Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthia_gonzalez4

master bedroom remodel- Custom Cabinetry or Mass made

Business_Name_Placeholder
last year
last modified: last year

I am working with a contractor remodeling a master bath with budget of 67K. The contractor has asked me to select a pre-made cabinet from James Martin and or Wyndham. I will be saving 3.500 dollars if i chose one of those brands. I am not certain if i want to spend that additional money. All i need is a 72-inch cabinet. Are there benefits (apart from aesthetics) in using custom cabinetry?

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMo usually custom is used when you cannot find a stock cabinet that fits the space and has the type of storage you need. There are many stocked vanities in 72" width so I would need more info to advise you on what you need . I have done many bathroom redos for a lot less than 67K so share what else is going to be in the space I do not understand what you mean by spending the extra money since those choices are stock itmes . So if I understand this you save $3500 by choosing a cabinet from one of those suppliers so what is the problem if you are not fussy . IMO custom cabinetry is not any more eye pleasing than a nice stock one if it fits.

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Fori
    last year

Mass-made cabinets can be as good or as crappy as anything; so can custom. I don't know if the lines you're looking at are good or bad, and I don't fully understand how saving 3500$ is also spending additional money. :)

Like Patricia says, no need to seek out custom unless you can't find what you want in non-custom. (Size, weird options, appearances, etc.)

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked Fori
  • Helen
    last year

It really depends on what your needs are in terms of both functionality and aesthetics.

I did have my cabinets done by a local cabinet maker and they are completely custom in terms of the aesthetics - wood species, stain and custom door style. However most important to me was that they were configured exactly how I wanted for my needs and working with my space.

Like others I don't understand what your pricing options are but my final price wasn't more than I would have paid for a semi-custom in the wood species and configured for my needs and space.

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked Helen
  • chinacatpeekin
    last year

I have no idea of your style or specific needs, but Room and Board have exceptionally well made, well priced, and beautiful bathroom vanities in many styles, if you don’t need custom. If you don’t need custom, I suggest you take a look. Theirs are far nicer than anything else I saw when vanity shopping.

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked chinacatpeekin
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

Saving over WHAT? Custom? Another pre made? What is the bath layout plan? Is the vanity against a wall? In a Niche? I ask as 67k isn't just anything, any more than ...." I just need a 72 inch vanity........" which can be MANY things. what's the style, feel, flavor and layout?

More importantly? You contractor is your technician........NOT your designer.

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked JAN MOYER
  • arcy_gw
    last year

67k for a bathroom would be 100% custom to get to that price! Are you moving plumbing and redoing all the walls and ceilings to the studs???

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked arcy_gw
  • C G
    last year

I ended up getting a vanity from Room and Board (so premade) not only because of cost but because the lead time was less. That’s the major advantage. And, when you say custom, do you mean from a woodworker/cabinetmaker, or a cabinet company like Bertch (which I guess might be called semi-custom?) that was the route I was deciding on (I knew I couldn’t get a true custom cabinet in the timeframe…but even the semi-custom had a long lead time.)

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked C G
  • PRO
    Original Author
    last year

Jan Moyer my designer and my contractor work together. It is the designer who said that if i go with custom made it will cost 3500 more than if i pick a pre-made one. They only install James Martin, Wyndham or Pro bath. The vanity is going against a wall. My preference is to have a vanity with horizontal drawers. Unfortunately, none of those brands offer a cabinet with the type drawers at least not as many drawers. The style is transitional, the feel is elegant. The layout is rectangular. Starting with bathtub by the window, the vanity followed by the shower ending with the water closet. The company is family own. The designer and contractor work hand in hand. The one discussing the vanity is the designer.

• PRO
    Original Author
    last year

Patricia Colwell Consulting, I would like a vanity with horizontal drawers and the brands that i mentioned do not make cabinets like that. While they have some drawers, they don't have one to fit my needs. The entire bathroom is being demolished. Including ceiling, electrical, plumbing ect. We are working on improving the functionality. Since my remodeler gives a ten-year warranty on the everything, they are selective with the materials that they use.

• PRO
    Original Author
    last year

Fori My remodeler is doing all the purchasing. If i go with a custom made cabinet they will charge me 3500 more that if i go with pre made. That's how they charge. I haven't found what i like. I am trying to decide if i want to spend the extra money.

• PRO
    Original Author
    last year

Helen my pricing options are going with premade with one of the cabinet makers that i mentioned or pay 3500 more to go with custom. That's how the charge since the size is the same either way.

• PRO
    Original Author
    last year

chinacatpeekin,

Thank you for recommending Room and Board. Their cabinet selection is gorgeous. Unfortunately, they don't have one with horizontal drawers only, which is what i need.

• PRO
    Original Author
    last year

arcy_gw,

Yes it is a full demolition, including the ceiling, plumbing and electrical. On a second story house. The price of the construction is what's driving the cost upwards. We had to replace the entire house plumbing recently, so they will be re doing the walls as well.

• PRO
    Original Author
    last year

C G they did not give me the option of semi custom. They only do custom. I will double check. Thank you!

• PRO
    Original Author
    last year

C G you are totally correct about the pricing. My bathroom is 200 SF. We are getting pretty good price because we have done projects with them before. Many projects big and small. They did an amazing job with my kitchen. I am still in awe every time i enter the room.

• Helen
    last year

I think it really depends on your finances.

When I remodeled I spent on a lot of things that weren't entirely necessary and I could have theoretically spent less.

However I had the money to pay for those things and I don't regret having spent for them. In fact some of my regrets are for a few items in which I decided to save what really was a relatively small percentage of my remodeling and decorating final costs .🤷🏼‍♀️

If you have the money and horizontal drawers are important for you functionally and aesthetically, then why not?

For someone on a tighter budget they might not have the extra $3500 or they might need or want to allocate it to something else

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked Helen
  • C G
    last year

I wanted drawers too, but ended up compromising with Room and Board because it met my timing and quality expectations…I was also frustrated with the designer because of the pace of getting things settled, so it was easier for me to order the entire unit rather than deal with all the parts (cabinet, sink, top). I don’t necessarily regret it—I love it—but I do wish it had more drawers. I actually sent Room and Board a recommendation for future designs. 😄 if you can afford the time and expense of custom, I’m sure it’s worth it in the end. I was debating handmade tile, and I’m so glad I decided to splurge. Not everyone can but it really does add something special. Nearly every bathroom I liked on Houzz had custom cabinets.