Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdngirl90

Bathroom Remodel Help

Cdngirl90
last year

Hello! Im remodelling my bathroom soon and I need some help trying to figure out the best layout for our space. The room is about 9.5ftx9.5ft

The goal is to try and keep as much in the same spot as possible.

I’d love to get rid of the tub since we dont use it. Initially what I would have loved was having a 60” double sink vanity and then extending the counter all the way across the window to the other wall and making the window area a make up vanity. The problem is the window comes down too low, so I would have to drop the counter about 2“ to do that… and at that point we’d have to do custom cabinets which I am trying very hard to avoid doing.

We would like to leave the shower where it is, but just making it a 3x5 or 3x6.

Another option is to have the 60” double sink vanity, move the toilet from its current spot to the opposite side, having the shower same as mentioned above, and then doing a make up vanity in the corner (as pictured)

What are your thoughts? I’d love to have a make up vanity however if its just not going to work then thats fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (5)

• kandrewspa
    last year

One of the problems is that 60" is the minimum for two sinks. 72" is better. 60" with two sinks will not leave you with a lot of counter surface. Do you actually use both sinks simultaneously? Some people are fine with one sink in the master. I do agree with not extending it under the window and making the cabinets shorter - unless, would that be the right height for a make-up counter if you were seated?

The toilet is the most expensive thing to move. If this bathroom is on the second floor you are going to have difficulty determining the level of difficulty until the floor is opened up. Usually anything is possible given enough money, but you can't run plumbing through a joist. :-)

Cdngirl90 thanked kandrewspa
  • Cdngirl90
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for the advice!

I’m very open and okay with having the 60” vanity being a single sink. Its more so my husband who wanted his own sink (hes not the one cleaning it though lol)

If I were to leave the toilet where it was, I could definitely get away with having the custom make up vanity be an inch or 2 lower under the window…. I just worry if its going to look dumb to have 2 seperate heights? The 60” will be probably around 36” tall (current is 32”) and then to the rest of the wall would probably be about 30”. I just feel like it’d almost look like an after thought?

Am I best with just replacing whats currently in place (making the shower bigger) and doing a standalone tub?

• kandrewspa
    last year

The one or two sink question can only be answered by you and DH. I know that there will be people who will argue against having a lower level vanity next to your sink(s), but it is a good way to make use of the area under the window. It's something that used to be done more frequently in the past.

I don't believe in paying for things you're not going to use, so if you're not going to use a tub, there's no reason not to get rid of it. You're not the only person who doesn't want one. My concern with the sink(s) and make-up vanity on one wall and the toilet and shower on the opposite wall is that it is a boring, though functional arrangement. That's why the builder angled the tub in the existing arrangement.

If you draw a floor plan on graph paper that shows the as-built with the door and window to scale you will probably get more ideas from commenters. While pictures are helpful, a floor plan with dimensions is the best way to visualize the placement of the elements in your bathroom and be sure that desirable clearances are met.

• la_la Girl
    last year

What a nice big space! seems a shame not to get 2 sinks in there since you’re giving up the tub - could you do a sink/vanity with lower make up counter under the window then have a matching sink/vanity for DH on another wall? i know its extra plumbing to move but could be worth it -

• olychick
    last year

Why not have a single sink on the vanity you've drawn in, take out the tub, add a vanity to the wall the toilet is on (where the tub is now) that doesn't reach all the way to the window? Could be a free standing or hanging vanity (both vanities should be the same). Leave the toilet and showers where they are. If the vanity perpendicular to the window isn't too close to it, having it lower will not be an issue.
    Notice the window here, but yours would be with a single sink/vanity (this is backwards from your set up - just showing the vanity higher than the window and how it can work).

two vanities like this could work:

or this: