Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hiljus

Gallons for new whirlpool tub.

Elise
last year
last modified: last year

I am researching whirlpool tubs for our new home. How much consideration should I have in the number of gallons it holds? What is the average? I anticipate using it fairly often as long as it doesn't use too much water and time to fill.

I would also like a higher over-flow height.

I am 5'2" so I don't mind it being a smaller tub.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated!

Thanks!

Elise

I'm adding more information after many comments.

I will use this tub for relief from pain after a hard days work, which is almost every day. I don't think of it as a "spa." We've had a whirlpool tub in our previous home. To be honest, I didn't use it much because it was in an unfinished, uncomfortable downstairs bathroom. Even though, I did find it beneficial when I did. I never had problems with dirty water coming from the tubes and the noise never bothered me. We live in Wisconsin which has harsh winters so an outdoor tub is out of the question.

My concern is that I will be detered from using it because of the amount of water and time it will take to fill it.

Thanks again!

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

Skip the whirlpool tub. You'll use it for exactly 3 months and then never use it again. They are loud which makes the relaxation experience less than ideal. Get yourself a nice deep soaking tub instead. And if you really want a spa-like experience, put in a hot tub in the back yard.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

For the past 25 years, I’ve had jetted bathtubs, big and small, as well as outdoor hot tubs. Personally, they are just way too noisy and not relaxing at all. At most, I’d put some bubble bath in and push the button for a minute to get some bubbles going before I soak. Other than that, I don’t use the jets. My next home will have a deep soaking tub. No jets. No noise.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

It's true what they say about it being too noisy. You're resting your back against the area housing the motor.

Here are soaking tubs

https://maax.com/bathtubs/all-products

You'll have to check the space sheet to see how many gallons it uses. This typical tub below uses 54 gallons. I don't tink you'll find a tub using few gallons.

• Verbo
    last year

Most need close to 80-100 gallons, and will require upgrading your water heater to a tankless or very large tank. That goes for a deep soaker or a whirlpool.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

Verbo reminded me - my last home had a jetted tub which was huge. My water heater could not fill it up to the jets, rendering it useless. Never mind the millions of gallons it’d take to fill it.

• M Miller
    last year

The jets also can be a place for mildew to grow if they are not used in a while but remain moist. Then when you do turn them on, you'll get black particles coming out for a minute or two. Just being real here. A soaker tub is preferable IMO. I have a soaker tub and use it in the winter when I have been chilled to the bone. It's really great, and I would have it in any future home. I don't know the number of gallons it uses, but it takes quite a while to fill up. I am thankful to live in a region with no water shortages or restrictions.

• Daisy S
    last year

I love my Jacuzzi tub. I have a bigger water heater. There are good Jacuzzi tub cleaners that keep the pipes clean- no gunk. The tub is very relaxing and it can always be used as a soaker…just don’t turn on the jets.

• Elise
    Original Author
    last year

How many gallons is it? And, was that something you considered when picking it out?

• M Riz
    last year

I had a jetted tub for 20 years, it was an upgrade we had to have., and with that we needed a HWH upgrade. Maybe used it a couple of times a year, really used it to wash the kids. To get in there to clean it is a PITA, it takes up a ton of floor space and even with the special cleaners (because it was rarely used) it still spat out cruddy water so you had to clean it just prior to use. To clean it you have to fill it w hot water up to the jets, thats a lot of water and a lot of time even if you do it every few weeks.. That may just be my experience. If you still really want one, get the type that uses air instead of water jets. If the motor fails, its a huge, expensive, clunky soaking tub. If you want it, get it, but you should hear peoples opinion. Good luck

• btydrvn
    last year

We have an outdoor jacuzzi…an indoor clawfoot tub…my husband uses the outdoor tub every morning that he plays golf and i use it almost every nite before bed…we both turn on the bubbles as needed….i think the convenience of it always being ready..is the only way we could ….or would ….want to use it as often as we wish

• btydrvn
    last year

Our tub is small..more like a big bath tub ..so cleaning it is a quick easy process…

• vinmarks
    last year

We had a jacuzzi tub in our previous house, We lived in that house for 15 years. Used the jacuzzi tub maybe 3 times. I always preferred to just use the small regular tub in our guest room. The thought of water sitting and stagnating in the tub jets kind of grossed me out and our water heater was not adequate enough to completely fill the tub with hot water. In our current house we have no tub in our masterbath but do have a hot tub outside.

• btydrvn
    last year

The one thing that makes a big difference in a covered jacuzzi is that you have to have the chemicals that suit you… I don’t like a chemical smell…but definitely want to avoid any stagnation…. also the color of the tub matters to me… I like the white tub we have as it immediately tells you if there is any water problem.. if you have the right amount of everything..