Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_999228504

85 inch TV placement around fireplace

James Choi
last year

Trying to decide if I want to mount my TV over the fireplace or just cover the fireplace that I don’t plan on using with a TV console.

Definitely want to have a large TV so if I were to mount it should it be centered above the fireplace and on the left side or in the center of the wall.

Thanks in advance
James

Tv Mount left side above fireplace
Cover fireplace with TV console
Tv Mount center of wall

Comments (13)

• Chris
    last year

Do you have any pic of other walls.

• James Choi
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for asking. And appreciate your input!

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

Picture of the wall to the right of the fireplace?

• Chris
    last year

Hi I found a couple of pictures online that might help….

• James Choi
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for these examples. Interestingly enough the voting thinks I should cover the fireplace or put the tv center which I haven’t seen picture of. I can try looking but I think I’m gong to cover the fireplace with console as I will use the TV 300 times a year and fireplace 0 times at least right now.

There’s a lot of reasons to put the console in front:

1. Better tv viewing angle for quality and neck
    2. Don’t need to buy a TV mount and get it installed
    3. Fireplace is basic and not stone or anything special. Just a hole in the wall lol.
  • James Choi
    Original Author
    last year

Here’s a photo of the place when it was staged. As requested the white wall to the right is a double door with utility hvac closet and there will be a full storage cabinet next to it.

• James Choi
    Original Author
    last year

To the left are windows that you can see from these pics. Many thanks for your inputs.

• Chris
    last year

I get that. I am not a big fan of high tv placement either. The builder’s original design placement of the fireplace is a bit odd, but it’s a nice space. Enjoy!

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

If the console completely covers the FP so there is absolutely no visual evidence of it at all then fine. But I do think the first pic that Chris posted could work - do the wall dark just like that and add a shelf - then line the TV up on the left w the FP and if it visually goes wider than the FP then it’s ok as the shelf helps visually tie that in. You’ll want a low floor lamp or large basket on the bottom right to visually fill in that void.

• PRO
    Hansen Wholesale
    last year

If you decide to put the TV above the fireplace, you should add a steel mantel with special insulation to help protect the TV and soundbar from heat. Here are a couple examples of how that might look:

Steel mantel surround with soundbar on top. Shown with fireplace glass doors for additional heat protection.

Steel mantel shelf with soundbar on top

I dropped in a plant on the side for balance, but others might have suggestions for filling that space since I'm not an interior designer.

• James Choi
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all!

• James Choi
    Original Author
    last year

Tough choice thanks for all your thoughts and insights. I guess it’s all about what I want more, style or a better viewing experience.