Software
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

Shades of Sunday: Wood and Paint Combos

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
Welcome to another Shades of Sunday! I hope you all are having a great Labor Day weekend. I know I am. ;)

If you feel like putting your creativity to work this weekend, we want to know what color combinations do you use to work with wood? Do you prefer going the cool route or the warm route?

Share your photos and tips down below and don't forget to tweet along with us on Twitter!

Twitter: @houzz
https://twitter.com/houzz


Parade 2012- Hacienda · More Info

Comments (14)

  • 13 years ago
    Hacienda terra cotta and green very relaxing.
  • 13 years ago
    Gorgeous photo Jeannie. That is one of my favorite colors.... terra cotta. And I am a "warm" color person. Years ago I used a slightly darker shade in my living room. It was an old dutch home in the East Indies and had been added onto to make a 40 x 30 sized room. It was a decorating challenge. The walls had always been an off-white. When I picked the deep terra cotta color the painter almost had a heart attack. He said, "No, no, I am sure you don't want that." I assured him I did. It helped optically bring the walls in a bit and give a cozier feel.

    I lived in the house ten years and everyone who entered it raved about the beautiful wall paint!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Every color works with wood! We find that selecting your favorite color whether its warm or cool, bold or subdued is easier when you take into account other factors like furnishings, photos or artwork or even fabrics like bedding and window treatments.
    And if you are still unsure we have professional color consultants to provide on site help!
  • 13 years ago
    That is SO true! Excellent point. I had a lot of terra cotta in my wall art and it popped with the wall color.
  • 13 years ago
    This looks very similar to "Keswick Brown" by Ralph Lauren that I saw on Open House NYC and I drove my daughter crazy until she hunted it down! I painted my family room this color and it takes on various shades throughout the course of the day. Love it. But the $75. gal. was way too pricey.
  • 13 years ago
    I like this strange slightly lighter than oatmeal colour and walnut, like a very light suede sort of colour
  • 13 years ago
    warm look with wood. The current color does not feel relaxing and cozy. Not a choice I would make. Lighter feels cozier with natural light and wood.
  • 13 years ago
    Depends on where you live ... you might want to use warm colors if you're in cold weather area ... and cool colors if you're in hot weather area (psychological impact)? I live in Palm Springs and wouldn't want to live in warm rooms (OK for accent touch but not as main color).
  • 13 years ago
    And then some of us look at it from a perspective that warm colors are cozy and inviting, while cool colors are austere and formal. That may not be a fair assessment to many. But that is what makes us so interesting and diverse in our approach to decorating. :)
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you for posting this, Jeannie. There are so few photos and discussions for those of us who have original wood trim consistent with the age and style of our homes and are looking for ideas. It's frustrating that the discussions so often go the way of "first paint all the trim white and then....". I'm afraid that many folks end up painting the trim because they see no other options.
  • 13 years ago
    Where is the lovely duvet or blanket/bedspread from. Love. It.
  • 13 years ago
    I was so happy to see a discussion on this topic! I know you are focussing on wood trim but I have a furniture dilemma. We have a bedroom set that is stained a medium cherry and I can't settle on a wall color that I'm happy with. I love blue for bedrooms but the one I chose when we first moved in 10 years ago is really bothering me. I feel like next to the cherry wood, it falls flat. I'm considering a warmer blue like Benjamin Moore Wedgewood Gray or gossamer blue. Do you have any suggestions on which direction to go with this wood tone? I'm attaching a picture of the existing paint color and our cherry bed.
  • 13 years ago
    I love the colors and the simplicity of this room. Beautiful view. What more do you need. Keep it simple with the warm color