That pic posted by M Riz is giving me stress. It might be straight, or it might not. It's going to be a giant PITA to keep clean LONG TERM and frankly - it just looks wrong.

    Try to help him find something else. Like really - anything else...

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Ugh Her husband likes it, and that is what matters to her. She wants him to have something he picked in their home. My husband asked very little in the area of decor in my home. He wanted chairs that I wouldnt pick but sometimes you just make it work, and sometimes someone elses happiness is most important. The good news is that you will probably never have to see her fireplace or even have to think about it in 10 seconds from now. Compromise leads to a happy married life. Maybe he will change his mind, but if not, it ties into her MCM home.

    theotherjaye thanked M Riz