Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doriswk

Why is squash cracked ? Qu about cross -breeding?

doriswk
last year
last modified: last year

I noticed a crack on what looked like a very fast growing close to 4 pound butternut squash . After a heat & dry spell it has been raining for two days...,I also noticed sudden cracks in some tomatoes... would the extra water have caused it ?

I harvested it so it won't spoil. Raw it tasted somewhat like zucchini, so I made a zucchini leek soup.

Another related question: I have planted 3 types of seeds from different squash groups, as I had read that this will prevent them from cross pollinating. : Acorn (C. pepo), Butternut (C. moschata), and Buttercup (C. maxima). First the buttercups showed up, looking like normal buttercups. Soon after some normal looking acorns. Then we struggled with an enormous amount of cucumber and Japanese beetles and our world went a little crazy with lots of destroyed blossoms, dying leaves, and some strange squashes showing up that we have no ID for. Can't go by color for judging harvest time.

I was sorry that I did not see any butternut squashes, until almost all squash plants started producing babies in the shape ( but not color) of butternuts, no matter what type of squash it had already produced.

Another experience teaching me not to believe everything I read ... But hey, after all the issues we are happy that there is some sort of squash growing.

Would it be that the male flower dictates the type of squash the plant grows? Just want to understand this...

Zone 5, Toronto

Comments (15)

• war garden
    last year

yes and yes

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    last year

Cracking often happens in tomatoes, where it's usually caused by a long dry spell followed by a lot of water. In tomatoes, the inner parts absorb water quickly, faster than the skin, which grows slowly. In tomatoes, the insides are especially juicy, so water absorption will be especially efficient. Not so in squash, BUT, in winter squash, the skin actually turns hard, such that the skin can't grow much at all, and lots of water encourages growth. So any growth on the inside will strain the skin.

As to the varieties, cross pollination is only an issue if you're saving seeds. If you have different squash showing up, well, you planted different squash. Strange squash suggest some strangeness in the seeds that you planted.

doriswk thanked daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Agree with Dan. The effects of cross pollination do not show up until the next generation. It would only show up this season if you used seeds saved from last year's crop.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Thanks for that clear explanation of cross pollination 🙂

FWIW, often the skin can scar over when winter squashes are damaged, cracked tomatoes too, as long as they're not fully ripe yet, and are still developing.

• doriswk
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry, don't quite understand "the effects .......would only show up this season if you used seeds saved from last year's crop." .? I am in Canada and always use seeds from last years crop, we only have one crop of winter squash per year, so can't use seeds from the same year.

The seeds we used were from a butternut, acorn, and a bittercup squash from a nearby farm. These squashes tasted and looked as expected. Are you saying that the cross pollination happened last year on the farm and not in our garden this year ? I get that, but still, why is one and the same plant grown from one seed only producing quite different looking squashes as you can see in pictures 2, 3 and 4 ?

• CA Kate z9
    last year

Are you sure that you have different squashes on the same plant? The vines in my garden criss-cross each other and I couldn't tell which is which until I get a baby.

• doriswk
    Original Author
    last year

Absolutely sure!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Am I understanding this correctly? You planted seeds saved from squashes you purchased from a local farm, and not from packaged seed?

• CA Kate z9
    last year

WIERD! One looks like a Hubbard and it's mate looks like a pumpkin. I can't imagine this.

• doriswk
    Original Author
    last year

Thats right, we planted seeds saved from squashes purchased last fall from a local farm, and not from packaged seed.

• Don V Zone 5-6 Cleveland OH
    last year

Cross pollination CANNOT affect the fruit, it will affect seeds. That "crack" looks exactly like damage healing, odd it is a nice circle.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

The previous statement is a bit confusing :-) Cross pollination can and does affect fruit......but only second generation fruit grown from harvested seeds that were subject to cross pollination.

If growing from packaged seeds, this year's fruit will (should) be true to type. It is usually only with hand collected seeds that you run a risk of strange fruit development.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    last year

Again, different squash on the same stem is a matter of reversion. It just means that the squash plant, at sometime in its history, was cross-pollinated, and genes for both kinds of fruit are independently represented in the plant. The crossed version should dominate, but it is *possible* that one or the other can assert itself. As noted, having different squash plants in the bed is just a matter of a seed handling mistake.

doriswk thanked daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Using saved seeds from plants that are not self pollinating is always a crapshoot. Squash is known to cross easily.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor