Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
austinkisses2008z8a

@alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Austin
last year

Do I remember correctly that you love this rose? I am searching for a rose for a large oblique that is next to a fence for my son in Houston. He loves my rose gardens and I wanted to plant one that would be easy and always in bloom in our hot climate. He just added a new rose bed and is learning. Orange for UT would please his wife. I suggested Lady in Red because Ben liked it so much. What do you think?

Comments (25)

• jacqueline9CA
    last year

Does Houston have humid hot weather in the summer, or dry hot weather?

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    last year

BenT - thanks for the info. My climate is dry dry in our warm/hot summers, so I have no suggestions. Someone who gardens in a rain forest type climate could give good ones, I am sure.

Jackie

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

I know I'm not anywhere near Houston-ha, but live in zone 7, hot and dry, semiarid desert in southern Idaho. And I haven't grown this rose, either, but maybe sometime in the future, your son can give Double Easy Orange from Jackson & Perkins a try. it's a lovely orange, and one of our forum members grows it to perfection. He has a video of this rose in his garden. Forum members, I've forgotten his name, but if you remember it, please tell us. This member makes lots of terrific videos of the roses in his garden. He gardens in Florida, hot and humid.......BenT, and I thought Dallas was so humid, I could hardly stand it. Our motel kindly provided a flyswatter in the dresser drawer, the only time I've been given that amenity. Diane

• susan9santabarbara
    last year
    last modified: last year

Diane, the guy you're thinking of is @Hoang Ton. He gardens in Tallahassee. For some reason the link doesn't show up when i type his name, but he has a thread that's still on page two.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    last year

I always thought Laura Bush rose was the perfect UT Austin burnt orange, and someone on HMF in Houston recommends her:

Diane,

A fly swatter, really! I’m sure once you saw that, you knew you would be spoiled and coddled in luxury, no little detail overlooked, no ma’am.! I actually don’t think Dallas is terrible with flies, that swatter was probably intended for mosquitos, you’d rather wish they were flies.

• jacqueline9CA
    last year

My last post disappeared, and now there are 9 large things Houzz calls "related stories" obliterating the bottom half of the page, but of course they are really adds.

Jackie

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    last year

Just happened to check in on this forum - have been busy this summer with watering, trying to keep from smothering in the humidity and getting some projects done. Not sure which rose Austin is referring to but I believe I might have mentioned Tangerine Skies to her. Its a climber and I adore it. I have 2 and wouldnt mind having another. It is an offspring of Westerland and tho I really like this rose, I like TS much better. Mine grow big and strong and both have alot of blooms on them now, which is more than I can say for most of mine, who are just trying to survive the terribly hot summer we have had.

I lost a small Lady In Red climber that was just starting to come on - before I had a shade cloth structure put above a series of steps I keep my small potted roses on. I ordered another and it will be here Wednesday. This rose, though small, was super healthy and had lovely blooms. It just couldnt take the all day baking sun in a pot in spite of diligent watering on my part. Glad to hear Ben likes it! If he says its good - I am sold!

Judith

• jacqueline9CA
    last year

Does Houzz demand you sign in each time you want to comment on a post?

• Austin
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you everyone. Yes it was Tangerine Skies . I have Lady in Red I brought from Dallas. It was grafted but new in Feb 2021.
    It is in a pot waiting on me to find if it a new home and has been in bloom since I moved Dec 23. Thank you Ben for that one😍

• Austin
    Original Author
    last year

Oh and I just went down to H over the weekend to do his August cut back. (Had been too hot to do earlier) His roses are big and healthy and only in ground since Feb. I was impressed. Hate the humidity. Had forgotten how unpleasant it is to work outside. But, all that moisture is helpful for growth if you get the right bush and spray. Houston was my starting spot and it was tough in the old days with most roses getting blackspot. Blooms don’t fry like in Dallas/ Austin summers and summer blooms are bigger . You west coast rosarians have no idea how lucky you are. 😎

• Austin
    Original Author
    last year

Apparently when I made the initial post I forgot to put in the rose name I was asking about which was Tangerine Skies. It seems to have mixed reviews so thanks Alameda

last year

Judith,

Does Tangerine Skies repeat well for you? I grew Westerland back in Texas, I like the color and fragrance, but there wasn’t much repeat after the spring flush.

Austin and Judith,

I hope Lady in Red does well for you. I thought it’d my one rose that would have color on it EVERY day from mid-April through November, I observed it carefully one season and indeed she suceeded!

With clematis Viola Voilacea in late spring:

As a solo act later in the summer:

• susan9santabarbara
    last year

@jacqueline9CA I have this page bookmarked and I read it on the web. One click, and all of the posts come up in chronological order. No sign-in, it's just there. Ones I haven't read are bolded in the title. I often wonder if many of the problems people report are a result of them doing some type of email/list serve thing where they have to notify you of posts.

• Austin
    Original Author
    last year

Lady in Red was my suggestion for my son. Those pictures convinced me last year Ben and I bought her. She was one of the only 3 roses I potted up and moved with me to Austin. Wish I had taken a cutting of Evelyn since I learned she is no longer available from DA. Evelyn and Dark Lady are my favorites for constant quality blooms and they are going to be hard to find. Dark Lady is no good ORoot but I hear Evelyn might be.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    last year

Ben, Tangerine Skies repeats very well for me. My first one is climbing an arbor on thick canes and is so gorgeous blooming up high against a blue sky. Wish I knew how to post photos.......I dont know who or why someone would not like this rose. Westerland is lovely but not nearly as pretty as TS - and doesnt bloom as well. I have 2 Westerlands, which do grow well, at the entrance to my garden cottage and I now wish I had Tangerine Skies there instead. I love Polka too..........Try TS - you wont be sorry.

Judith

• rosecanadian
    last year

Ben - I'm in awe of your Lady in Red!!! You have the greenest thumb!! :) :)

• jacqueline9CA
    last year

Susan - thanks for the info - I also have it book marked, and until the last week or so it acted (no sign ins, no weird adds interrupting the comments) it acted just as you described. Now I have to sign in every time, but I am getting used to that, sigh>

Jackie

last year

Judith,

Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll have to see if my local nursery still has Tangerine Skies, they had some gorgeous 5 gal plants about a month ago

Carol

I really can’t take much credit for Lady in Red, she is just one of the easiest roses ever.

Austin

Hope you’re able to find your Dark Lady grafted. The older DA roses are getting harder to find, that’s a shame.

Austin thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • rosecanadian
    last year

Ben...I give you lots of credit...you can grow anything! :) :)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last year

Hot humid sauna..that's my backyard lol.

-Teasing Georgia is one of the best for keeping its leaves disease free and being a carefree blooming fragrant climber here in FL. TG is one I strongly recommend for hot humid climates.

-Olivia also does well..good bloomer, but isnt as strong as a climber and not as fragrant. Leaves stay healthy.

-Quicksilver stays cleans and has turned out to be a bloom machine. Not that fragrant though.

-Spirit of Freedom is great here too. Good climber, awesome fragrance, heavy bloomer. I don't get any balling even though she has over 200 petals!

-Don Juan is pretty good here if you want a red climber. It gets a little black spot during the worst of our summer rainy season but nothing major.

-Tangerine Skies hasn't been as disease free here but I do have it in a pot still. It might be better once its in the ground. Then again, the others are all still in pots (some for several yrs) and they bloom more & are disease free.

• jacqueline9CA
    last year

Wow - I love Lady in Red, and how the blooms contrast with the dark new foliage.

On another topic, I seem to be able to comment on threads now without all of the bother - hope this lasts!

Jackie

• rosecanadian
    last year

Jackie - that's good. :) :)