Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Thursday's Garden Treasures

shive
last year
last modified: last year

I'm happy to have a dry, cooler day to work and enjoy the garden. I got two new daylilies planted this morning and some weeding accomplished.

Forever Redeemed ffo - This was a happy accident. I have Forever Redeemed planted in my front garden and it has not yet bloomed. When I looked out in my backyard I noticed this beautiful red bloom in one of my raised beds where it had never been before. Then I remembered having gotten this one as a bonus three years ago. It sat in a pot and never bloomed, until I dumped it out to use the pot for a new daylily last Spring. I tossed the plant in the side of the bed, and forgot about it. Well it rooted, thrived and is blooming beautifully now.

This bloom of Ice Cream Emperor looked so perfect today.

Henrietta McIntyre ffo - This is a new one I got a year ago, and this is the first flower ever. I like it and crossed it with Bluegrass Shadows a few minutes ago.

Sensational Heart pumping out a trio - This is a new one from last year two. It's a good grower, and although you can't tell from this photo, the scapes are tall and well budded. Excuse the strip of Bounce fabric softener. I use those when it rains to deter the deer.

Diver Down still has short scapes, but I love that red bloom with the white watermark. It's my best red pod setter, and I have several seedlings from it.

Seedling "Big Pink" with a trio.

Pink Extraordinaire X Cexy Samantha - I think this one is going to be a star if the sepals ever clear up. Gigantic 7.5 inch bloom! I crossed it with Big Pink this morning.

Pink Lemonade Party X Dearest Valentine - It's more narrow than I would prefer, but I like the shade of pink and the ruffles, so it can stick around for awhile.

Dearest Valentine X Uknown

White Tooth X Rip Saw

Debra

Comments (8)

• organic_kitten
    last year

Forever Redeemed wasn't giving up. I am really fond of that bloom. Sensational Heart is an attraction getter, isn't it? I agree that Diver Down is a gorgeous bloom. My was taller this year than last, but the name still fit. All of the seedlings are beauties, but "Big Pink" iss my favorite today.

kay

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    last year

I am happy to see more seedlings, Big Pink gets my vote today, love all those buds. I hope to see more blooms on your White Tooth seedling.I really like Sensational Heart……trying to tell if it has an edge? I think it caught my eye because of the nice ruffling and some blooms look like no edge. I like the big red bloom with no edge……surprised me.

Sherry

• Nancy 6b
    last year

I have talked myself out of Forever Redeemed several times, it is very pretty. Henrietta is a pretty one, should go well with Bluegrass Shadows, I would think. I really like Sensational Heart and Diver Down. Sensational Heart sounds like a good plant, what about Diver Down. I always go for watermarks. Big Pink is gorgeous! Pink Extraordinaire seedling really has promise, doesn't it..

Yes, I should just go ahead and say i like them all, because I do.

• Julia WV (6b)
    last year

I think Pink Extraordinaire X Cexy Samantha is a winner. Is your weather causing the splotches on the sepals?

• mantis__oh
    last year

Sensational Heart has remarkable wavy, crimped edging. I see that it is described as cerise rose red. Ice Cream Emperor can indeed throw some nice blooms, but most here are on short scapes and often don't open well. It needs to travel south.

• lilykate7a
    last year

Ahhhh…that color on Sendational Heart-how pretty! That sounds like hopefully a winner cross with Bluegrass Shadows. Big Pink is pretty and I love the color on the Dearest Valentine serdling.

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    last year

I like your pink seedlings (you know how I feel about pink). The Pink Extraordinaire seedling is beautiful! I hope those sepals start behaving. I also like Diver Down and Sensational Heart. I especially like a white watermark on a red daylily.

Nancy

• shive
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Kay - Thanks for the vote on "Big Pink!" Forever Redeemed is a beauty in the mornings. It's a shade it fades so much in hot afternoons.

Sherry - I'm excited more than one person picked "Big Pink" as their favorite of these. Sensational Heart has a small picotee edge that is sort of pink.

Nancy - Diver Down has a large beautiful bloom that usually opens well and is seldom splotchy. My other Hansen reds are close to the registration heights, but Diver Down has been 20-23 inches tall for all three years it's bloomed here. It does rebloom and multiply well, and it is by and far the best Hansen red I grow for hybridizing. It's a real pod hussy - even in the 90s. It usually has 8-12 buds per scape.

Julia - Both the weather and insects are causing the sepal problems on that seedling.

Mantis - Sensational Heart does have a neat edge. I would not describe it as cerise rose red. It has orange undertones and an orangey watermark. The color is attractive and just glows in the morning. But it does fade a lot by 3 p.m. Ice Cream Emperor varies in height here from year to year. This year it's 20-22 inches tall. The previous two years it was 24 inches. I have it at the front of the border, so it doesn't bother me that it's short.

Kate - Sensational Heart does have stage presence. Thanks for the comments on the seedlings!

Nan - We both love the pinks. I like a white watermark on any color daylily. LOL

Debra

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES