Software
Houzz Logo Print
coker

Front elevation help

4 years ago

I’m seeking advice on the front elevation of a house we are soon building. The front seems too flat, and without changing the footprint I would like to give it more interest. Attached is a rough rendering so far. thanks in advance.


Comments (10)

  • 4 years ago

    It's really got a lot going on and is anything but flat. If you're not used to looking at this type of drawing, they do look weird and flat. Can your architect sketch you up an angled view?

    coker thanked Fori
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Consider replacing the arched window over the front door with a fair of double hungs that matches the adjacent pair.

    coker thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • 4 years ago

    You may actually be responding to the wrongness of the design and thinking it's flat, when that is not the problem. If anything, I would be looking to remove the smaller gable and the brick or stone under it (whatever material is intended there). It looks odd to emphasize a vertical area that doesn't include the front door. I would flatten the center gable or eliminate it. Is there some reason the windows on the right are paired together instead of singles like the other side? While you don't need to be a slave to symmetry (the garage is already throwing off the symmetry), unless there's a good reason to have different windows it looks like a mistake. The window over the front door looks like something from the '90's. In fact the whole design looks like something from the '90's. I love traditional, but if you like it too, go more traditional and don't repeat mistakes from thirty years ago.


    While everyone hates the look of a garage, this one isn't bad because it isn't positioned in front of the bulk of the house. If you eliminate the gables, make the portico more interesting and then you will have a beautiful, classic, traditional home. If you can afford to put brick or stone on the front, do the whole front, don't piecemeal it.

    coker thanked kandrewspa
  • 4 years ago

    It’s not as flat as you think.

    What do the sides and rear look like? I hope as much attention is paid to them.

    coker thanked bpath
  • 4 years ago

    PPF much better


    coker thanked cpartist
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Design the house, do NOT design an elevation.

    coker thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • 4 years ago

    Get nicer looking garage doors and skip the windows. The garage doors are about 1/4 of your front facade, so spend a proportionate budget on them.

    coker thanked chispa
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I think you need to ask your architect for an angled view. What you have is an elevation - that is one dimensional. It gives you no sense of what the front of the house will look like.

    coker thanked Debbi Washburn
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    You won’t be able to judge the 3 dimensional massing of the design with a 2D construction drawing. Can’t your designer provide a 3D computer model?
    I haven’t designed a building without a 3D computer model since 1990 and I made balsa wood models before that.
    Are all those dotted lines showing the lateral bracing? Get a real design drawing.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations