Software
Houzz Logo Print
matthew8911

Improving curb appeal and window grills

4 years ago

Moved into this house last year. Looking for ideas on improving curb appeal and we are thinking of removing the window grills. When removing the grills to clean we like the better view from inside, but does the design of the house make grills necessary? They are casements. What about the shutters. They are quite faded currently. Landscape wise we are going to be removing those bushes because they are overgrown.


Comments (10)

  • 4 years ago

    I would remove the shutters and the window grilles. Paint the door a more welcoming color and then awesome landscaping will make a lovely home

    Matthew thanked jck910
  • 4 years ago

    This house would look fine without the grilles, and looks good with them, too. I would remove the shutters.

  • 4 years ago

    Remove the shutters. Paint the house SW Alabaster and the door a deep warm gray. Design a landscaped “room” off of the center of your house. This will create focus for the front door. A fresh creamy white, minus shutters and a formal garden will give your beautiful home a new turn.

  • 4 years ago

    I agree with the others. Remove grilles and shutters. Beautiful home!

  • 4 years ago

    House looks nice - main issue seems to be landscaping. Is there really no walkway to the front door? If there is one that is hidden by the grass, I think there could be a much more welcoming one that is more visible.

  • 4 years ago

    Yes there is a walkway that goes off to the left. It is hard to see from that angle.

  • 4 years ago

    The previous owner was from France and designed the house himself and was going for a French look.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    no offense, but that current door color is ugly! does nothing for your home.

    let me show you a photoshop w/a nice wood door, bronze trimmed windows with and without shutters.

    I also took away the boring hedge and gave you some flowers


    Much better, no?

    what about this one? love the bronze lights, the more modern door, the beautiful hardscape walkway, flower beds. I left the right side w/o shutters, left side has a charcoal color shutter.


    Instead of shutters, what if you did a similar type of window trim that they show here?


    A huge part of curb appeal for you home is going to be the landscaping. Those long hedges detract from the appearance, and the lack of walkway just makes that huge expanse of grass less exciting!

    i've posted some other photoshops below:

    do your landscaping like this one


    Here's another one and I gave you all black shutters.

    you also really need a walkway to the front door. you could do it straight up the middle, or have it go off to one side like this one.

    I'm going to photoshop this onto yours in the next photo,,,




    I think if you must do shutters, I'd go w/a darker color

    any of these following colors would work. depends on the undertone of the stone.




    What about these colors? the sage green, copper/bronze metal, wood door,,and see next photo for Limestone hardscape.

    this type of path to the doors




    This one came out nice w/the black door, brick steps (you would do a diff stone material, not red brick) . I'm still on the fence about the shutters. (these aren't the right size either)






    The trim color on the after rendition is Revere Pewter. more modern door. no shutters.

    What do you think about the slate steps and walkway? love the hardscape w/the boulders and greenery.


    this landscaping would look very nice w/your home style. and the walkway.




    I think a limestone hardscape would look nice w/the french ranch








    Matthew thanked Beth H. :
  • 4 years ago

    I did up this for you



    whatever you do, get a diff door and get a landscape designer out there to come up w/the hardscape path.

    maybe plant a tree in the front somewhere.