Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
designtastic

Previous Owner Neighbor Dispute

designtastic
last year

We recently bought a house that was fully renovated. A few weeks after the closing, our neighbor told us that there was damage done to their garage during the renovation and the previous owner had verbally told them they would fix it. But that never happened and now the neighbor is saying I am responsible. It was never mentioned on any documents or by the seller about this dispute to us.

Any advice on who is at fault and owes? We have already contacted our attorney who helped us buy the house.

Comments (19)

• ffpalms
    last year

Common sense strongly suggests that you are in no way responsible. I would love to hear how this eventually plays out.

• 3onthetree
    last year

Whew, lucky for you the previous owner also didn't say they would build a pool for your neighbor and mow their lawn forevermore.

If they hold it against you that tells you what kind of people they are.

• Stax
    last year

This helps how? lol

• 3onthetree
    last year

Stax, do you understand sarcasm?

• designtastic
    Original Author
    last year

My understanding was that the title insurance covers any past “claims” filed against the property. Since the neighbors did not file a claim at the time the incident occurred and are only going to do it now, would that apply?

I do understand that common sense would say the previous owner was at fault as they caused the damage. But then again legally I’m still confused. The neighbors did say at the end of our conversation that they would hold me, as the owner now, responsible for the damage and that after paying them I need to go after the previous owner to recoup the money. Which I find ridiculous to say the least… still waiting on our lawyer’s reply which due to the holiday weekend will likely be next week :/

• bry911
    last year
    last modified: last year

@designtastic - Your title insurance covers any claims that existed on the property before you bought it, regardless of when those claims are brought forward. Since this is a commitment your neighbors feel they have against your property, title insurance would cover that if they prevail.

However, you are not responsible for any debt owed by the previous owner, your neighbors are completely, and rather fantastically, wrong. To be legitimate, they would have needed to record a lien on the property or file a lis pendens. Unfortunately, even if you wanted to be nice and do what they are saying, you likely wouldn't be successful in a suit against the previous owner as you have no standing to sue them.

The real problem is how do you convey this to your neighbors without poking the hornets nest of crazy that is apparently next door? You can either ignore them, confront/correct them, or pretend to help them.

In my opinion, pretending to help them will preserve your relationship with your new neighbors the best. Plus, they are not going to believe you anyway, so let your attorney, or the title insurance company, or really just anyone who is not you tell them.

• palimpsest
    last year

I'd start looking for another house. I don't think they are likely to accept the actual legal answer to this situation. They have already proven to be annoying neighbors.

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    last year

I would offer them empathy for their situation but politely let them know that they need to pursue compensation from the people who damaged their property and that wasn't you. Inform them that this is a dispute between you and the previous owners and that you wish them the best of luck in their case.

• palimpsest
    last year

Is this damage documented? Is it still evident?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

"I'd start looking for another house. I don't think they are likely to accept the actual legal answer to this situation. They have already proven to be annoying neighbors."

Hate to say it, but I have to agree -- if the cr*p started this early in the game, it's likely to only get worse. Especially if they don't get their way with this. Bad neighbors can make your life miserable and suck the life out of any joy you have in your house.

• homechef59
    last year

Call your closing attorney. Tell the attorney about the conversation. Then, provide your new neighbors with the closing attorney's phone number. They will explain the legal situation to your new neighbors.

Your neighbor is out of luck. They failed to file a lawsuit during the previous ownership. It's not your problem. You can provide your deepest sympathy to their dilemma. You can tell them that there was no claim of damage filed at the time of transfer and that you legally can't assume responsibility for the damage. Should they pursue a claim or file a lawsuit, your title insurance or homeowner's insurance should cover you.

Be really nice about it. You are in the right. They are in the wrong and don't seem to understand this. Too bad they decided to start a neighborly relationship on such a bad note. No doubt it will sour things going forward. The good news is you are warned about them and will proceed cautiously going forward in any future interactions.

• nancylouise5me
    last year

You are not responsible for what the previous owner said to their neighbor. Did they have a contract to fix the damage? Tell your neighbor No, you are not responsible for whatever happened before you purchased the house. He should have taken care of that before the house was sold. They have a dispute with the previous owner, not you.

• c t
    last year

Am I the only person cynical enough to suspect that the neighbor's garage needs repair totally unrelated to the renovation of the house, and is trying to pull a fast one?

• User
    last year

I also believe the neighbors are trying to bully them into fixing a problem that has nothing to do with the OP’s home. Why do I think this? Because someone attempted this with me. We had a rental home we bought when we were young twenty-something’s, and they claimed trees from my property were destroying their fence. They even got the city code enforcer to listen to them. It took five minutes for my husband to find the property stakes that proved the fence and trees were entirely on their property, not ours. Some people think if they make a huge fuss, they can bully and manipulate other people who seem younger or inexperienced.

Without proof the renovation damaged their garage, they have no recourse. If they have that proof, it would fall to them to seek recompense from the contractor, who should have liability insurance. If the homeowners did it themselves, the issue would be with them or potentially their insurance. At this point in the game, they can sue the previous owner but you did not buy a property with a claim against it. They would have to file a lien for your title insurance to even begin to consider paying these people.

I would say, “oh that sounds awful. I am sorry you are dealing with this. do you need the forwarding address for the previous owner?” You should not take any action based on a conversation.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

Your property didn't damage their property.

A person did.

No property claim.

Crazy is everywhere, especially when it smells money.

• C Kasp
    last year

I would give them the contact information for the previous owners and their real estate agent. No way you are responsible. Too bad. Hope they let it go eventually. They know they are wrong, but hoping you don't know.

• elcieg
    last year

Let your attorney handle it. Don't get involved in any more conversations with them. If they corner you, just tell the truth. You have turned the matter over to your attorney.

• Stax
    last year

The OP disappeared 12 days ago...