FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
jhm7025

Which light to pick?

jhm7025
29 days ago

My living room needs a light fixture to replace the fanThe room is open so that you see my dining room light (see photo Empire crystal) and my center hall hanging pendants (black seed glass). When I pick a new living room chandelier, should it tie with the looks of the lights in the hall and dining room?

Comments (33)

• Lyn Nielson
    29 days ago

they certainly should compliment each other...

I personally don't think your Center Hall compliments the crystal fixture.

Any thoughts on a semi flush mount with crystals for your center Hall?

I also would not hang a chandelier in that living room space.

• jhm7025
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Hi Lyn, Thanks much for your kind and candid suggestions. The house is antebellum, it’s neoclassical—in the Deep South USA—where chandeliers are in most every room in old houses. Any suggestions on how to better light the living room? A flush-mount ceiling light?

• Related Discussions

• felizlady
    28 days ago

Do you have an electrician who could check the wiring in your classic old house? New fixtures may draw more electricity than the old ones and old wiring may need updating. If you want complimentary fixtures, you can use fixtures with the same metal finish and different shades or crystals. I think the dining room fixture is special and I would hesitate to replace it.

• jhm7025
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Thank you felizlady. Good reminder about the wiring. Any suggestions about fixture to light the living room?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    28 days ago

You have a lovely home and the dining room chandelier is gorgeous! How high are the ceilings? I would make sure that whatever fixture you get does not hang less than 7 feet from the floor, especially if you have tall people (over 6') in the house. Also will the chandelier be placed in the seating area? Here's a photo of a room I did for a client--perhaps a fixture like this would work in your living room:

Refreshing a suburban home · More Info

• jackowskib
    28 days ago

I would explore semi flush mount with pretty glass for living room that ties to entry hall lights. Dining chandelier can stand on its own. Such a pretty room!

• Rachel Lee
    28 days ago

Unless you’re going to center the fixture from every vantage point( windows, coffee table, fireplace…) I would go with a period appropriate flush mount vs a chandelier type.

• lepstein
    28 days ago

Love the upward bowl but it is a dust catcher. Open or downward facing is easier to keep clean.

• Mama Cita
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

Your rooms are so gracious! Let that spectacular DR chandelier be the star, but complement it in one or more respects — any mix of vase shape, draped strands, some crystals, rosettes, center drop orb, candles, etc Personally i would try for a touch of a gold tone metal, and avoid introducing a new glass tone like milk or alabaster. Vintage lighting would be incredible here and adds patina new lights can’t match!!’

this one would be so perfect, great price point too:

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    28 days ago

The minute I saw your photos, I thought of this fixture for your living room. It shines beautiful light patterns on the ceiling and is nice height for your rooms.

• Sharma
    28 days ago

If you'd want to keep the air flow from the ceiling fan, I did a quick search on Wayfair.com for examples of luxury ceiling fans and came up with several fans with complimentary crystal/cut glass light fixtures. Your dining room chandelier is beautiful and I wouldn't want to choose a fixture that would compete with it, but rather would compliment it. Perhaps changing out the hallway light fixture with another complimentary ceiling mount/flush mount with cut glass or crystals. All three would then appear to be coordinated.

The suggestion to check the electrical is a good one...even if replacing with another ceiling fan, it may require an electrical upgrade as you're now adding a light fixture to it. You might also want to think about having the fan and light on different switches so you could use them independently (light only or fan only) or maybe even have the light fixture on a dimmer for mood lighting in your living room. I have the ceiling fan w/light fixture in my living room set up that way.

• Lyn Nielson
    28 days ago

a semi flush mount like this would be appropriate for the Living room, or the Hall.

I LOVE the dining room fixture you have!!!

• scout
    28 days ago

I don’t have any advice, but I wanted to say that I love your dining room chandelier!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    28 days ago

Inspiration.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    27 days ago

Sharma, I think you posted this for a different dilemma. This post in for interior. Nice ideas though!

• Sharma
    27 days ago

I thought I had deleted that post, 'cause I realized I had posted to the wrong dilemma! Sorry.

• Sharma
    27 days ago

I had commented earlier today about possibly keeping a ceiling fan for air flow but adding a light kit and had briefly searched on Wayfair.com. Well, here's a few examples that might compliment the dining room chandelier. See below...

I had never seen the ones with the clear, curved fan blades before...different. And if I read correctly they can be retracted on the top of the light fixture so it looks like a light and not a fan.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    27 days ago

Those are called Fandaliers. They have their place but might not suit your home. But they have gotten better and better so see if you can see samples in local hood lighting shops.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    27 days ago

Good not hood!!

• RedRyder
    27 days ago

I think @Flo Mangan nailed it. You should look for a “fancy” nearly flush mount for the living room and consider changing the hallway. Keeping the crystal look for all three will make them cohesive, but using more “modest” ones for the other two allow your phenomenon dining room chandelier to be the star of the house. That piece is amazing.
    You may want to scour antique shops and see if something unique can be found. But I love #3 from Flo’s suggestions.

• jhm7025
    Original Author
    27 days ago

I’m amazed at the number of responses and appreciative in the quality of your suggestions! It’s helped so much. What an amazing resource all y’all are!1

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    27 days ago

It’s great seeing someone do an elegant space! That’s exciting. Well done. Let us know what you decide. Beautiful home.

• jhm7025
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Thanks everyone...I purchased the leaf ceiling light in 30” diameter. Once it’s installed, I’ll post the result. Thank you for your advice.

• Mama Cita
    26 days ago

Spectacular! Well done Flo!

• jhm7025
    Original Author
    25 days ago

@Mama Cita, I went to the websites and looked at each fixture you recommended. (I researched every fixture that was suggested by each responder.) Loved your ideas and the style. Because the room is so big, I decided on a fixture that is 30” wide so it is proportional to the room.

I appreciate how many photos you provided and your great design messages. That took time, so thank you!

• jhm7025
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Here is the AFTER: The fixture that this group recommended is now installed. I promised an ‘after’ photo, here it is. It’s a heavy, substantial light and feels perfect for the room. My next project is for the center hall dogtrot—my new dilemma is coming soon to you.

• scout
    17 days ago

It's absolutely perfect! I love your living room!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    16 days ago

So exciting! It’s perfect for your room.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    16 days ago

Looks great--thanks for coming back and showing us the result!

• jackowskib
    16 days ago

It turned out beautifully! I’m just now noticing all the crown molding is same color as walls, which I’ve never seen done. Oh the possibilities!

• theotherjaye
    16 days ago

What a gorgeous room!

• RedRyder
    16 days ago

Wow! It’s perfect. The room now looks more like a “jewel”. Great choice.