Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splaker

Too big? Should I select a smaller shrub?

splaker
last year

Would a Firelight Hydrangea overpower this site? It will be planted in the middle of that new bed. This is looking out from my front entrance. Wife says it too large for the site...

Comments (34)

• Christopher CNC
    last year
    last modified: last year

That sliver of a bed next to the front walk is far too small for a hydrangea that size. You have ample room in the yard for the hydrangea, just not in that sized bed.

splaker thanked Christopher CNC
  • KW PNW Z8
    last year

I agree with @Christopher CNC . Firelight is 8’ x 8’ & even Little Firelight at 5’ x 5’ is too big. Bobo is a small white paniculata hydrangea which might work at 3’ x 4’. Can you widen the bed?

splaker thanked KW PNW Z8
  • splaker
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, I can widen it... It is about 3' right now. I can push it out more and even more to the right... should I think about expanding it to where the rake is?

• splaker
    Original Author
    last year

otherwise I can use smaller shrubs and perennials

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@splaker - another thought - Do you want a really large deciduous shrub in your front yard, front and center? A tree is one thing but a huge shrub with no leaves all wiinter & having no other great qualities like interesting bark or branch structure etc is not something I’d want blocking my view to street or being the big thing passers by see.. If you live in a winter wonderland then maybe ok…

• splaker
    Original Author
    last year

KW, What would you add?

• splaker
    Original Author
    last year

i have some small evergreens... blue stars, mr bowling ball

• splaker
    Original Author
    last year

connical yew?

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

So many choices! Can’t suggest anything without a lot more information - climate zone & location for one. Then, picture of front of house with detail on existing landscaping and knowing what kind of overall look and maintenance needs you want. It’s best to have an overall landscape plan and layout rather than a plant by plant approach. Is this an existing landscape you are filling in or just updating? In general, for front yard & especially around front entry, I like a backbone of evergreens / non deciduous plants to form a nice framework for year round filled in look. I like to fill in with shrubs or shrublets that either bloom or are colorful in leaf to provide color & seasonal interest. Your plants you list aren’t familiar to me by name but Mr Bowling ball, if aptly named, sounds like a candidate for center spot in your existing 3’ bed. Conical Yew would be at side or corner of a bed. Draw out your plan before digging holes & pay close attention to recommended planting spacing or you’ll have an overgrown blob of plants in 3 years! I am in the PNW Planting zone 8. & so because of our abundant rain, & temperate winters I add a foot in height & width to what the plant tag lists!

• splaker
    Original Author
    last year

I'll post a pic later today..thanks!

• cecily 7A
    last year

I like the open, spacious feel of your yard. The view across the neighborhood is attractive - there's nothing I'd want to screen out. I'd use shorter plants in that bed.

splaker thanked cecily 7A
  • splaker
    Original Author
    last year

So here is my front yard. The largish tree on the left in some of the pics is an Norway maple. It's declining and I may have to remove it. We've had successive waves of gypsy moth invasions the last couple of years and it was hit hard. Living in Canada, not much of anything is blooming as you can see! In the bed next to the big window (and basement window) on the left side of the home, I planted a red dragon Japanese maple. There is also a dwarf concolor fir and a fothergilla. In the new bed that lines the walkway, I have planted a blue fescue and a purple sedum. You can barely see them as they are small. I think the idea of planting low smallish shrubs is the way to go. But i do have a zebra miscanthus in the backyard that I'd like to add to the new bed. Maybe at the end of that new bed?

• splaker
    Original Author
    last year

More...

• splaker
    Original Author
    last year

What about adding the zebra grass here?

• splaker
    Original Author
    last year

And I am open to the idea of expanding the new bed - wider and longer.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

I would :-) At least double the width (5-6' minimum) and extend the full length of the walkway. The proportions are off as it stands now.

• splaker
    Original Author
    last year

Or I could plant the zebra here:

• splaker
    Original Author
    last year

@GG, the only thing about extending all the way to the post is that guest go to our backyard along that walkway to our pool following the bed. I could add some flagstones to make a small path.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

If that is an access to the pool area that is used routinely, then it should have a defined path. This was a concept that was drilled into us by my landscape design instructor :-)

• splaker
    Original Author
    last year

Ok, thanks for that tip. Not sure I have enough flagstones to make that path this year or the energy. Maybe save that for another day?

I could extend the new bed a few feet and make it wider as suggested. Is this an appropriate space (the bed I mean) to plunk down at tall grass like a zebra?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

"Is this an appropriate space (the bed I mean) to plunk down at tall grass like a zebra?"

As long as it is not placed directly in front of the entry, I have no issues with it :-)

splaker thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • splaker
    Original Author
    last year

@KW "It’s best to have an overall landscape plan and layout rather than a plant by plant approach. Is this an existing landscape you are filling in or just updating?" - I am overhauling I suppose... I have been since moving in. I am Z5 Southern Canada (climate is similar to Western NY or middle Michigan.. ) I am going to expand this new bed and plant just smallish shrubs/plants of varying textures, colors.. Advice so far has made a lot of sense! On the left side of the property (opposite side of the driveway), that Norway maple may have to come down as I've mentioned as it is sick. Never cared for it to begin with as they are invasive up here, taking over our sugar maple forests... and offers zero color in the fall. In its place, I am intending to plant an Emperor I Japanese maple. I am going to plant it soon and place it between the corner of the home halfway out to the Norway (basically where my neighbor's Ford pickup is parked). As they don't grow very large, I may eventually plant another small tree, perhaps a service berry or a green leaf japanese maple somewhere just beyond that Norway. This would create a some screening effect on that side of the house but not overwhelm the lot with big trees.. Does that make sense?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    last year

Whatever you plant in front of an entry should remain low. You don’t want to hide the entrance or create a situation where there is a safety issue or where guests feel crowded or need to dodge plant foliage. I would be more likely to plant a large shrub like Firelight diagonally off the left corner of the house of in the backyard where you can see and enjoy it in warm weather.

• splaker
    Original Author
    last year

Good point! I am intending to plant the Japanese Maple off that corner, but your suggestion makes sense... I could plant an impactful hydrangea (like a Firelight) off that left corner as you suggest (but out several feet as I have a semi-dwarf growing off the corner). Then I could plant the JM closer to where the Norway maple currently stands.

• splaker
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much. I love landscaping but I have a lot to learn. I am quite proud of my backyard and I should post a pic of what I've done back there. My front yard has been a work in progress.

• splaker
    Original Author
    last year

Here are some pics of the backyard... this was a labor of love...

• splaker
    Original Author
    last year

I've actually made changes since these were taken. The smoke bush on the left side of the deep end are gone. In place are miscanthus and a Japanese maple. Looks much better now

• cecily 7A
    last year

The pool area is lovely. Now let's see the planting beds around the perimeter please. The back right corner of your property looks interesting.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@splaker Wow! Very pretty yard! I’ll echo @littlebug zone 5 Missouri “…impressive attention to detail.” I can’t resist offering a tree suggestion since you have new trees on your list. My absolute favorite tree which I had 4 of in my Seattle, WA area home & sadly, none in my current Vancouver Wa home - but there are many planted by city as small street trees.- Paperbark Maple / Acer Griseum. It’s from China & has true 4 season interest with its peeling bark & color of bark making it look like a cinnamon stick. I looked for trees that had limbs higher up on trunks as I didn't want to have to limb them up. Fall color is blazing red. They do leaf out later in spring & color up later in fall which makes them even more impressive as the Japanese Maples are about done showing off. Here's a link with a good description Paperbark Maple

• splaker
    Original Author
    last year

I will dig up some other pics of backyard... thanks for the compliments. The perimeter around the pool was mostly done from scratch as previous owner only had grass around the pool. The waterfall area being the exception but even that bed was recreated. They had a big blue spruce that I cut down. Really unintelligent choice that close to the pool.

I love grasses, especially miscanthus.

@KW, I've considered the paperback maple. Almost bought one last fall that was 50% off. I may yet considered it.

What happens is you start to run out of space, at least in the back. I have a septic field in the middle of my backyard that I need to be mindful of. So plants need to be planted along the perimeter for the most part. I have a bur oak sitting in a pot right now. I don't have a place for it! Over the past couple of seasons, I've planted an autumn blaze, sugar maple and a Serbian spruce - all along the back of the property line. You can sort of make out the paper birch - that's the line I am referring to.

I also "tried" a black gum ("Tupelo Tower"). I've posted on the state of that tree over the past two years, trying to save it. It floundered and I eventually shovel pruned it. I think it was in a bad spot.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@splaker I do understand the challenge of running out of room. That happens to me since I’m like a kid in a candy store when I spot a new and must have variety of one my many favorite plants. One way I manage that is by "generously" sharing dug up but still very useable plants with my neighbors. This way I get to see my plants in their new homes as well as enjoy neighboring yards that have plants I like! Win-Win! 😊

• cecily 7A
    last year

I was out walking the other day and came upon a neighborhood where every home along the street had the same purple bearded iris. Gee, I wonder how that happened? It looked beautiful.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    last year

What a beautiful yard, splaker!! So lovely and well-maintained. Bravo. You should indeed be proud!

:)

Dee

splaker thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT