Software
Houzz Logo Print
joan_head

Is the rug the problem?

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Something doesn’t seem right about thisroom. Is the rug pattern competing with the fireplace? Thanks for any advice.








Comments (41)

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    IMO yes but even more so is the TV placement how do you even watch that at the height. I would put the TV on the wall where the art is and rearrange the furnitore then eith ditch the rug or the rattan chairs or at least the animal print pillow along with the orange ones actually all the pillows with the MCM buttons in the center . I like the rug and to add some pillows with texture in a color from the rug would be better but tht TV has got to move

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I think the rug is beautiful, but this board is pattern and traditional style phobic, so I’m sure you’ll get shown plenty of generic or MCM ones.

    I wouldn’t change it. It doesn’t compete at all … fireplaces are natural and fixed objects, in the background, not decor like wallpaper, etc.

    Lovely room, eclectic and inviting. You’ve done a very nice job mixing patterns and colors. It’s all nicely cohesive and interesting. Love the animal print pillows (and other pillows). It is my view that every room should have something animal print. :)

    But if you want advice to erase all personality from your room, you’ve come to the right place.

  • 4 years ago

    It would be helpful to see a photo of the entire wall behind the white chair. I think the white chair might be better angled in front of the fireplace. I'm not sure if the two rattan chairs would fit where the white chair is now.


    Just to get my bearings, I would remove all the throw pillows - the animal print ones, and the ones on the sofa. The large painting has just a small amount of orange as a focal point, so IMO it is better that the throw pillows do not compete with the painting.


    The main thing that jumped out at me was the large coffee table. It has rigid lines that to my eye, conflict with the rest of the furniture. An organic shape, or perhaps several round ottomans, might serve better.



  • 4 years ago

    IMHO---No, the rug is fine. If you love the rug, keep it and change the animal print pillows, etc. Your fireplace is neutral. You seem to be tending towards a cozy traditional style. What look are you going for? Find the things you love the most and figure out if there is a time period or a look you want to create. If that fails, keep to the style of your house/architecture.

    TV above the fireplace seems a pity. I'd move it fwiw.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I think you are focusing on the rug because all the furniture surrounding the space has made the rug front and center. Chair in front of fireplace should be moved out of the way.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Is there enough room to face the sofas? The coffee table will work better. Moving the two chairs will eliminate having to look at the back of the sofa. Walls on either side of fireplace need something. I don't see wall plugs, but there are some nice LED battery run wall sconces.



    Joan Head thanked elcieg
  • 4 years ago

    I’m not a decorator, but the rug does pick up the color of the stone in the fireplace. The pillows and the rattan chair cushions pick up the colors in the painting and don’t pick up the rug colors.

  • 4 years ago

    To my eye, the problem is competing pattern and texture and room arrangement. Fireplace pattern, rattan chair texture reads as pattern, leopard print pillows and the rug all fight a bit. Also, the green shouts at me, but that may just be how it’s showing up on my screen. Maybe there is green in the rug I can’t quite make out. If you like the rug, experiment with removing the rattan chairs completely. Can’t really make out the white chair, but try it near the fireplace and move all the furniture in a bit. The rooms seems to have disparate islands of furniture around the edges. I’d change out all the pillows, too. Maybe play with velvet pillows of a couple of different sizes. Just experiment.

  • 4 years ago

    Green and blue are analogous colors and are fine together if done by design with some repetition. Look out the window---you will see green and blue :)


    https://laurelberninteriors.com/2020/01/12/analogous-color-schemes-in-interiors-the-right-way/

  • 4 years ago

    I don't see the rug as a problem; it is very pretty. The thing that I would change first is to move the 2 chairs in front of the FP...at least separate them a bit more and maybe angle them. They seem to want to obscure the front of the FP. I don't particularly like the TV placement either, but understand that that is sometimes the only solution. I think the chartreuse cushions on the 2 chairs should be blue or another color from the rug (cream, rust), but I actually like the idea of the animal print pillows. I don't care for the pillows on the brown leather sofa; don't they slip and slide too much? I think (especially with the buttons) they draw way too much attention to themselves, and they shouldn't be the 'stars' of the room. I love the rattan chairs and the whole vibe that you have in this warm and inviting room.

  • 4 years ago

    I think the rug is fine. I think the tv is fine too. It feels like everything can come in a bit more though. Like more on the rug. It feels all spaced out and not cohesive as is

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    The rug is lovely and I don’t think it‘s competing with the fireplace. I would though add cushions that better complement/enhance the rug, which willl also pull room together.


    The fireplace could become a lovely focal point, so suggest moving TV to where love seat was (place love seat at window). In regards to a console, hard to suggest given your various furniture styles, but thought one below might work.


    Place your art at mirror‘s location and place mirror on fireplace and accessorize. Try turning rug/pull in your couch to create a more congenial seating area and I’d remove the two chairs, placing your single chair next to fireplace with a reading light.


    This room for example has a congenial feel with seating closer to each other (ignore the two chairs as tv would be located on the left and your seating wouldn't be as close to fireplace).


  • 4 years ago

    Yeah, I’d definitely move the tv, too, and make the mantle pretty with just a very few items. Choose a blue from the rug and use lots of cream/ivory around the room as well.

  • 4 years ago

    “Is there enough room to face the sofas?”

    That would be nice, if possible.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Don't get too caught up in worrying about whether the rug "goes with" the fireplace or the pillows "match" the art. Give yourself free rein to have some fun with this space. Experiment with layering pattern on pattern and incorporating art and decorative objects simply because you love them. Not because they "go". This forum tends to encourage people to create a decorator-y look that might as well have come directly pre-packaged from a big box store. You are a creative soul and are well on your way to making your space warm, inviting, and interesting. I say it could use a bit more of YOU. Try adding more pillows on the sofa, try moving the furniture inwards a bit to facilitate conversation, try bringing in books and photos and other objects that you enjoy.


    And your TV is fine just where it is. Ridiculous how some people think eyes are incapable of looking slightly upwards.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    “And your TV is fine just where it is. Ridiculous how some people think eyes are incapable of looking slightly upwards.”

    It is! Mine isn’t above my fireplace, but I’ve been to many friends’ homes with that set-up, I didn’t notice any difference. Me and my neck amazingly survived.

    If a chair was directly under a TV, like the first row of seats at the movie theater, yeah, sure. But that’s not the case.

    It’s just another one of those mantras that gets repeated here so often, it turns into ”fact” in every situation. I’m pretty sure an OP can tell for themselves if it’s working or not.

    ”This forum tends to encourage people to create a decorator-y look that might as well have come directly pre-packaged from a big box store.”

    🎯

    .

    Just speaking for myself, I’d much rather have the TV above the FP, rather than blocking the beautiful window with a bulky sofa or loveseat.

  • 4 years ago

    Yep. We have a 65" above the fireplace, and necks work just fine around here. Knees are another issue, but I'm fairly confident that has nothing to do with an HBO Max binge.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Ida, your knee issue is probably because your pillows aren’t all solid and match your rug exactly.

    (Disclaimer: I’ve seen Ida’s house in person. Gorgeous.)

  • 4 years ago

    Love when you two banter!

  • 4 years ago

    Rug is great and a good size. Either pull more green into the room, or switch chair cushions to colors from the rug. I would put the white chair in the corner by the console table with the two lamps for a reading nook or a quiet place to text, etc. Pull the two sofas entirely onto the rug and a bit closer to TV/FP. Put the two wicker chairs in the window with the tall rectangular table between them. Paint the table to match the chair cushions you decide on. You could also place the chairs either side of the fireplace or in front of it for summer with a big green fern in the firebox. They could also face each other over a game table.


    Bridge Design Studio · More Info


  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Yes the BLUE rug is the issue.

    You have green cushions, black leather, woven cane & so the room leans a bit tropical or tribal. Here are rugs that carry through that style.









    Joan Head thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 4 years ago

    I'd say either keep the rug and replace the green cushions with blue/red or keep the green cushions and replace the rug with something that repeats an existing colour or pattern.

  • 4 years ago

    The changing the color of the seat cushions would be the least expensive fix. Don't forget to consider  the leopard print pillows may have on the new seat cushions.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Rug is fine. I would eliminate green cousins.


    Joan Head thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
  • 4 years ago

    There is nothing wrong with those green cushions. In fact, for those who like to see continuity to a theme, they play wonderfully with the adjacent painting. It's so much fresher and more interesting to have a few touches of unexpected color in a room.

    Joan Head thanked User
  • 4 years ago

    Y’all stop it. Everything doesn’t have to match!

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Ida, we were posting at the same time, because of course. :D

  • 4 years ago

    Thanks to each of you for your ideas. I love the rug and will try your suggestions to incorporate more blue and neutrals. The TV needs to stay put. I really like the idea of sconces flanking the fireplace and there are outlets there. Any idea where i might find replacement cushions for the rattan chairs? i bought them at Pier One and they don‘t carry them any longer.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Why do you want replacements? The green and animal print looks great to me. Do you not like them?

    It’s subjective, not a rule. If you like them, keep them. Don’t be unduly influenced by strangers on a message board who happen to like different styles …. and absolutely aren’t all ”pros” in interior design.

    Keep in mind anyone can register a ”pro” title here. Does NOT mean they’re actual interior designers. And not all actual interior designers register as ”pros” here. ;)

    Joan Head thanked Jilly
  • 4 years ago

    The green cushions are fine. The animal print is a bit jarring.

    Joan Head thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • 4 years ago

    If you have basic sewing skills, you can recover your green cushions fairly easily. Just google 'how to sew a boxed cushion'. This is a decent tutorial.

    Joan Head thanked Jennifer K
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I don't think the blue/red rug works w/the brown/tan stone, the orange pillows, along with the green and the leopard print that's on the brown/red rattan chairs!

    I like each one by themself.

    If you want to stick w/the green to play off the art, the leopard is fine, but the rug has to change

    These would be very nice w/what's in the room and the fireplace. (but I'd lose the orange pillows. I don't think they work here)






    find an overdyed rug w/green tones and switch out the pillows. upgrade the end table to a warmer wood tone and gold metallic to compliment the stone.


    this lighter one would be pretty against the dark soft and wood floor. has the blue greens to work w/the art/chairs, and the softer cream tones to compliment the stone fireplace



    Or, go w/golden browns/neutrals like the stone work


    Joan Head thanked Beth H. :
  • 4 years ago

    I like the green and blue together. I can get rid of the orange pillows And look for something blue or cream that doesnt slide around. Beth, the beams I have are cedar' painted white. I wonder if they could be stripped. I would love to add a chandelier! I would also love to replace the end tables but thought new ones shoukd be mkre laong the lines of the coffee table.......not matxhing but more angular.

    About the alcoves.......they are 3’ wide . I have tried putting tables with lamps and slide in bookcases there but eveything looks SO small next to the 10’ fireplace. Thats why I htought the idea to put sconces there was a good idea. I painted the alcoves green once and that did nothing but call attention to them and their smallness. One more thing.....I did the art and can easily change the color of the sailboat to a softer color if need be....or I can reolace it if its too stark. One question about the rattan chairs........coukd they be used as dining chairs? I thought about putting them at the ends of a dining table.


    I appreciate all of this help so very much!

  • 4 years ago

    Lovely room! I see what you're saying about scale of the fireplace - you have wonderful natural light, a large tree (maybe a ficus in an oversized basket) to the right of the fireplace would bring in some height, looseness and texture (I would likely be tempted to do another oversized plant to the left, something in a good sized pot with lots of volume - so it doesn't look puny next to the fireplace) For the mantle, it could be fun to add some contrast to the wood with some chunky ceramics in your favorite colors from the room

  • 4 years ago

    You don’t need to adjust the painting you did. Art is art; doesn’t have to be matchy. If you love it, keep it as is. The cane chairs might work as dining table end chairs. Only way to know is try. It will all depend on the size and style of your table and other dining chairs. As far as the fireplace wall, I wouldn’t flank the fireplace with plants. You need something with weight in the spaces and that’s not fussy. @BethH sent you great pics of fireplaces similar to yours and at least as tall. In particular, see how in this one the fp wall is balanced with darker paint and large scale lamps. It’s all about the right pieces. Also, yes, you can strip and stain the ceiling beams back to a warm wood as they were. Oftentimes that’s harder and more expensive than reframing them in new boxes and staining. And because I can’t remember if you’re keeping the rug or what’s been decided there, I’m on team rug below, also from BethH. It would work well with the fp and your floors. Bringing some light to the floor is also going to help add balance and cohesion to the room.

  • 4 years ago

    An example of blue and green, and even red together---a medieval Palermo palace:




  • 4 years ago

    I have to agree with someone (I’ve lost track 😂) your pillows are an issue. I think pillows don’t need to match but should coordinate or flow. Yours don’t seem to keep to a color scheme.

  • 4 years ago

    What is jarring for me is those two chairs lined up like soldiers in front of the fireplace. I feel you need better furniture placement. Altho I am also not fussy on the green cushions.

  • 4 years ago

    I’m liking this console……an IKEA hack……with a lamp on top of it. I’m going to move the chairs, maybe into the bay window area, and then see what I think. I’m going to look for blue and cream pillows and I still like the green cushions, even thought I see I’m in the minority. I also like the rug. Thanks for all of your suggestions!