Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhome1017

How to Update Laundry Nook

Stacy
last year

Hello! Soon to be new homeowner looking for inspiration and advice to slowly update a house from 1959. Below is a Laundry Closet that appears to be original to the model where modern washer/dryers are larger than the space provided. I'd ideally like to have it covered or atleast encased in the closet space. Behind the wall is mostly the powder room and likely pipe/wires...

Does the community have similar experiences or advice to share? Many thanks in advance!

Comments (13)

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

How deep is it, from the back wall? I prefer a stacked washer/dryer pair, so I'd want to pull the shelved, put in stacked machines, and then put shelves or a cabinet to the side of the machines. Then add a door.

Stacy thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • ci_lantro
    last year

Compact stackables might work. Bosch 300 series are 24 `1/4" deep. The machines. I don't know how much addt'l space you need behind the machines for hoses, vents, electrical connections.. Small machines, though. Maybe not suitable for family sized laundry.

Stacy thanked ci_lantro
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

Stackables is going to be a good answer for you . This should allow you to put doors back on and not really look at anymore.

Stacy thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • ci_lantro
    last year

Or compact machines, side by side. Which would be my preference since I fold as I remove items from the dryer and use the top surface of the machines to fold & stack. Compact front load machines may give you enough room to put doors back up. You will gain 3-5 inches in depth over the typical top load machines like you have.

You'll will have to do the measuring and math since we don't know how deep the niche is. Nor how the dryer is vented. (A non-vented condensing/ heat pump dryer may be part of the solution.)

Stacy thanked ci_lantro
  • Sigrid
    last year

You could put up a curtain or doors at the top. It wouldn't be as good as adding full-sized doors but covering the top bit would reduce the laundry closet vibe.

Stacy thanked Sigrid
  • wdccruise
    last year

@RL Relocation LLC: "Stackables is going to be a good answer for you . This should allow you to put doors back on and not really look at anymore."

The problem is with the appliances' depth. He has full-size appliances and he'd have to replace them both with compact models to fit them in the closet. It wouldn't matter whether they were stacked or both sat on the floor.

Stacy thanked wdccruise
  • Stacy
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for your great suggestions! Will update this post to see how we make out once we make decision! Cheers!

• nhbaskets
    last year

We recently purchased an LG Wash Tower for our laundry closet. Love these full size machines!

Before

After

Stacy thanked nhbaskets
  • ci_lantro
    last year

Again, the Washtower will not work. Too deep. 30" depth on the Washtower which is probably deeper than the top load washer that is in the niche in OP's picture. Those machines in OP's pix look like Whirlpools...which are 27" deep.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

But what constitutes not getting ones that fit in the space? front loaders on pedestals, with a butcher block top

• PRO
  • fissfiss
    last year

The small Bosch units will probably work, but they are European in capacity. I’ve given up on doors, one more thing to clank and bang and get in the way…but my laundry area is out of sight.